Burning Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another thing to consider is that those that convert their complimentary outputs to single ended will have 6 matched 240's per side to use.

If that isn't enough and they need to go to the 250's then the 240's may become avaialble. I assume people won't hoard them.

Seems like there will be enough to go around. Certainly if you remove output devices from a case you should desolder them carefully from the circuit board so that both can be reused..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ok, this "making up my mind" is tough!

luckily, I am in no real hurry, although some here are.

Here is a question to Nelson or Zennie or whoever:

Nelson originally mentioned making F4's out of the amps because it is a more straightforward proposition. Some here want as simple a project as possible. I am very much enjoying my F4 clones that I recently rebuilt and completed. They are a very worthy project for your Burning Amps and sound great!

So, my brother has some extra transformers with dual 25 volt outputs which should give about -/+33 volt rails, right? And the Burning Amp chassis have 6 pairs of devices per side, twice what a regular F4 has.

So, would this combo, 33V and twice as many output devices work out for a kick-butt F4? I guess we don't want to cook the JFETS, but clearly there are ways around this. What sort of power output would it have?

Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Ok, this "making up my mind" is tough!

luckily, I am in no real hurry, although some here are.

Here is a question to Nelson or Zennie or whoever:

Nelson originally mentioned making F4's out of the amps because it is a more straightforward proposition. Some here want as simple a project as possible. I am very much enjoying my F4 clones that I recently rebuilt and completed. They are a very worthy project for your Burning Amps and sound great!

So, my brother has some extra transformers with dual 25 volt outputs which should give about -/+33 volt rails, right? And the Burning Amp chassis have 6 pairs of devices per side, twice what a regular F4 has.

So, would this combo, 33V and twice as many output devices work out for a kick-butt F4? I guess we don't want to cook the JFETS, but clearly there are ways around this. What sort of power output would it have?

Mark

who is Nelson ?

:rofl:

to be on safe side - you need cascoding these little critters on input ...... and maybe even paralleling another pair ......

:devilr:
certainly most convenient way is to use 2SK389+2SJ109 on input

:devily:

I'm pretty sure that Papa will answer to your questions faster than that "Nelson" guy ........

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I played around with adding some surface area to the existing heat sinks in anticipation of getting more than 30W from my smaller chassis No. 34 (4 transistor pairs/ side) and came up with this straightforward addition.

My Big Question: What's the most single-ended performance I can reasonably squeeze from my bag of IRF250 and my smaller chassis and pcb?

Attachments

• no34 iso rear.jpg
    no34 iso rear.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 476
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Variac: If I went the tubular route I would expect to mill a ~1/4 inch flat on each tube to increase the mounting area. (The tubes are shown as 1.25 inch diameter.) I first thought about rectangular tubes (especially as they would be much easier to work with), but figured they 'cover up' or rob a lot of existing area where they mount. I am definitely open to ideas!

Here's a look from above with the cover transparent.

Attachments

• no34 top1.jpg
    no34 top1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 436
" ... I'd like to get at least 30W out of it. ..."

... talking like you need 30 watts of heat dissipation (?) ... The sinks are already mighty healthy. I'm installing 400 watt industrial strength MOSFET modules under powered by ~ 25% = ~ 300 watts expected each side ... since all my other amps don't even get warm to the touch with smaller sinks, I figured these standard aluminum channels to be plenty ...

BUT then again I don't really know how Pass Labs' hardware / designs work exactly or how much is enough or too much.

:smash:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mr. Fast,
Single ended class A is unbelievably hot running if Tosh is planning to go in that directuon. More heatsinks allow more bias - a very good thing. But I think I would build the thing first, then see if more is needed..

Tosh,
As far as robbing existing area, I think that you will really want that common area to transfer the heat- after all they aren't one piece-bolted together isn't as efficient as if they were.. then again, what do I know other than the above..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.