Bryston VS Pass XA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A Zen V1 is good to go in a few minutes, i believe its the same for most of the Zen variations. You need an awfull lot of metal to need 3 days for the temperature to stabilize....if you ask me, its BS.

Simple math would tell you that its a matter of maximum an hour or so, and thats for a very heavy amp, like on the wrong side of 50 kilograms.

Magura:)

As for the three days for Brystons, use your ears..and try it.

It IS true.

It's been true for over 20 years.

If it is something that you end up hearing, then find the reasons.. if you are bothered by this... condition. I can see the answer well enough to leave it alone. You find your own path.

As an example, I don't doubt my senses, and what they tell me. I may doubt yours, and therein lies the nature of the problem. For you are doubting mine. :)

Once again, due to thermal/electrical/mechanical aspects... a CRT projector will follow exactly.. it's aligmentment proceedure and time frame that was taken in that initial set-up, every single time it is turned on.

Please put two and two toghether. ;)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
WOW! Both of those gases sound pretty dangerous to me. I was always impressed by the Dayton Wrights back when they were popular. It took some serious boatanchor amps to get em going at a decent level too. I don't remember what everyone was using back then on them...... That was sort of before Nelson was building stuff.

Funny you should mention. Joe had a big bottle of sulferhex,
and pretty much served as the West coast repair station.
Dan D'Agostino was the Dayton-Wright rep at the time.

I met Joe Sammut on a recommendation from Ess's Phil Coelho,
who thought I should try my 800A prototype on Joe's stacked
Dayton-Wrights, reputed to be the worst load in captivity (true).

We drove down to the Bay Area to see Joe, and he was using
Macintosh's at the time. He hooked up the amp and it proceeded
to shut down after the first few notes.

Hmmm, sez I, the protection circuits might need to be retracted
a bit. So we went back to Sacramento and did that, and soon
after we trundled the amp back down to the Bay.

And again.

Finally on the 3rd or 4th try, I took a pair of wire clippers to the
protection, and it worked great.

Joe said, "Say, you guys wouldn't be looking for some investment,
would you?", and even later on D'Agostino began carrying an
800A around with him when visiting Dayton-Wright dealers.

Dan used to demonstrate the character of Sulfer-Hex by inhaling
some and talking in a deep voice, the reverse of helium voice.
I am told that this was before the gas was classified as a
carcinogen.

Those were the good old days..... :cool:

Nelson,
Thats a hilarious story:D . Seems like anything with HEX in it is pretty dangerous. I love the good ole days. The Chicago dealer, Basil Gouletta at I-O Systems, sold quite a few stacked Dayton Wrights to folks in the high priced high rises. I used to go help him set those systems up but to this day I still can't remember what amps we were using...brain lock I guess. It definately was not McIntosh....those systems must have sounded horrible driven by Macs. This time period would have been just before you introduced the 800A. Wasn't your first Chicago area rep Brian Tucker of Pro Audio? The first 800A I encountered was when working at Kustom Acoustics and Ted Karson the owner wouldn't let go of it...so there it remained. I'm pretty sure it came via either Brian or Basil. That was quite the amp!!

Mark
Now in SLC

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Danger is my middle name.

"Those were the good old days..... "

Sort of like the unexpected effects of ozone from Ion Cloud speakers?

Good thing you guys switched to amplifier design...... and solid state
instead of tubes at that.;)

Not as bad as my old boss while at he was at TI. He came up with an
semiconductor diffusion process experiment that created hydrazine as a byproduct. The safety officer ran, not walked, to the lab to nip this in the bud,when he caught wind of this. I shudder to think how close the best (and meanest!) guy I ever worked for came to blowing himself to bits before I had the benefits and terror in working for him. :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.