• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 12-06-10 TP Spdif Problem1_2.JPG
    12-06-10 TP Spdif Problem1_2.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
You have to make sure pin 6 and 8 are pulled up. (say with 10K) That is normally done by the controller. With a stock B3 this is done by the on-board controller. You your case you need to be sure *your* controller does the same thing, or do it externally.

Where exactly do I put the 10K resistor? Although with my relay switching implementation I assume I dont need it?

As for the TOSLINK module - you may need to check that you are getting a good signal out of it. If you have the voltage divider working correctly the output should be equivalent to the consumer level signals.

Also make sure that since you are using the voltage divider you terminate the SPDIF-4 input you are using for that signal at 75R just like the other consumer level inputs.

I'll check the signal, I am using a 75R.

Thanks for the help

Thanks. The spdif input for the sabre32 should be rock solid. One idea is to directly connect the toslink output to the input of the BIII and avoid all the "unnecessary" level conversion. One way to do this is to tap the ribbon cable. Another way is to solder to the pins at the bottom of the pin header

I would suggest using grid connectors to simply connect the pins the way you want them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but let me go & ponder, it is early & the brain is still hazy

The lock on the Spdif is rock solid

Last edited:
I am switching on my Linkwitz ASP crossovers, that I use for my own speakers, that was a learning experience:eek:

There is also a Tinkerkit relay module you cannot see.

I am also switching my 2 amps & the BIII, all sequenced to avoid those awful noises, although I'll have to say the ASP's & BIII dont make really bad noises when switched off before amps, the MiniDSP I was using for the crossover made TERRIBLE noises come through the speakers if you got out of sequence. I remember one day accidentally switching off the MiniDSP first, the noise scared me SO MUCH, while my finger was still on the switch I switched it twice more, needed a good lay down after that :)

I imagine I may need help with the volume display as I'm not sure howI am going to make it work without removing the firmware chip.

Thanks again.
Right, now I remember that you where switching amps, BIII and cross-over in a certain sequence.

Displaying the correct volume is not that difficult, but I suggest taking this topic back to the TPA support forum. ;)

Finally finished developing my 2-8 channel switcher for 8-channel output; I'm now ready to begin the wiring between boards!

Can anyone recommend a decent hookup wire to use in wiring my BIII between the different components?
I'm by no means convinced that fancy wire will improve the sound, I am just looking for something that is aesthetically-pleasing, to highlight the quality of the build. I was thinking something silver-plated. Any recommendations are appreciated, thank you!

Is there a way to install a headphone jack for active monitoring of the DAC without using an IVY board? I saw in a user's photos on another forum that they had a headphone jack in this configuration.

Currently I'm using 4x IVY boards for 8-channel output and a fifth IVY board for stereo output. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to add a 6th IVY board for this...?

Is there a way to install a headphone jack for active monitoring of the DAC without using an IVY board?

Can't you just tap the outputs of the IVY you use for stereo? You can go SE or (my preferred option) balanced.
You can even tap the Buffalo outputs directly, but it doesn't work as well (useful for testing though).

I'm sure all this is covered in the documentation.

Sharing the SE outputs between a headphones and a high-impedance load (amplifier) if the way to go.

Thank you!

I still consider myself a noob - but I've been using ApexJr. 22 gauge teflon milspec. stranded with silver plating. Seems to work well and is easy to work with.

Gonna go with this - seems like a good price! Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.