Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

Hi Wargreymon,

¿Are you still experimenting with the TDA1541A or you have already reached the best that chip can deliver?

I stopped experimenting with the TDA1541A for now.

The problem with the TDA1541A(S2) is that it sounds technically "correct" but fails to offer the level of involvement or capture artist emotion like analogue audio sources like vinyl or studio tape can.

The final SDV1-player is not based on a TDA1541A. The DAC chip was selected for lowest possible jitter contribution and easiest and most effective implementation of active jitter control.

Customers report that it equals or exceeds sound quality of vinyl.

TDA1541A have diode-transistor switch to switch on or off bit current.
Thus their threshold voltage is affected by voltage of Iout pin node.(normally 0V)
Is this the Voff from the curve? It seems to suggest that an offset of slightly more than 0,050 - 0,060 volt? This is easily obtained with a current source. By the way I used 2SK30 CCS at 2 mA and the output drifted slowly up and down :)eek:).

Hence, it may be able to trim switch timing to minimize glitch by trimming no signal voltage at Iout.
Can you explain that a little bit more?

Is this the Voff from the curve?
Yes.That also equal to Vout in left figure(第4図) of first picture because of vatual short.

It seems to suggest that an offset of slightly more than 0,050 - 0,060 volt? This is easily obtained with a current source. By the way I used 2SK30 CCS at 2 mA and the output drifted slowly up and down :)eek:).
Why, how do you use JFET?
Typical external offset adjusting circuit is suitable in this situation.
see fig5 b
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-037.pdf

Can you explain that a little bit more?
See right figure of first picture(第5図).
The glitch is caused by mismatch of transition timing of "bit1 Iout" and "bit2 Iout".
Then left figure(第4図).
If we assume the forward voltage of diode and Vbe of transistor in diode-transistor switch is equivalent,
the switch turnovers when Vsw exceeds Voff or falls less than Voff.
Therefore Voff affects the transition timing.

Imagine when Voff drops a little, what happens the timing in (第5図).

Why, how do you use JFET?
external offset adjusting circuit is suitable in this situation.
see fig5 b

I used a JFET as CCS to dump 2 mA in the TDA1541, but I noticed that the result on the out pins is a very slow drift. This is with a passive I/V output.
Indeed with an opamp I never saw that because the opamp defines the zero at the input.
The drift is not from the 2SK30AGR JFET (wouldn't expect so.., never saw that), not temperature instable specially that one.

Hi Shinja,

Last week,I went library to read old audio magazine.
Although it was not my objective, I found a interesting tweak of TDA1541A that is employed in nakamichi 1000p, in its commentary article.

Check Fig. 9 in this link:

Philips TDA1541A d/a converter - DutchAudioClassics.nl

Glitch current (largest glitch) equals 0.25 LSB. Therefore the TDA1541A needs no deglitcher.

Nakamichi published the distortion at 1kHz 0dB signal is lowered about a half with this tweak.

The first CD player was introduced 31 years ago. Engineers had 31 years time for lowering THD to vanishing low levels and they sure did. The resulting sound quality is still flat, synthetic, uninvolving, distorted and emotionless compared to vinyl.

There even seems to be a come-back of vinyl because of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/arts/music/vinyl-records-are-making-a-comeback.html?pagewanted=all

It's Alive! Vinyl Makes a Comeback | Postmodern Times by Eric Felten - WSJ.com

Hi Shinja,

The first CD player was introduced 31 years ago. Engineers had 31 years time for lowering THD to vanishing low levels and they sure did. The resulting sound quality is still flat, synthetic, uninvolving, distorted and emotionless compared to vinyl.

There even seems to be a come-back of vinyl because of this:

We just need to move on from CD.

Higher sample rate PCM and DSD128 (5.6MHz) have proven subjectively to
replicate analog masters when copied very very well.

Direct download of a variety of formats are available.

Personally I would be putting your energy into a USB interfaced DAC that will
play all the current formats. The potential performance will leave 1541 a
long way behind. Having said that the 1541 is damn musical sounding
for red book replay - but time marches on. We have many options now.

T

Hi Shinja,

Glitch current (largest glitch) equals 0.25 LSB. Therefore the TDA1541A needs no deglitcher.
yes,I knew it.
And Nakamichi must have known it too.
However Nakamichi might try to build ultimate DAC at that time,so they introduced a tweak like this.
1000p equipped not only special deglitching circuit which I wrote, but also linearlity correction sub-DAC and factory calibrated PROM individually.

TDA1541A have THD spec typical:0.0018% to max:0.0032% from datasheet.
This tweak may make worse chip to be better performance, or typical chip to catch S2 spec, I expect.

I used a JFET as CCS to dump 2 mA in the TDA1541, but I noticed that the result on the out pins is a very slow drift. This is with a passive I/V output.
Indeed with an opamp I never saw that because the opamp defines the zero at the input.
I see.
This tweak is unsuitable for passive IV circuit.

Last edited:
Hi wlowes,

Based on the comparison, the plain 78XX regulator performs a lot better than the much more expensive Burson regulator. It may be a drop-in replacement but it is unlikely to lead to a cleaner power supply.

DACs and streamers that suffer from slightest jitter will introduce clearly audible distortion. Jitter is affected by power supply noise and ripple (trigger uncertainty, masterclock that is extremely sensitive to power supply noise and so on).

Degrading to a poorer performing voltage regulator will increase jitter but it will also change the jitter spectrum. The changed jitter spectrum may lead to better perceived sound quality due to the masking effect. This however is moving away instead of towards ultimate transparency.

It is difficult to construct a voltage regulator that does everything right. Every regulator has its advantages and disadvantages.

Every voltage regulator needs a reference voltage, this is the most important part of the regulator. When it varies (with changing input voltage for example), the output voltage varies too as it is derived from this reference voltage. Often LEDs or zener diodes are used. These do not offer a reference voltage that is stable enough, not even when operated at a constant current. Often the CCS feeding the reference voltage LED is also based on a LED as reference. In short, this does not lead to required ultra stable reference voltage. Bandgap reference circuits offer a much more stable output voltage, but also generate more noise compared to a LED. This noise can be filtered out with a RC or LC filter for example. Then we have both, an extremely stable reference voltage and low noise.

Next problem is that the circuit connected to this RC filter will need to have highest possible input impedance. If not, current drawn from the RC or LC filter will still lead to voltage fluctuations. One possible option is using a MOSFET.

In order to provide good load and line regulation we need plenty of gain. In practice an open loop gain of 10 million or more is required. When the feedback loop is closed, oscillations and instabilities may occur, especially when the load current changes suddenly. This is the most difficult part of the voltage regulator, keeping the circuit as stable as possible. It helps to design a circuit that has largest possible bandwidth, then a unity gain circuit is the most logical solution. This means that the reference voltage must be almost equal to the desired output voltage.

Other issue is that a (perfect) voltage regulator will pollute the unregulated input voltage. This can be explained by the varying load current. When multiple voltage regulators share one common input voltage, cross pollution can occur (one voltage regulator pollutes the input voltage of the other and vice versa). Therefore it is desirable to feed each voltage regulator with a separate unregulated voltage.

Since the voltage regulator has to correct for both, varying input voltage and varying load current, both will show up in the error signal and may crosstalk to the output, especially when high frequency ripple voltage is present (digital circuit), this high frequency will then act as carrier for the error signal part from the input voltage. The input voltage noise can still reach the output through "radio transmission".

The mains voltage is highly polluted nowadays, this problem needs to be tackled too. One can use the transformer itself as low pass filter by connecting a 2u2 film cap on the secondary windings. The transformer type also matters a lot, each transformer type has different stray capacitance between primary and secondary windings. This stray capacitance should be kept as low as possible.

This type of transformer has low stray capacitance (25pF typical) because of the way it is constructed:

FL6/9 - BLOCK - TRANSFORMER, 6VA, 2 X 9V | Farnell Nederland

These are not bad either (50pF typical):

PT 7.5/2/9 - BLOCK - TRANSFORMER, 7.5VA, 2 X 9V | Farnell Nederland

These transformers do have a problem, external magnetic field. So it is advised to use these in an external power supply unit and never put these inside the DAC.

This Toroidal transformer (300pF typical) has low external magnetic field and may be placed inside the DAC.

Buy Toroidal Transformers Transformer Toroidal PCB 7VA 2x9V o/p Nuvotem 70031K online from RS for next day delivery.

Using a number of separate (toroidal) transformers to power a DAC is a bad idea because every transformer has certain stray capacitance and all capacitances are summed. Example, 4 toroidal transformers form above link are used to power a DAC, summed stray capacitance equals 1200pF!

Transformer stray capacitance increases with transformer power (VA). When using over-dimensioned transformers, stray capacitance is significantly increased and more mains interference can reach the DAC through this stray capacitance.

So it is best to use a single (custom) transformer with multiple secondary windings that is correctly dimensioned (not overdimensioned) for the connected load.

Logical conclusion is also that shunt regulators are less suitable as these consume almost twice the amount of power of a series regulator. This requires doubling the transformer capacity and thus increasing transformer stray capacitance.

The most elegant solution is a DAC that draws as little power as possible (series regulators) connected to a small external transformer of the type showed in the first link (flat transformers). This will give best possible performance while running on a heavily polluted mains voltage.

Mains voltage pollution is mainly caused by energy saver (LED) lamps that run on unfiltered switch-mode converters (low-cost), and every device that contains a SMPS. It helps to switch-off or unplug these devices before a listening session as these always degrade sound quality to some extent.

Thanks, and to wlowes.

Many tda1541a designs I have seen have the -15v, and -5v regulators from a common input supply or the -15v feeds both the dac, and the op amp filter and IV.

I will have to look if there is a suitable voltage reference close to 15v.

Hi CFT,

So John is the final SDV1-player mentioned above same as the SD1 SD player on your site?

I will only offer the SDV1-player now (with integrated shunt volume control / variable passive I/V resistor).

The final SDV1-player and final MB1-monoblocks now look like this (attached pictures).

Attachments

• sdv1.jpg
    sdv1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,382
  • sdv2.jpg
    sdv2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,354
  • mb1-1.jpg
    mb1-1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,327
Hi maxlorenz,

Hi maxlorenz,

By the way I saw the Youtube vids of your Tannoy Autograph clone speakers, impressive work!

Let's call it the mystery chip :D The chip type is important of course, but the application is the most important.

Thank you very much. Your work is impressive too :D
That system has the scrambler-interpolator DAC, which I love, with integrated SD player/USB selector option--> TVC--> active crossover at 1Khz based on Pass' B1 buffer-->UCD 180/400 amps. I will try to post better videos soon.

I wish I could visit Netherland in the future and see the "products" in person...I'll bring the wine :D

Best wishes,
M.

I agree this is a huge problem at this point.

I have measure the noise content of the AC supply and then have take many steps to reduce it. Everything from dedicate lines, technical local earth grounds, isolation transformers, shielded/filtering power cords, power regenerator, separate AC line filters for ouput stages and digital sections.... Even the routing of the AC cords needs be considered to optimize noise level.

Each layer of isolation, filtering and then regeneration and more filtering has reduced the noise on the AC supply many fold. Earth grounding is over looked by most, implemented correctly it is the noise sink or a source of noise if not implemented correctly.

The results had been large decreases in the noise floor and large improvements in sonics. I have not measure the affect on jitter, but the fundimental idea of clean power and earth ground is essential in both the digital and analog domains. You can save a lot of effort elsewhere by getting that cleaned up.

Jk

The mains voltage is highly polluted nowadays, this problem needs to be tackled too. One can use the transformer itself as low pass filter by connecting a 2u2 film cap on the secondary windings. The transformer type also matters a lot, each transformer type has different stray capacitance between primary and secondary windings. This stray capacitance should be kept as low as possible.

Follow all local electrical codes.... ( till you don't )

Gauge of wire to the service box from the the system and from the service box to earth ground should be over sized by many gauge sizes from standard. 12 foot copper clad grounding rod at minimum. I have 2 located near the service entrance. The second needs to be 12 feet away to be affective. Soil moisture and other soil conditions can affect your results. Use the best quality connectors. I used a cooper grease to improve and help seal the outdoor connections. But there is welding process that would be preferred, I used high quality clamps.

Then I have an isolation transformer near the gear and I have a third grounding electrode located near it as locally generated derived technical ground. All within my local codes.

As I did not have the gear to test jitter.... Find a place in the system that you can measure the baseline noise. Maybe as simple as the amp output with the preamp turned up...and no source playing. I also have two simple hand held AC noise meters. One for 120v and one for 240v. They were handy in verifying the filtering, but grounding improves AC supply filtering.

Then start your ground improvements.... You mileage may vary based on local conditions and noise in the Power Companies AC supply. But for the cost of 10 gauge wire & some 4 gauge, the ground electrodes and some of my own labor.... This vastly improved the baseline noise on the analog side and the sonics.

Even without a jitter tester, I think it's an easy stretch to imagine it improved the jitter as ECJohn notes, I simply did not have the test gear to base line that. By reducing noise on the ground and supplies. I also use AC filters and a power regenerator in addition to the isolation transformer. I isolate most of the different AC supplies going to each transformer with some level of line filtering. My amp runs on filtered 240v from the isolation transformer. Your choice on the other AC improvements , but the grounding was under 150$ US. The local technical ground can not be setup without an isolation transformer.

JohnK

Last edited: