Bryston VS Pass XA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: To PMA

Upupa Epops said:
Hopeless advice - guys on this thread like colorization, 'cos get true right musical enjoy :clown: and right colorization have only products of Mr. Pass :D . Noncolorization = boredom :dead: .

PMA said:
Some of them more, some of them less ;)

Colorization is a touchy subject. If your amp is a laboratory instrument, used to recreate an artificial recording, than we may talk about colorization. But if you use amps to recreate actual music events, it's hard to discuss colorization (you still don't know how much of it is already in a recording). I like to treat amps as musical instruments, and closer they get me to the original music event, the better they are. I don't give a crap about so called "colorization" ;)

No such thing as 'live' music anymore Upoopa

With PA systems in the way what is 'live' music anyway these days? There is not a PA system that can match the equipment of the average reader of this forum so what is live music but distortion byproducts laid over the natural harmonics of an acoustic instrument. And some bozo on the board probably has levels poorly mixed or is overdriving an amp. And for a lot of instruments what is the 'real' sound anyway? There is no such thing as 'natural' electric guitar is there? A Jazz performance is close to a 'live' performance but the bass player will have an electric bass more than likely these days. Classical? Maybe you will get a pure acoustic presentation, maybe not. So what theoretical world are you listening to 'live' music in Epoopa?

"I don't give a crap about so called "colorization" "

I tend to side with Peter on this one. Actually certain colors may be beneficial under certain circumstances and anyway how does one know how colored the actual recording you're listening to really is. But if it sounds good to you then that color is great.

Mark

i was at a wedding reception, with a string quartet playing in the
living room. My brother walks up to me and remarked that they
sounded a bit lean with veiled highs. My rebuke was that the
room had not been properly tuned for hi-fi listening. ;)

like the song says... "Everything counts in large amounts."

oh yeah... it is my understanding that Raka is not female...
although the avatar he uses is.

Several guys over on the car audio forum put pics of their girlfriend on their avatar. Aparently its pretty common. Maby its something like that. Btw, i know this bc i saw this "really hot girl" in the car audio forum and i figured.... man if i can find a "girl" like that whos into this sorta stuff (everything would have an infinite WAF) that would kick a&&. So i emailed "her" and got a strange response back...turns out it wasnt my dream girl after all..... "she" wasnt even a girl...

But if it sounds good to you then that color is great.

I couldn't agree with Mark more. While accurate reproduction is important, enjoyment is what its all about! Is it a really loss if your amps make the music MORE enjoyable?? (I'm not asking this jokingly, but would like serious input)

Amps that have been regarded as extremely accurate have not faired well against my recently completed Aleph 3 or several fine tube amps that I've heard.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
breguetphile said:
[I couldn't agree with Mark more. While accurate reproduction is important, enjoyment is what its all about! Is it a really loss if your amps make the music MORE enjoyable??

Too many people chase after the unattainable goal of the "accurate" system, waste a lot of money, and miss the point of the whole exercise -- to enjoy the music. It doesn't matter how modest your system or how grand, as long as you enjoy -- can escape into -- the music.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.