• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building new GU-50 stereo amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatoly,
you do not use individual bias adjustment on the gu-50 output schematic that you posted earlier.

It is exactly what I use: individual biasing; and it is arranged such a way if the pot fails it is more negative.

Have any of you ever just had to build something even if it is way out of your league?

What do you mean?

When I design something I always build what I did not build before when the design did not exist yet. It is called breadboarding. The next phase is prototyping, when I build something that will look and work almost like it will look and work being manufactured. As I was taught to do in my University (Tomsk Institute of Automated Control Systems and Radio Electronics, TIASUR). However, it it hard to do today because prototypes cost a lot, so most of work is usually done using computer simulation and drawing programs. That's why we see mediocre hardware on the market that looked and worked well in computer simulation, but is not so good in our physical reality.

Triode instead pentode?

Hello Wavebourn

You are the guru with the GU50 tubes!:)
It is possible to run these in triode mode?
Please help.I do not need 50W and in triode it may sound better.
I'm about to give up my GM70 dream amp. It cost way to much, min 1 000 bucks with Hammond or Edcore transformers.:eek:
Try something cheaper??? Yes why not.

Thank you
Greetings gabor

Attachments

• sch2x50wGU50.gif
    sch2x50wGU50.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,296
Hello Wavebourn
Thank you!
I wrote that because if I google GU50 I see your post everywhere!
My question if I build these amplifier follow these schematic after can I switch to triode mode?
Also several info missing like the OPT primery , power supp transformer wattage etc.
Also these tubes usually req. high A for the heater, missing information on the schematic.
I didn't saw a schematic on your site but I will look again.
Greetings gabor

Hello

I have to explain why I change my mind from SE to PP.
Some tube in SE does not have that bass what I would like to get!
I'm not talking here about the GM70, that I have to gave up for a while because it cost a lot to get a good quality iron ,chokes etc.
I'm just not in the situation to spend now $1000-1500 or more for parts. Even the heater need a choke cost over $100 each channel.
I don't know the GU50, I didn't heard one yet! I also read these tube in a good circuit outperform the KT88.
Unfortunately I didn't found a good schematic in triode mode.
I hope now you understand why I came here to ask for help if you willing.

Greetings Gabor

Last edited:
I recently got 4 x GU50, going to use two of them in a guitar amp with 600V B+, regulated screens 270V, 5K OPT, and if I get 40W I will be happy. Won't be building it until November due to other projects. Very interested to hear how they sound. Not many people are using GU50, so its difficult to know what they will do. One way to find out is build something with them.

Hello ...

.... I have the main devices to build PP amplifier with GU50 , schematic from Grommes 260 A modified . Until now I have finished power supply board .....:)
Regards Alex .

Attachments

• PSU VALVE.pdf
    132 KB · Views: 367
  • PCB PSU VALVE B-W.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 311
  • trafouri.JPG
    trafouri.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_4351.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_4356.JPG
    IMG_4356.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_4362.JPG
    IMG_4362.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 244
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.