• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building new GU-50 stereo amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes!

I mark Chinese sockets using a permanent marker.

chinese_sockets_marked.gif

Brian Beck said:
I like the key ignition. Is there a starter motor inside? :D

There will be couple of end switches also, under the top lid and bottom cover. :D

The ignition key is to lock it when kids are near the amp. I want also to cover front toobs by a transparent plastic.

In the next version I am going to put GU-50 beauty in front of the grill, but under a transparent plastic.

I'm sorry wavebourn, but as you happen to be King of GU50's here you are the one to answer all questions about GU50 - here's one more.

I had a discussion with a Mr Anatolij M Lichnitsky in SPb about his modification of the Priboi amp. He had made a trial using EL34 in triode mode for the amp and admitted that GU50 could also be used.
Do you have any information on the Priboi amp and if GU50 instead of the rather flimsy 6R3S-I would work and maybe even bring it to new heights?

Sorry Magnus;

I am not a King yet, I am a Prince only. :D

First my GU-50 amp I built for a guitar when I was a teenager (in 1974) before I fell in love with transistors; and I did not touch them until last year when I tried them once and got 120W from one pair. I am still working on the amp, and as soon as get good repeatable results I will report them.
Speaking of Priboj, I did not touch any. However, I will try GU-50 tubes later in many different variants of voltages and currents, but now I have no experimental data.

Hi Magnus,

Do you have any information on the Priboi amp and if GU50 instead of the rather flimsy 6R3S-I would work and maybe even bring it to new heights?

The LS50 datasheet gives some information on triode mode. LS50 is the Telefunken design from which the GU50 was copied. It recommends no more than 400V anode and no more than 80ma idle current. I dont know how much if any GU50 and LS50 differ.

Tweeker said:
Hi Magnus,

The LS50 datasheet gives some information on triode mode. LS50 is the Telefunken design from which the GU50 was copied. It recommends no more than 400V anode and no more than 80ma idle current. I dont know how much if any GU50 and LS50 differ.

It means 4K plate load for 400V/80mA

-58V bias.

So, it will be happy with 450V plate source and 750 Ohm/5W cathode resistor.

agent.5 said:
Wavebourn,

Are you using the GU50 as pentode or strapped triode?

Have you determined what is the maximum voltage for g2 if used as strapped triode?

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/018/g/GU50.pdf

I am reading that datasheet and it has a 250V max on g2.

Do you think g2 can take 400v to 600v as strapped triode?

I don't know, it is Telefunken data. I use them as pentodes with 300V regulatged on screens.

Sometimes manufacturers specify low max voltage on grids in order to achieve guarranteed linearity (an example is 6P15P for linear applications against 6P14P for audio).

I did not torture GU-50 yet so have no such experimental data; what I did, I increased VGs up to 300V and observed the grid. It was not red neither on iddle current, nor when the amp gave me about 120W of output power.

It is not enough for serious conclusions, but what is enough, I will certainly get 80W of very clean output power from pair of pentodes, as intended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.