Bryston 3B SST, enyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see no reason why we couldn't have "wings" on the main board for extra close-up capacitance. These could be scored for removal if not required, and if we think about the design properly, might even be of use in building something else.

Well adding wings might just make this project fly:rolleyes: .... I just had to say that....

Things ill be getting back to normql qt work by the time this happens so I would be happy to coordinate the GB again on this. I would want someone else to construct the protos this time around. I still have both Aleph Mini and power supply protos and three KSA-50 protos... I am about protoed out!!

Mark

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:

If it's any consolation, I have 7 different KSAClone main boards, 4 different drivers, and 3 different outputs...

As for the Bryston Clone, with the way I progress, it will probably be early next year before we are even ready for a GB!

[kissass]Al, if anyone can make this happens its you.[/kissass]

Really though, the Bryston hold more interest for me than Krell Clones do. More power, better temps, less power consumption, highly regarded by studios.

I love the whole studio sound so brystons would be a big boon over Krell stuff.

Re: Bryston

MOER said:
The 4B sounds like Crown amplifiers, grainy, clinical and edgy.......... why you may ask? Well high open loop gain massive global feedback low low THD designs tend to sound this way.

The GAS is the opposite in design. Low global feedback, lots of local feedback loops, short signal path.

I am not sure i agree...Bryston's amps typically use a three-level local-feedback compound output stage of dubious stability: which probably explains this 'grainy sound'

Nothing, per se, to do with the quantity of major loop feedback used...

ShinOBIWAN said:
Really though, the Bryston hold more interest for me than Krell Clones do. More power, better temps, less power consumption, highly regarded by studios.

I love the whole studio sound so brystons would be a big boon over Krell stuff.

Try driving a Bryston amp. with a 10Khz test signal into 2 ohms for five minutes...

Not good...not good at all... :smash:

Re: Double blind test

MOER said:
The Krell KSA series has similar problems to the Brystons, high open loop gain , massive amounts of global feedback, no degeneration in the dual differentials and early versions had their diff pairs driven by simple resistors from the opposite rails.

Regards

Steve

I find Krell's Electronic engineering rather amateurish i am afraid... :smash:

pinkmouse said:
Mike, why did you resurrect this thread just to slag off the amp involved? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Hi pinkmouse,

Actually, Brystons are prone to cross-conduction at HF...something folks need to know, methinks, before they get stuck into building a clone meold mate...

Beside, some folk were giving Moer a hard time over his taking exception to said designs; i figured joining him in the nay lobby might even things out somewhat...:)

I've owned several Bystons, Jeff Rowlands, Mark Levinsons and the newish Hypex..

I loved the sound of my Brystons. The looks left a lot to be desired, but the sound was impecable on my B&W's.

A match that put MANY a quadruple costing system to shame.

If you don't like, don't build.

I'm in if anyone does a clone.

Price / performance they are VERY hard to beat.

That's all I have to say about that. (Forest Gump)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Al,
Just thinking they should do the general DIY improvement thing. Eliminate all ceramic and jam as much foil as possible in there.

Power level is open to debate. The output device package can then be plastic or metal.

Most of the negative comments on these are leveled at the earlier versions, so why go there? :angel:

-Chris

So has there ever been an agreement on a model to clone?

I'd be intrested in the 2, 3 and 4 B SST but I can not create the schematics at this time.

In a few months I shoud be able to assist with a PCB GB if we can ever get a schematic toghter.

I will NOT be doing a parts GB as I am not in a position to seperate / pack all the parts but PCB's are easy.

It's almost winter and it will soon be too cold to play outside.... Time to start looking at an inexpensive version of indoor entertainment (women cost WAY too much). :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.