Burning Amplifier BA-1

Is it possible to use the BA-3 frontend and the BA-1 outputstage?
How do I connect then?

Yes.

I cannot directly answer the second question but I believe it will be self explanatory once you start. I built the BA-3 front end as a separate stand alone preamplifier with it's own PS section. I believe all is required is to hook up the signal in and outs and + and - power and away you go.

Came to think about this, if you use e.g. the BA-3 front end as a preamplifier and then the complete BA-3 (front end plus output stage) as a power amplifier, you could reduce this to an integrated amplifier by building the complete BA-3 with input selector and volume control in one box. The separate aproach only has a meaning if you prefer the power amplifier close to the loudspeakers.

Came to think about this, if you use e.g. the BA-3 front end as a preamplifier and then the complete BA-3 (front end plus output stage) as a power amplifier, you could reduce this to an integrated amplifier by building the complete BA-3 with input selector and volume control in one box. The separate aproach only has a meaning if you prefer the power amplifier close to the loudspeakers.

I built the power amplifier as a stand alone without any voltage gain much like how the F4 operates. Like the F4 it depends on a preamplifier for the voltage gain. I actually prefer the sound better using a tube preamplifier rather than the BA-3 preamplifier, this is with horns mind you.

I built the power amplifier as a stand alone without any voltage gain much like how the F4 operates. Like the F4 it depends on a preamplifier for the voltage gain. I actually prefer the sound better using a tube preamplifier rather than the BA-3 preamplifier, this is with horns mind you.

My error writing before thinking. And checking the BA-3. Conceptually though, a power amplifier with enough gain could be used as proposed - without a pre.

My error writing before thinking. And checking the BA-3. Conceptually though, a power amplifier with enough gain could be used as proposed - without a pre.

The purpose of the B1 or of course you could use some pots that Nelson does not approve of. I do not think using a passive with the 1V or so from a computer will achieve enough volume with every MP3 file even with my very efficient horns. With a CD player with it's higher output a passive would be fine. I think most of the Firstwatt clones will benefit using a pre with computer MP3 files. In the days of only CD players the B1 was a great option.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it possible to use the BA-3 frontend and the BA-1 outputstage?
How do I connect then?

you have all answers on beginning of BA3 article

Papa didn't include those schematics for nuttin'

something as :

Both of these circuits now include the necessary components to bias the output stages.
The BA-3
For various rational and irrational reasons, amplifiers without negative feedback loops are of
interest to many DIY amplifier builders. With the BA-1 and BA-2 we already have output
stages which operated without loop correction, but they both have a front end which uses a
local feedback loop to improve the performance, and in this regard their performance is pretty
conventional, if simpler than most.
So I think it would be fun to make the BA-3 front end also without the feedback loop and mate
it to follower output stages (BA-1 and BA-2 output stages for example) to form complete
amplifiers without feedback loops.

someone didn't do homework ?

:devily:

I've been looking at a BA-1 frontend for a while as my current output stage ideas all have fairly low voltage gain... so I have questions about the bootstrapping of Q203: Does it work when combined with current source amps too or does it need a low output impedance voltage source output stage to function?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you need that bootstrap for obtaining proper voltage swing at node +D

that's your call which sort of OS you're going to use and , according to that , to connect or not nodes -D and S ......

however , I'm not fully getting what you mean by "current source amps" here ....... if anything can be called that , BA1 OS exactly can ......... even if I'm wrapping that in my head as function of entire amp topology , not just OS per se

btw. , you can also use BA3 OS (call it F4 if you like ) ...... which is classic source follower stage

you need that bootstrap for obtaining proper voltage swing at node +D

that's your call which sort of OS you're going to use and , according to that , to connect or not nodes -D and S ......

however , I'm not fully getting what you mean by "current source amps" here ....... if anything can be called that , BA1 OS exactly can ......... even if I'm wrapping that in my head as function of entire amp topology , not just OS per se

btw. , you can also use BA3 OS (call it F4 if you like ) ...... which is classic source follower stage

Yes, the idea is to connect +D to the input of the output stage but to have a common source one instead of common drain. And then not add any feedback other than degeneration keeping the output impedance high at 100 ohm or more.

And lastly, if I've understood correctly the bootstrapping itself is kind of feedback but my hope was that it will not impact on the output impedance of the amp in any significant way. In that case it might be better for me to swap the bootstrap for a normal CCS. While this large voltage swing is nice my output stage will have some gain so I could get away with less swing on the front end.

Attachments

• FrontEnd.png
    FrontEnd.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited: