• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ> Now you're confusing me? Let's see if I understand things here...
RAW is for multichannel spdif? (Surround sound for your movies and such, decoder needed)
PCM is the 2-channel audio spdif that we are used to? (No decoder needed)

If I have a digital x-over hi/lo outputting the common 2-channel audio spdif signal, that should work since it's PCM?

I'm thinking of using one BIII unit for my digital 2-/3-way filter.

Brian,

Is that 4-Input S/PDIF Module Kit listed on your website along with Buffalo 3 new one designed to work with new DAC? Thank you.

George

Four S/PDIF or AES/EBU inputs (isolated), quad-comparator level conversion, powered by B-III's Accessory Vreg (3.3v), mates directly to BIII, or via included ribbon cable/connectors.

Attachments

• spdif_4_thumb.png
    spdif_4_thumb.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 494
Russ> Now you're confusing me? Let's see if I understand things here...
RAW is for multichannel spdif? (Surround sound for your movies and such, decoder needed)
PCM is the 2-channel audio spdif that we are used to? (No decoder needed)

If I have a digital x-over hi/lo outputting the common 2-channel audio spdif signal, that should work since it's PCM?

I'm thinking of using one BIII unit for my digital 2-/3-way filter.

It is pretty simple really. The ES9018 SPDIF decoder only works with one SPDIF source at a time, which limits it to stereo or mono use. It can use up to 8 SPDIF inputs that will be MUXed, but it only uses one of them at a time. If you use DSD or PCM(like I2S) directly then you can do 1,2,4,6,8 channels as you like.

Hi Russ and Brian

I think- though these are fast changing times!- that a large number (the majority?) of 2 channel users will still want to feed consumer level S/PDIF to their new Buffalo III. But BIII needs TTL level input, and so they will need an additional comparator. But, at the moment, TP only offers the new 4-Input S/PDIF Module Kit to do this, making it an essential additonal purchase, together with its- for some users- unnecessary switching functions.

Is this correct? Some of your less technical customers might miss this, so I thought I'd raise it- at the risk of just proving me one of them, for completely missing the point!

Another thing. Could existing BII users make use of Sidecar- by removing the existing S/PDIF switch from the board, and wiring Sidecar in instead?

Thanks, and congratulations on what looks a great new product

Paul N

Is this correct? Some of your less technical customers might miss this, so I thought I'd raise it- at the risk of just proving me one of them, for completely missing the point!
One could of course simply add a comparator to a single of the inputs and be done with it. It's DIY afterall. Meanwhile, the new module is a LOT cheaper than the old MUX, even with a sidecar added, which offers additional functionality above that of the old Mux.
This all makes perfect sense to me, as many are waiting for the new USB module. It's good to see the preparations for it are being made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.