• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffallo Dual Mono 1 Legato

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Just to be clearer for everybody that can have a quick look, I enclose schematic of my idea.

Is it working without consequences?

Thanks in advance,
GM

I would absolutely not wire it like that It will probably work, but not well. The DC coupling prior to BAL/SE stage is fine if you AC couple after it or otherwise nullify the DC.

The very best approach with one Legato is to simply parallel the DAC outputs as I described earlier.

Dear Russ,
thank you.

Yes, following your prescription, I infact put a MKP capacitor after the Bal/Se stage as It can be seen from the schematic.

My question: Is It possible to parallel the two legatos without the using of C8-C5-C6-C7? (using only one power supply per board, of course)

One of the consequences I could see (for Rosendorfer) is that C4 and C1 - and C3 and C2 will result pratically paralleled... and therefore probably do I have to double their value to 30nF?

That is why I'was asking if everything will work well or not...

Thank you again!

GM

Last edited:
I'd like to get a little clarification on this thread for those of us who are not so knowledgeable regarding the best possible configuration of a Legato2 running Dual Mono Buff 2's.

I'm planning to use only the balanced output of the Legato2 into my PrePro which is an Integra DHC80.2. The XLR input on the Integra I don't believe is a fully balanced circuit from end to end so perhaps I'd be better off just using the SE/ballsie stage on the Legato2 but will take opinions on the matter.

Second I'm a little unclear as to when it is a good idea to install the buffers and when to leave them out of the Legato2.

Last I've installed R187 resistors for R1-4 ... I was trying to achieve 2V output however that was before I understood the implications of running a single Legato2 with Dual Mono Buff 2's ... so from this thread I understand that R1-4 should be 75R.

I'm an Electronics newbie ... good with a soldering Iron but haven't been able to put all the concepts together yet. If someone could guide me as to the right setup for this gear given I'll be feeding my Integra DHC80.2 prepro I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Theo

We used two BuffaloII + Legatoa3 as you have recommended.
It is fantastic !!!!! Especially the bass!!!
When I was a BuffaloII a Legato3 was not so.
What is the cause of so powerful and precise bass?
Because I now have 8 if the channel?
Or because of the increased current output?
Thanks for idea Rosendorfer!
Thanks Russ!
Thanks Brain!

Best regards,
Vitali

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Having read through this topic & studied Rosendorfer's very helpful posts I'm keen to try this.

I've been using a dual-mono Buffalo II the conventional way with two Legatos but this method appeals because I use a single-ended output & currently have to use, in addition to the two Ballsies built into both Legatos, two other Ballsie Lites to convert to SE output. Using the one Legato is much neater and I can use my two HD Bipolar Placids to power either side separately.

My only query is, other than wiring as per Rosendorfer's photos, is there anything else practical I need to do? It appears I don't need to change the input resistors, and if this is incorrect, where are they on the board please? Sorry for these basic questions, I'm not very confident with the DIY stuff yet.

Hi Russ

I'm thinking of trying out a dual mono implementation of Buffalo (II, with a single Legato I/V stage).

Am I right to think that a single VACC regulator per channel- one for each Buffalo board- would be preferable to the two per board used in the standard stereo implementation? I.e. a single reg for all eight now paralleled DACs? Otherwise, unless I've got this wrong, you end up with two paralleled regs feeding the DACs?

If a single reg is appropriate, how much current does it need to provide? should I connect it to just one est of pcb pads, or posiion it more centrally, and feed both sets of pads?

Thanks

Paul

2 Buffalos and 1 Legato

Having read through this topic & studied Rosendorfer's very helpful posts I'm keen to try this.

I've been using a dual-mono Buffalo II the conventional way with two Legatos but this method appeals because I use a single-ended output & currently have to use, in addition to the two Ballsies built into both Legatos, two other Ballsie Lites to convert to SE output. Using the one Legato is much neater and I can use my two HD Bipolar Placids to power either side separately.

My only query is, other than wiring as per Rosendorfer's photos, is there anything else practical I need to do? It appears I don't need to change the input resistors, and if this is incorrect, where are they on the board please? Sorry for these basic questions, I'm not very confident with the DIY stuff yet.
Hi Tony

Hi Tony ...
As per my experience, there is no need for changing resistors, everything works on stock values. But as important factor is that I'm using Volumite with my Buffalo's and that way I can take care about higher Output Voltage values it is 3dB higher, as Legato have to work with double of the input currents.
Well in theory of cause some tweaking with I/U Resistors values could improve things a bit, but having Volumite, You can easily try stock build.

And as small remark... "Preferred" for that configuration would be LEGATO 3.1 thanks to its lower input impedance, but any Legato sounds fantastic.
Anyway if I may say .... getting away with that quite few extra Opamps on Your signal path that are required in "standard" dual mono configuration, and keeping things simple "sounds pretty nice" :cool:.

There is I would call "small issue" with Diff 2 SE conversion /Ballisie/ build into Legato board. It is done with LM4562 /Double Opamps in single IC/ and unfortunately there is no easy(!) way to have "True Duall Mono" Separate Power Supplies for L and R channels in SE Out mode, but for start third Placid could be used....

Rosendorfer

Hi

As for higher output levels, if it is advantage or not, it is the question what is next after Your Legato and how You can use that "extra Volume".....

I would rather not recomend to run that config without Volumite ...but again I'm pretty sure that moust of Bufalo owners do have/use Volumite anyway.
Personaly I'm using Volumite and feeding signal directly from Legato to PowerAmp..... but then of cause You have to keep output voltage within resonable level.... ;).

all the best
Rosendorfer

Hi Tony
I think that Naim pre will manage the higher input voltage pretty well....
But I also think that it would be very interesting to use Volumite and do small test with feeding Your PowerAmp directly from Legato... Well kind of minimalistic approach 2xBuffalo+1Legato+PowerAmp....And see what configuration sounds best for You ...

Rosendorfer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.