Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

Hi Hanze,

If its okay to ask the value of I/V resistor, the step-up transforsmer ratio, the triode type (number) and how you are loading the tube?

Of course, it's aDIY forum :) 18R or 25R (for 2xTDA1541A) to Jensen MC 1:8 (configurable 1:4) to choke loaded 46. Pls take a look at the attachment to my previous post. The output impedance of the tube is quite high but my amp can take it with 50k input impedance and short (<1m) cables in between.

There is an option to avoid the CCS and the transformer altogether, and simply bias an appropriate tube with the current offset (remember its a negative current) of the 1541A through the IV resistor, tube cathode direct to signal common, which probably saves you a couple extra parts from the cathode/filament circuit as well.

That's interesting, thanks for suggesting. Tube needs about -8V bias, with 4mA DC from 2xTDA1541 would mean 2k I/V?? PLus the gain is only about 5. I guess not with this tube.

Thanks again HK!

Hey Diyiggy,
Well I played around with some film caps though not of such high values but I just did not like what I heard but when I tested the line output transformer it was a different world all together. You hear everything in the music & it comes through very naturally no etching sound or whatsoever. As to how I get the bass from, it's my self developed recipe.
Im unsure why but many diyers just think that stepping up the voltage using using a trafo will do a good job. 2 crucial points on hand here, output impedance of the trafo & to me most important current drive. Without enough current music will just sound un-dynamic.

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have to improve my swim in order to avoid the planes, boats, trains or put my bath tube on the sea and construct a diy wind... then maybe I could take it back, lol ! Long road from Europe than your country side guys, long time I didn't went there and it should last because this 5 microns monster ! (bass and snap, I told you, it's about C5&C6 and gnd behavior...this chip is very special with its three V rails ;) )

Last edited:
@ diyiggy: yes and same to you, my regards to Leia.
@ sumotan: yes too much hassle, all of it :)
@ phixphi: yes, needs tube that is happy to bias near 0V and with higher gain. I like your approach, I bet it sounds great.

HK

Hi Hanz
If one uses a step up trafo at the I/V stage output impedance would be high & after that you add a tube stage which would have to have high RP right ?
So why not use just passive I/V into tube stage & output via opt, that way you kill two birds with 1 stone not needing a signal cap there & reducing output impedance as well.

Hi Hanz
If one uses a step up trafo at the I/V stage output impedance would be high & after that you add a tube stage which would have to have high RP right ?
So why not use just passive I/V into tube stage & output via opt, that way you kill two birds with 1 stone not needing a signal cap there & reducing output impedance as well.

Yep thats what I like to do, too. Mu 70 Rp 2k2 33R I/V 2:1 OPT.
But there are other ways and certainly interesting method with type 46 as per the other poster, and if driving 50k input impedance, Rp 2 to 3k is no problem.

HK

Last edited:
Hi Hanze
I experimented with passive moons back though not with opt.
If you're going 2 stage trafo you might have to go parallel TDA
to get better dynamics 1 TDA too polite.

Hi Sumotan,
Unsure what you mean, I use direct -2mADC offset through 33R I/V to bias grid of mu 70 triode (p), Rk 10R, Ip 15mA, Rp 2k2, plate load 45H 2:1 OPT.
If I didnt need a low output impedance 1:1 would be very much my preference.
You can add more pieces if you want, I dont mind :)
HK

Last edited:
@ Phixphi
In your attachment I would place the I/V resistor on the secondary (properly scaled with the transformer turns ratio). In my experience this works better and I would make part of the 39K adjustable.

To sink the unbalanced current, there must be a DC path from the chip output to...somewhere :D ... if I understand correctly to +5V. That's why I'm not sure how to implement @ecdesign idea of sinking 2mA to tube's B+. There must be a return path to the chip somewhere. In my case tube and DAC are galvanically separated by the OT. Secondary loading vs. primary loading the OT is a subject on its own. With my MC cartridges I prefer primary loading. Some great info here: :: View topic - SUT Selection The experimentation will show but I think my OT wants to see a well defined driving impedance to preform best.

@diyiggy
Yes, I know Pedja's PDF. Apart from two led lights that I don't think I need, his implementation of 8414 differs from the datasheet only in a 3.3nF cap shorting the RC filter circuit. And a bit changed RC values.

@sumotan
Transformers are good on paper but v difficult to make them right in real life. Each introduces apart from nonlinear also phase errors. I went for LC coupled tube with a massive (compared to the tube Rp) choke and a cap as easier solution.

@Hanze thanks :) What is yuor tube if I may ask?

@ Hanze sorry miss understood your post, noted

@ phixphi For now I'm using 600:600 ohm line out on my AyA dac makes a world of difference in SQ when compared to caps. Hope to test out a wacky tube solution in a couple of months time. Good thing about the trafo that I have is that it can handle 60 ma of dc offset.

To sink the unbalanced current, there must be a DC path from the chip output to...somewhere :D ... if I understand correctly to +5V. That's why I'm not sure how to implement @ecdesign idea of sinking 2mA to tube's B+. There must be a return path to the chip somewhere. In my case tube and DAC are galvanically separated by the OT. Secondary loading vs. primary loading the OT is a subject on its own. With my MC cartridges I prefer primary loading. Some great info here: :: View topic - SUT Selection The experimentation will show but I think my OT wants to see a well defined driving impedance to preform best.
You sink the 2 mA from the chip through a resistor to 155V. So actually this resistor should not be 39 Kohm , if you move the I/V resistor to the secondary side of the transformator but 77,5 Kohm. I would make it 75 Kohm resistor and a 10 Kohm trimmer in series.

You sink the 2 mA from the chip through a resistor to 155V. So actually this resistor should not be 39 Kohm , if you move the I/V resistor to the secondary side of the transformator but 77,5 Kohm. I would make it 75 Kohm resistor and a 10 Kohm trimmer in series.

I sink 4mA (2xTDA1541), but actually I think what I drew is not sinking anything since there is no connection from +155V supply to the chip. It must not be what John had in mind. The DC unbalanced current must have a path back to the chip. I think to +5V, the experts pls correct me if I'm wrong.

@sumotan What caps did you use? They are a b*tch. I've spend on the caps and the choke same as for a pair of good outputs...

Attachments

• 4mA DC removal tube.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I sink 4mA (2xTDA1541), but actually I think what I drew is not sinking anything since there is no connection from +155V supply to the chip. It must not be what John had in mind. The DC unbalanced current must have a path back to the chip. I think to +5V, the experts pls correct me if I'm wrong.

@sumotan What caps did you use? They are a b*tch. I've spend on the caps and the choke same as for a pair of good outputs...

If the two grounds are not connected, you are right. No sinking anywhere.
You can use the +5V (and a 1,25 Kohm resistor ) or any other positive supply with ground common to the chip (and of course a properly scaled resistor)