Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1- Remove Legato. Connect direct to amp or preamp
2- Reinstall original firmware chip (this will give you full volume, but can reduce the volume in the computer if you are using USB output - or else use a preamp)

Thanks a lot glt

I reinstall the original firmware chip, by pass the FIFO, connect the WaveIO directly the BIII, luckily the BIII lock for a few seconds and have music output. Although only a few seconds, at least give me some light that the BIII and Legato are not dead. There is poor contact at the I2S path. I don't know whether it is due to the U.FL sockets or cables.

Will carefully identify what is the problem. Still afraid of killing another BIII.

Thanks a lot glt

I reinstall the original firmware chip, by pass the FIFO, connect the WaveIO directly the BIII, luckily the BIII lock for a few seconds and have music output. Although only a few seconds, at least give me some light that the BIII and Legato are not dead. There is poor contact at the I2S path. I don't know whether it is due to the U.FL sockets or cables.

Will carefully identify what is the problem. Still afraid of killing another BIII.

Nice to hear. Maybe you killed the Arduino? :)

You can also try using the BIII without the firmware chip. The DAC will start will default values in all the registers.

I have no problem on converting the bitmap to RAW and loaded it into the SD, compiled without error but can't display the bitmap. don't know whether there is problem on converting the file. Can I have your RAW file for testing?

Bigpandahk

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I will send a RAW file now.

Are your file names less than 8 characters?

Last edited:
Nice to hear. Maybe you killed the Arduino? :)

You can also try using the BIII without the firmware chip. The DAC will start will default values in all the registers.

Hi glt

I didn't kill the Arduino:)

Finally, I found all the problems and the BIII sings:D

I shouldn't make so many changes in one goal and was so unlucky that several faults occurred at the same time even some simple things. The final fault was related to Ian's BIII adaptor (not Ian's fault)

After I cleared the SSLV short circuit, BIII seemed function but have problem to communicate with Arduino and no sound. The I2C level converter to the Arduino may have been killed by the SSLV fault. I followed glt's suggestion and luckily had several seconds of music out from BIII. Then the I2S signal path was suspected.

I have ordered three sets of Ian's BIII adaptors and soldered them all. I replaced Ian's adaptors one by one, one had intermittent lock and no sound, the second one had lock but no sound, the third one had lock and occasionally serious distorted sound. I've checked the continuity for all U.fl sockets after soldering and how can such simple adaptor go wrong? :confused:

I measured the insulation between the signal pins and GND, they are between 6x ohm to several Megaohm. Passive components should not have such low insulation. I desoldered all the components and measured them - PCB, u.fl and 20 pins socket, all the insulation are perfect (infinity).

The only reason may be I put too much solder and caused the short circuit. I re-soldered the adaptor with much less solder and put it back to the BIII. The BIII sings:D

Hi glt

I didn't kill the Arduino:)

Finally, I found all the problems and the BIII sings:D

I shouldn't make so many changes in one goal and was so unlucky that several faults occurred at the same time even some simple things. The final fault was related to Ian's BIII adaptor (not Ian's fault)

After I cleared the SSLV short circuit, BIII seemed function but have problem to communicate with Arduino and no sound. The I2C level converter to the Arduino may have been killed by the SSLV fault. I followed glt's suggestion and luckily had several seconds of music out from BIII. Then the I2S signal path was suspected.

I have ordered three sets of Ian's BIII adaptors and soldered them all. I replaced Ian's adaptors one by one, one had intermittent lock and no sound, the second one had lock but no sound, the third one had lock and occasionally serious distorted sound. I've checked the continuity for all U.fl sockets after soldering and how can such simple adaptor go wrong? :confused:

I measured the insulation between the signal pins and GND, they are between 6x ohm to several Megaohm. Passive components should not have such low insulation. I desoldered all the components and measured them - PCB, u.fl and 20 pins socket, all the insulation are perfect (infinity).

The only reason may be I put too much solder and caused the short circuit. I re-soldered the adaptor with much less solder and put it back to the BIII. The BIII sings:D

Congratulations!

Ian

DQ828 : you instructions are very clear, I followed them step by step including FAT16 and put all files in the root directory.

I run the "CardInfo" in SD library and got "initialization failed". It just can't detect any SD card:confused:

I have a short term memory problem I forgot about my instructions :)

Where is this "CardInfo" in SD library and got "initialization failed" you speak of, in your computer? It's not a Apple is it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.