• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a Aikido preamplifier

I got the boxes yesterday. I figured the Janus Regulator board would be a tight fit but I did 't figure the walls would be so thick. I'll have to grind out the inside walls of the box so the board will fit.

Attachments

• 20200911_105414.jpg
    20200911_105414.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 337
Have a look at the "Clone Note" ldr volume control, from Uriah Daley - if transparency is your aim...

Or a TVC if you're after a slightly more "analogue sound" to emulate something like Ed Shilling's "Truth" or the Bent Audio with Dave Slagle's AVCs, etc

You can easily change from 9 pin (Noval) to 8 pin (Octal) with a convertor socket if you leave room for the extra height.

Hi James. After looking at those options for volume control, I'm going to go with 2 mobo apps pots because of cost.

However I am intrigued with the idea of switching between 9 pin and octal tubes. Is that something that can be done without changing anything in the circuit?

You need to be fairly specific about changing all the different tubes, not just between the 8 and 9 pin varieties - as you can see from the Aikido manual, there are different resistors required for different tube types - the sockets just allow you to use the wider range of tubes that are available. The change socket just plug into the existing sockets and then plug in the 'new' type tube to that.

I remember having to search all over the place for them on eBay but there's plenty of them available when you find them.

I see on your photo that you have both 9 pin and 8 pin board - I don't know this variety but pretty sure the designer will have kept the usual range of options.
One thing I'd suggest if the budget allows is to get a couple of the Obbligato caps for an optional output (add a simple heatshrink sleeve over their metal jacket for safety) - there's plenty options (and opinions) about the choice of capacitors - some cheaper nice Russian NOS too.

It looks like you've kept the power resistors well above the pcb surface - they 'char' the board after awhile if close to surface -

This, and the 'changer sockets' allow you optional tubes like 6SN7 input (8 pin) and say, 12BH7/ECC99 (9 pin) on a 9 pin Aikido board. That 'new' 6SN7 will require it's own specific resistors so keep this in mind (sometimes a higher resistance can just be reduced by adding parallel resistor - ie. solder on top).

I have a vague memory about using all the same heater supply voltage - there's a note about this in the manual.

Here you go.

Hi John, I bought a 1/3 completed kit from a guy who lost interest. I have 2 mono 9-pin PCBs Revision G and the Janus Shunt Regulator Rev. A The regulator is populated and the monos are not.

It came with 4 new ECC99 tubes and those don't show up in the manual (see picture) So Which one of the tube population sections should I use with these tubes.

Thanks much. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

I would use 470 to 820 cathode resistors on the input tube and 300-ohm to 470 ohm cathode resistors on the output tube. Use 100k for R9 and 82.5k for R10. Use a B+ voltage between 240Vdc to 280Vdc.

-- John Broskie