Build your own case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has been brought to my attention that some of you may think I am building the cases I post drawings of. This is not the case. They are drawings only. I have, in the past, done these things, but can not do any building now. I am sorry if I misled anyone. I was just trying to pass on the collective knowledge and experiences of those of us that have built projects.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is a great thread for someone who is about to embark on building their first chassis (that would be me :)). Thanks Steve!

Can you provide a link to an actual product for the chromatic dip solution? Right now John's "sand and lacquer" method seems to be the easiest.

This is a great thread for someone who is about to embark on building their first chassis (that would be me :)). Thanks Steve!

Can you provide a link to an actual product for the chromatic dip solution? Right now John's "sand and lacquer" method seems to be the easiest.

Peter gave a link in post 71. I don't remember what the brand name of the of the last product I used was, but I found it at Lowes in the paint department. Most large hardware stores should have it.

John's method is the simplest, and works well.

I mentioned that I would talk more about anodizing at some point. I was working on a process to do anodizing at home without electricity. It is a chemical process. I never got past the first try, but I would still like to find out if it works, and how well it works. If someone out there is comfortable working with the procedure I was trying, let me know.

Yeah, that would great Steve!

If onlinemetals or some other shop can provide anodized parts for a little more, that would super.

I don't know of any company that does that in very small quantities at an affordable price. Maybe someone else can offer suggestions.

There is plenty of information on the internet about setting up anodizing at home. I just wanted to try an approach that didn't involve sulfuric acid and electricity.

Hi all,
onlinemetals does not provide any services, outside of cutting. I live in Seattle, and go there, oh, maybe once a month. If you ever went there, you'd see what I mean....

If you want to get stuff annodized, you need to find someplace that does small quantities or learn how to do it yourself.

I've had pretty good luck finding annodizing shops, and talking them into letting me slip a piece or two into a larger batch. You might try to get hooked up with race-car folks - if they make some of their own parts, chances are they get stuff annodized.
Bill

I recently used a method were thin, brushed aluminum panel is covered with 1/8" thick frosted acrylic panel. The results are quite pleasing and it does not require anodizing. I do brushing now with orbital sander (180 grit followed by scotch brite smoothing)

Attachments

• Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Panel2.jpg
    Panel2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 396
ra7,
yup, just order online, and on the shipping page specify 'will call', it'll be there for you (usually that afternoon).
Richland is a bit far though. It might be easier to have it shipped UPS ground - it'll pretty much be there the next day.

Peter,
The other option I use is Krylon semi-gloss clear acrylic spray paint on brushed aluminum. If you sand with a jitter-bug sander (like the old Porter-Cable palm sander), clean with acetone, and spray immediately, it's really nice, and it won't chip easily. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.