Building with the Soekris dam1121

I've been having an extended listen to my DAM1121 through my Noir HPA today - must say I'm impressed with the sound quality. I'm really looking forward to adding the 300B HPA modules into the chassis with the 1121.

Here's a thing though; I'm finding the best sound is achieved by upsampling to 352/384KHz using HQPlayer (V4) and I've set the 1121 filter to 'Minimum' (whatever that is under the new firmware version?) and started to explore the different filters/shapers in HQPlayer. The settings below sound nice.

Is anyone else using HQPlayer? I have a nagging reservation about using two lots of filters.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 284
Joined 2004
Paid Member
upsampling to 352/384KHz using HQPlayer (V4) and I've set the 1121 filter to 'Minimum'

If you up sample everything to 352/384 (as I so), the first FIR1 is bypassed, so filter choosing is ineffective.

I tried HQP (Roon-HQP-SOtm200-DAM1941) to upsample PCM to 352/384 PCM, but it wasn't significantly better, than Roon ROCK same upsample.

Upsampling everything to DSD was other than PCM (better? very dependent of source quality), but horrible resource requirement (I tried XEON server as PC) was not worth it.

If you up sample everything to 352/384 (as I so), the first FIR1 is bypassed, so filter choosing is ineffective.

Hmm, that'll maybe explain why I could hear the sound change with the different HQP filters but struggled to hear a difference with the Soekris filter settings.

I tried HQP (Roon-HQP-SOtm200-DAM1941) to upsample PCM to 352/384 PCM, but it wasn't significantly better, than Roon ROCK same upsample.

I've only tried upsampling within the Soekris versus upsampled by HQP (HQP being the player in both cases) and think I can hear a significant difference, the HQP upsampling sounding better. When letting the Soekris do the upsampling I turned off the HQP filters/shapers/etc.

Upsampling everything to DSD was other than PCM (better? very dependent of source quality), but horrible resource requirement (I tried XEON server as PC) was not worth it.

I have a DSC2 decoder so I already have a powerful computer with HQP installed for upsampling material to DSD (upto DSD512, depending on the HQP settings - you might have noticed from my HQP settings) but i can't see the point in using DSD with the Soekris as it will simply convert it to 352KHz PCM.

How can one multichannel the dam1121?

If connecting two dam1121: one master, one slave, in synchronous mode; I2S or SPDIF input.

The manual is focused on dual mono configuration, where the master board has i2s and spdif input and the save has (only?) i2s input from master.

But how can I set up and connect for example 4 channels (synchronous)?
Must the slave get it's i2s from master board then? Is it at all possible to feed SPDIF into a slave board?

Søren - one of my 1121 boards (serial # 012) has a distorted right channel. It appears, after putting it on a scope, that the negative rail on that side is low. Asymmetric waveform. It's still playing but distorted on that channel. Could you give me a section of schematic (PM) that might help track it down? Or suggest where we check to save time prodding it with a probe.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Søren - one of my 1121 boards (serial # 012) has a distorted right channel. It appears, after putting it on a scope, that the negative rail on that side is low. Asymmetric waveform. It's still playing but distorted on that channel. Could you give me a section of schematic (PM) that might help track it down? Or suggest where we check to save time prodding it with a probe.

Check the voltages on the bank of capacitors, then check the analog currents. If current is high then something is drawing too much current on that bank, like a bad capacitor, if not, then it's probably an opa365 gone bad....

Check the voltages on the bank of capacitors, then check the analog currents. If current is high then something is drawing too much current on that bank, like a bad capacitor, if not, then it's probably an opa365 gone bad....

Søren - thanks for the above. Was a bad capacitor in the end. Seemed to be a defective opamp based on the image below but after replacing the OPA365 the issue was still there so a check of the caps found one that was resistive, not dead-shorted, fortunately. Back up and running now.

After the repair a quick check on an AP could not get near your stated figure for THD at -60db in the Quick Specifications. Was that figure measured with the board in balanced mode?

Attachments

• 1121.JPG
    1121.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 280
Hi there,
I tried to upgrade the firmware of my dam1121 but failed. I used a USB to serial cable, connected the TX,RX,GND to COM_RXD, COM_TXD and GND of dam1121, TeraTerm opened the port with 115200bps. Then I turned on the dac, it shows monster text.

I tried reverse the pins TX and RX and confirm that it is correct. It just shows monster text and not accepting +++. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

Attachments

• dam1121_serial.JPG
    dam1121_serial.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 211
Hi there,
I tried to upgrade the firmware of my dam1121 but failed. I used a USB to serial cable, connected the TX,RX,GND to COM_RXD, COM_TXD and GND of dam1121, TeraTerm opened the port with 115200bps. Then I turned on the dac, it shows monster text.

Just to be on the safe side: what usb serial cable do you use? The dam1121 is not rs232 level but TTL / 3V3 Level. You must be careful not to damage anything.