Build Thread for TPA BIII + Ian Async I2S FIFO + OPC NTD1 + Salas SSLV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mean for the transformer :) Secondaries

If we're talking overkill (or in qusp's words, modern ES9012 DAC) you will have independent power supplies for each of the following:

- ackodac supply inputs.
- usb (I think qusp has 2 supplies for his usb device, the rest of us are ok with just 1 ;) )
- FIFO
- FIFO oscillators after isolator
- 4 of secondaries just for NTD1 line stage, one secondary for each phase of the balanced signal
- some control circuits for arduino/lcd/whatever else

This gets somewhere in the order of 15 odd supplies. And remember he is building two of them and building two way speakers with crossover in the computer and multichannel usb device.

NB. By independent I mean: separate battery(s) or tx secondary, rect, pre-reg + low noise local reg to go with appropriate local decoupling and EMI filter

In my case I have ES9023 (AKD23) with only one power supply to the DAC chip and still 6 tx secondaries and I am considering adding another 3 or 4 in another transformer. I think for this transformer I might grab an EI core tx from Harbuch with one 8V and one 32V ct secondary to power jfet DAC output filter/buffer and use the 8V with an LM317 for my beaglebone (arm linux pc for control and music playing).

Last edited:
I know what you meant =) hochopeper covered my answer pretty well.

I didnt have a drawing anyway =) sorry its not deemed essential equipment yet, so I havent worried about it too far, plus its tiny and could go anywhere. thats not a comment on the quality, it'll find a place somewhere, but not in the main system as its only 2 channel. I bought it to experiment with DSD and in particular to experiment with direct analogue active filtering of DSD, with no DAC, or rather Amanero becomes the dac and a filter + buffer is added to listen directly

If we're talking overkill (or in qusp's words, modern ES9012 DAC) you will have independent power supplies for each of the following:

- ackodac supply inputs.
- usb (I think qusp has 2 supplies for his usb device, the rest of us are ok with just 1 ;) )
- FIFO
- FIFO oscillators after isolator
- 4 of secondaries just for NTD1 line stage, one secondary for each phase of the balanced signal
- some control circuits for arduino/lcd/whatever else

This gets somewhere in the order of 15 odd supplies. And remember he is building two of them and building two way speakers with crossover in the computer and multichannel usb device.

NB. By independent I mean: separate battery(s) or tx secondary, rect, pre-reg + low noise local reg to go with appropriate local decoupling and EMI filter

In my case I have ES9023 (AKD23) with only one power supply to the DAC chip and still 6 tx secondaries and I am considering adding another 3 or 4 in another transformer. I think for this transformer I might grab an EI core tx from Harbuch with one 8V and one 32V ct secondary to power jfet DAC output filter/buffer and use the 8V with an LM317 for my beaglebone (arm linux pc for control and music playing).

I can see qusp has a problem with power :D

Is there photos around of this beast.

ATM I have 2 x trans for the Buffalo & 1 x SMPS for everything else.

Last edited:
In addition to the power supply arrangement for so many devices, another headache is switching between inputs. I have the Amanero DSD convertor, WaveIO, Teleporter and Ian's SPDIF. The WaveIO will be connected to the backdoor of SPDIF and still have three different sources to be connected to BIII. Although I have the SideCar and OTTOII, I can't figure out how to switch between three I2S source with them.:confused:
There is no 3 ports 4:1 Mux product available. All I can find is the Potato PO3B341 that perfectly match my requirement but I don't have the knowledge to layout the PCB for it:mad:

why do you need waveIO and amanero? just stay with amanero, combined with fifo you will find it impossible to pick a difference, you only need to work out switching from amanero PCM and amanero DSD. you have a far too complicated signal path above, very unnecessary.

In addition to the power supply arrangement for so many devices, another headache is switching between inputs. I have the Amanero DSD convertor, WaveIO, Teleporter and Ian's SPDIF. The WaveIO will be connected to the backdoor of SPDIF and still have three different sources to be connected to BIII. Although I have the SideCar and OTTOII, I can't figure out how to switch between three I2S source with them.:confused:
There is no 3 ports 4:1 Mux product available. All I can find is the Potato PO3B341 that perfectly match my requirement but I don't have the knowledge to layout the PCB for it:mad:

Add a second OTTO. Feed the output of the first into one input of the second. We've talked about a 4x4:1 mux, but didn't think it would be too commonly needed.

why do you need waveIO and amanero? just stay with amanero, combined with fifo you will find it impossible to pick a difference, you only need to work out switching from amanero PCM and amanero DSD. you have a far too complicated signal path above, very unnecessary.

As Ian's FIFO doesn't accept DSD stream, it is not easy to switch between Amanero PCM and DSD. That's the reason to use both WaveIO (PCM) and Amanero (DSD) for USB source.

Last edited:
I know that....

its easy enough, easier than what you are trying to do, which would seem to require you to change to an entirely different interface to play DSD. you only need to use OE pin on amanero to switch left and right for DSD (if that is still an issue, not everyone has this problem) PCM and DSD share the same pins. use OE to trigger different DSD filter on ESS if need be as well.

I think its an easier way forward than having 2 interfaces.

I know that....

its easy enough, easier than what you are trying to do, which would seem to require you to change to an entirely different interface to play DSD. you only need to use OE pin on amanero to switch left and right for DSD (if that is still an issue, not everyone has this problem) PCM and DSD share the same pins. use OE to trigger different DSD filter on ESS if need be as well.

I think its an easier way forward than having 2 interfaces.

Using one USB input device is much better than two, at least no cable switch:D

I may use one OTTO to switch the output of Armanero to FIFO or direct to BIII another OTTO at the BIII input to select FIFO or Armanero (through OTTO 1).

DQ828, you were asking about pics, I dont have that many, but I posted some over at SNA in crazyfrog's 'my new DAC' thread

the isolator cuts the ground connection. pollution on ground has a noticeably negative effect on dac performance, with ESS particularly, using a USB->i2s convertor you create a direct link to your PC ground and thus link signal ground wit your PC ground, not good, it causes more than just jitter.

the isolator galvanically isolates the i2s output, cutting the ground connection. it adds some jitter in this process, but the best ones not so bad and its probably the lesser of 2 evils. when using the i2s fifo this has no effect since its before the reclocking stage, so only the DSD output of amanero will be affected in BPHK's DAC

Last edited:
DQ828, you were asking about pics, I dont have that many, but I posted some over at SNA in crazyfrog's 'my new DAC' thread

the isolator cuts the ground connection. pollution on ground has a noticeably negative effect on dac performance, with ESS particularly, using a USB->i2s convertor you create a direct link to your PC ground and thus link signal ground wit your PC ground, not good, it causes more than just jitter.

the isolator galvanically isolates the i2s output, cutting the ground connection. it adds some jitter in this process, but the best ones not so bad and its probably the lesser of 2 evils. when using the i2s fifo this has no effect since its before the reclocking stage, so only the DSD output of amanero will be affected in BPHK's DAC

Could you please post link for the pictures? I do not know what is SNA. :confused:

you will have seen them before AR2 probably, its just a few old pics because I was asked. its a smallish Australian forum StereoNET Australia. heres the thread

just various testing photos, nothing final, I dont have a case that fits it all and in those pics i'm still testing out various interfaces and IV stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.