Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

I bought a batch of 100 from spencer and they ranged from about 6.5 t0 11. 2.2 is definitely very suspect.

Andrew, when did you start using 1R0? Isn't that a tad low? I used a 0.1% 100 ohm resistor and that seems to work quite nicely. Perhaps 100 ohms doesn't give quite enough resolution though for really close matching, a 10 ohm resistor would allow me to use the 200mV range on the multimeter rather than the 2V range... I assume this is the reason for going with such a low resistor value? Or is it because you can just use the reading without needing to divide by the resistance?

Tony.

I agree.

You do need at least 10R0 to get full resolution on most meters.

My initial measurements were taken with only the shunt of the meter as a load.

Before I go tearing into my supplier.

I've just been looking at the datasheet for the 2SK170.

The parameters are quoted at Vds=10V Vgs=0V and Idss=3mA.

That's not too far from what I am seeing.

Attachments

• 2SK170.jpg
    2SK170.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 461
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Before I go tearing into my supplier.

I've just been looking at the datasheet for the 2SK170.

The parameters are quoted at Vds=10V Vgs=0V and Idss=3mA.

That's not too far from what I am seeing.

That is about minimum transconductance expected. 22 milliSiemens is the low side GR(een) grade's bottom Yfs. Anything marked BL(ue) shall vary between 6-12mA IDSS @ 10V VDS with a midway Yfs of 37mS. Else its a bad or fake sample.

Little Buggers are not easy to photograph.

I've tried my best - see what you think.

They definitely look "brushed" to me. That would be my first clue that they have been remarked.

Attachments

• DSIR9343.JPG
    DSIR9343.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 540
  • DSIR9346.JPG
    DSIR9346.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 522
  • DSIR9347.JPG
    DSIR9347.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
I'm having a bid of a headache with the delay section.

How much of a delay should this circuit provide ?

For some reason or other the base of my Relay Driver isn't reaching ON for about 10 minutes. If I omit the BC550 I get virtually no delay. I can work around the problem if I could figure out how long the relay should be de-energised for.

The junction of the timing R & C are rising to 12V as I would expect. The issue seems to be the use of the BC550C as a Zener to de-sensitise the relay driver.

I'm not using the BC517 I'm using 2 x BC550Cs connected as a darlington.

Last edited: