• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brian/Russ: I managed to order the bIII + legato + toslink module from you guys, but missed out on the 4 channel spdif input because i didn't know that it was necessary for my consumer level spdif gear, so i'm going to order it now and was wondering if it's possible to ship everything together in one package (and hopefully not pay double shipping?) Thanks

Yes. Just order any additional items you need and I will combine the orders and refund any extra shipping charges.

I wonder how many BIIIs were for sale? I managed to snag one. :)

Could someone please clarify: If I'm feeding, say, an 8-channel signal via I2S, through the Sidecar, into the DAC, will this not be possible? I read that the Sidecar can only handle stereo and mono I2S signals...?

Correct. Since SPDIF only works stereo it only makes sense to use I2S stereo so that the DAC is configured the same for both.

I think I understand. How would I leave the option open for the DAC to receive 8-channel I2S via the computer, AND have the option of accepting a stereo S/PDIF signal from another external device?
(This is assuming I have 4 IVY IIIs at the other end to handle the 8 outputs.)

Do you not need a TTL level converter? I thought it wasn't specific whether the BIII accepts 5V or 3.3V signal from I2S.

Does anyone know about this? How would I leave the option open for the DAC to receive 8-channel I2S via the computer, AND have the option of accepting a stereo S/PDIF signal from another external device?

Do you not need a TTL level converter? I thought it wasn't specific whether the BIII accepts 5V or 3.3V signal from I2S.

Does anyone know about this? How would I leave the option open for the DAC to receive 8-channel I2S via the computer, AND have the option of accepting a stereo S/PDIF signal from another external device?

I2S is TTL, you do not need to convert it. S/PDIF is 0.5Vp-p, and needs to be converted to TTL.

You can connect spdif to spdif input 6, 7 or 8; you connect the 8 channel I2S to the respective pins and switch between I2S input and SPDIF 6, 7 or 8 input

I am planning to build a dual mono version of the Buffalo III. Am I correct in assuming that I will only want 1 * 4 input SPDIF and 1 * sidecar to feed both BIII's?
That is correct. You wire both BIII's in parallel to the Sidecar. The on-board controller will set the registers for left/right and dual mono (based on the switches). Russ stated running parallel should work for up to 4 boards for both the inputs (Sidecar) and the Volume pot (for the on-board Volumite).

I am assuming the Sidecar does not perform this function, and I would need to build my own switch?

(This is what I gather from reading the datasheet) In theory you do not need sidecar. The Sabre chip has 8 input lines. The last 3 are assigned (and multiplexed) to spdif. The first 5 lines can handle both spdif and PCM (I2S). If the firmware allows selecting between I2S and SPDIF (say spdif 8), then when selecting spdif, the I2S pins are ignored and when selecting I2S, the spdif pin is ignored.

The manual for BIII is not yet available, so I don't know what is the facility (dip switch combination) to do this kind of switching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.