Building Elvee's Circlophone: Documentation, Parts, Accessories, & beginner friendly

A likely niche for the Circlophone is in driving speakers that aren't particularly good at dynamics; and, that's interesting because it is the majority of modern speaker products.

When the Circlophone is set to slightly higher gain than standard, its effect on dynamic swing goes up. I have not documented the proportions.

Meet both conditions, and you get the Circlophone that shoves stubborn speakers to replay music realistically, with lifelike dynamics.

P.S.
I did manage to overdo it, which was greatly entertaining and required simple accessories to confine excesses. Above a certain point (involving rather high gain), my example would try to launch the speaker to space. So, instead of far higher gain that I did, I'm suggesting slightly higher gain if you want a little more punch (and a source that strains less--could be useful to the more modern sources). Higher gain makes the s/n ratio of the amp get worse, which could be worthwhile if the quality of both the source and speaker get better--adjust as needed.

P.P.S.
It is also fun to have this available for comparison purposes.

Blown R9 and R10

Hello Folks ,

My 5 set of circlophone in biamped set up was doing its duty for last 10 days. Yesterday when I connected my CD player, all of a sudden there was a burnt smell and strange noise from mid range speakers:mad:. Later when inspected found that 2 resistors in one of the channel in mid range were burnt. R10(15ohms) was completely charred and visible damage on R9(56Ohms) .

My working set up
Bluetooth receiver > 3 way active crossover > Circophones
It was working like a charm in above set up.

Set up which caused problem
CD player > 3 way active crossover > Circlophones.

Output -2n3055 HV6 . Transformer 20-0-20 AC 200VA

There are no other visible damage on any other parts / any other channel.

I am yet to do the proper investigation into the matter( busy in day job)

It would be great if you can suggest right direction to look for the problem.

Thank you !

Hello Folks ,

My 5 set of circlophone in biamped set up was doing its duty for last 10 days. Yesterday when I connected my CD player, all of a sudden there was a burnt smell and strange noise from mid range speakers:mad:. Later when inspected found that 2 resistors in one of the channel in mid range were burnt. R10(15ohms) was completely charred and visible damage on R9(56Ohms) .
Extremely strange: these resistors are very unlikely to burn in this circuit, because the base-emitter diodes would "protect" them by melting.

The only plausible explanation is a violent load dumping event, taking the output much more positive than the V+ rail.
But something of that magnitude is unlikely to be caused by a "passive" load, like an inductive impedance, it has to be a parasitic voltage of some kind.
I suspect it has something to do with your grounding/earthing arrangements, or the way the outputs are (inter?)connected.

Anyway, check that Q9/Q8 are still in a good condition: if the voltage surge was high enough, it might have reverse-breakdowned the B-E junctions of the transistors.

You could add anti-parallel diodes between the collectors and emitters of Q8/Q10 (normally not required), it will protect the transistors against such an event, but it won't address the root cause of the problem, which must hide somewhere in your setup

Guy's, I have a problem sourcing the BAT86 signal diodes locally. Is there a substitute that can be used ?:)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/189599-little-cheap-circlophone-20.html#post3037274 Original Circlophone thread, post#961
Also mentioned post#1, this same thread.

D6 and D7 should add up to about 1 volt. If they were replaced by a series pair of 1A FR (or similar fast diode--mind the link mentioned above), the charts reveal that 0.55+0.55 at the current utilized (the small side of the chart), is 1.1v (for the series pair), which is imperfect but within tolerances.

55 watts @ 8 ohms build

Hi
As per chart the following are the things one needs to change to :

Power supply +-32vdv, R21 = 43k, D8:D9 = 15:16.

Output device I intend to use is MJL21194.

Is this all one has to do to a wakibaki or a terranigma board with the other components being as the recommended by designer ?

Thank you.

System live again

Thank you very much for the inputs Elvee.
Replaced outputs and drivers amp came back to life. Though yet to identify root cause, replaced all out put transistors with tip 35c. I had an impression that my heatsink was not big enough to handle 50 watts of power, and I had huge heatsink which can take to 247 lke transistor, made me go for tip35c.
Is there any specific advantage of bd249c over tip35c?
Both are very similar in specs as per data sheet.
Extremely strange: these resistors are very unlikely to burn in this circuit, because the base-emitter diodes would "protect" them by melting.

The only plausible explanation is a violent load dumping event, taking the output much more positive than the V+ rail.
But something of that magnitude is unlikely to be caused by a "passive" load, like an inductive impedance, it has to be a parasitic voltage of some kind.
I suspect it has something to do with your grounding/earthing arrangements, or the way the outputs are (inter?)connected.

Anyway, check that Q9/Q8 are still in a good condition: if the voltage surge was high enough, it might have reverse-breakdowned the B-E junctions of the transistors.

You could add anti-parallel diodes between the collectors and emitters of Q8/Q10 (normally not required), it will protect the transistors against such an event, but it won't address the root cause of the problem, which must hide somewhere in your setup

Hi Daniel, what happened with the links to the pc boards, in the first page?

Entropy, as in days, months, years, has been eroding the links. You know that car you bought years ago that you still think is pretty? Just like that, eventually. Although a good amp, the "new" has worn off.

Yes, it has come time for Circlophone2, the almost switching much more efficient version; but, it is too soon for that. I'm just *predicting* that is *possibly* coming and not a bit sooner than the evident need of it. But, that one will run cool. The parts count might go up by a third though.