Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• GTO1214T:S.jpg
    GTO1214T:S.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 600
Must resist building...

Must
not
order
drivers.

I feel your pain--I now have a JBL 1214 sitting on my "to do" bench. The Kraken 112 is #3 on the list--arrays first, paint/replace some flooring in the house with the 112 in late summer.

The delays keep coming, 10mH inductors are on backorder for the next 2 weeks :mad:

The size of the Kraken monkey coffins will closely match the array monkey coffins--if I don't get it right, then all of them would be recycled for MY coffin!

Now to figure out how to vent it out the front--not the side.

I figure it's the greatness of the design--not your weakness for creating issued for yourself. Embrace the weirdness...

The simulation in post251 ran into a problem.

Are the L12, L23, L34, L45 correct.
Surely, L12 cannot be 200cm.

What is the nominal impedance of the driver in that post251 simulation?
Re=3r76 is too high for a 4ohm speaker and too low for an 8ohm speaker.
Is it effectively a 5ohm or 6ohm speaker?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Kraken 112 or 212

Hi Guys, I'm considering building two of the smaller 112s. I would like two of 212's but they are so big for the room and then getting them up the stairs and then getting a trailer etc. Putting them under the couch could be good and be used as a riser and chair sub all in one box (like another guy in this thread did).

Petter pointed out on another thread that the problem with the 112 is you lose out on the double driver push pull configuration and therefore the distortion increases on the 112. I'm not sure how noticeable this would be?

Horn bass is the best. I used to own two of Bruce Edgar's seismic horn subwoofers quite a few years ago in a tiny 400 sqft apartment. The problem was when I used to blast organ through them the next door neighbour used to complain plus all the neighbours up to 5 apartments down would complain so I had to get rid of them. Luckily now I have a big house and good neighbours.

The other problem now is I have a 1 year old baby sleeping in the next room at night. So maybe I put earmuffs on her each night. :confused:

Cheers
DJ

Last edited:
It depends onthe enclosure used, but in general - it is named a 4 ohm driver.
What difference does it make if it would be called 4 or 5 ohm you think? It is
still the resulting box impedance that is of interest...
2.83Vac used in the simulation would be wrong. It would no longer be the equivalent to 1W.

2V83 applies to 8ohms drivers. 2V applies to 4ohms drivers. 2V45 would be applicable for 6ohms drivers and 2V24 for 5ohms drivers.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm considering building two of the smaller 112s. I would like two of 212's but they are so big for the room and then getting them up the stairs and then getting a trailer etc. Putting them under the couch could be good and be used as a riser and chair sub all in one box (like another guy in this thread did).

Petter pointed out on another thread that the problem with the 112 is you lose out on the double driver push pull configuration and therefore the distortion increases on the 112. I'm not sure how noticeable this would be?

Horn bass is the best. I used to own two of Bruce Edgar's seismic horn subwoofers quite a few years ago in a tiny 400 sqft apartment. The problem was when I used to blast organ through them the next door neighbour used to complain plus all the neighbours up to 5 apartments down would complain so I had to get rid of them. Luckily now I have a big house and good neighbours.

The other problem now is I have a 1 year old baby sleeping in the next room at night. So maybe I put earmuffs on her each night. :confused:

Cheers
DJ

I'm also thinking about two 112's. Has any one posted a horsresp for the 112 version?

Wondering how it might perform with this driver..

SW-12B

:D

All squabbling aside, I hadn't really looked at it that closely, but the simulations are with drivers in parallel giving a 2ohm load. Not that many amps are happy with 2ohms. Is it possible to run it with the drivers in series? I know you would be leaving some power on the table only running them 8ohms. Or if that's not possible, what amps are people using to drive 2ohm loads?

Also what would the 1w/1m efficiency be?

I do like the opposed drivers...

Joe

Any dB forecasts from the simulation will be wrong, if the wrong input voltage is fed into the data.

BTW,
personal attacks on Members are not within the rules.

Too bad Irony does not penetrate the written word. I have nothing against you
and did not mean harm, just that you should look things up first.

The dB forecast is no problem as long as you know the impedance.

1W, 1m giges an average of about 93 dB in 2 pi.

I'm also thinking about two 112's. Has any one posted a horsresp for the 112 version?

Wondering how it might perform with this driver

Well, try:eek:

112 distortion

Hi Petter, in real world terms how much more distortion will the 112 have compared to the 212?

At which part of the frequency range will it be noticeable? For example if I used it for movies would it be more noticeable?

If I critically listen to well recorded double bass will it be noticeable?

The problem is I've never heard a large horn sub with 2 drivers in push pull config compared to 2 smaller horn subs with a single drivers so I would be interested in your opinion on this.

Thanks in advance
DJ

Which Amp on the Kraken

Or if that's not possible, what amps are people using to drive 2ohm loads?

I do like the opposed drivers...

Joe

Hi, I used bridged Crown K1s and the bass is much tighter than any domestic amp I've tried including a 750 watt Krell! The K2 would be better. These crowns can take so much punishment. I have had many so called high powered domestic amps shut down on me but the Crown just keeps going. The other good things about the Crown K1 and K2 compared to other Crown and studio amps are there is no fan, they are small and quite light. So it's perfect for a house. The only problem with it there is an auto turnoff but can easily be fixed by changing a couple of jumpers inside. If you are using it over about 700 hertz it sounds like garbage but for bass it's amazing.

I will bridged these Crowns on the Krakens. Here are the specs:

Power output: 350 watts into 8 ohms, 550 watts into 4 ohms, 750 watts into 2 ohms (per channel, stereo mode);

1,100 watts into 8 ohms, 1,500 watts into 4 ohms (bridge-mono mode)

Cheers
DJ

Last edited:
Or if that's not possible, what amps are people using to drive 2ohm loads?

Just today actually my new Behringer EP2000 arrived. I've got it driving 4 subs right now, all of them strapped together are 2 ohms. Granted, the subs I have now won't take everything this amplifier has to offer, so I've got to be careful, but I wouldn't imagine it would have any problem driving the Kraken or any other sub right up to xmax.

They're also a steal on amazon right now at around $275 usd. So far, I love mine, except for the noisy fan, which really isn't much of an issue because my gear is in a different room from the speakers.

Amps for Krakens

They're also a steal on amazon right now at around $275 usd. So far, I love mine, except for the noisy fan, which really isn't much of an issue because my gear is in a different room from the speakers.

Hi Dr. I looked at those amps. Great performance for a great price. I need another three Crowns for my center channel woofer and the Krakens. I may try one of these out instead. How bad is the fan noise though?

Cheers
DJ

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.