Bruce + subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Edge diffraction from a wave traveling along the surface of a front baffle is pretty well supported.

My point exactly. There is a great difference between a wave travelling thru a material and a wave travelling over a surface. In physics a paper material cannot support a transverse wave nor can wood or the like. I tried to introduce a shear wave into lead once and despite frequency or incident angle i could not. Its all dependant on density and elasticity.

ron

Now this is just a logic question.

1: How can any material have an effect with an effective height of 2-10 mm on a wavelength of > 1 meter?
2: If its truly a transverse wave in the material ( i cant see how) then the dia of the emitting surface is the limitation in wave effectiveness.
3: once the wavelength is > the effective dia of the transducer, how can any reflectors/absorbers be effective.

I truly havent studied the assumpution, this is just purly first thoughts.

ron

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ronc said:

There is a great difference between a wave travelling thru a material and a wave travelling over a surface. In physics a paper material cannot support a transverse wave nor can wood or the like. I tried to introduce a shear wave into lead once and despite frequency or incident angle i could not. Its all dependant on density and elasticity.

ronc said:
Now this is just a logic question.

1: How can any material have an effect with an effective height of 2-10 mm on a wavelength of > 1 meter?
2: If its truly a transverse wave in the material ( i cant see how) then the dia of the emitting surface is the limitation in wave effectiveness.
3: once the wavelength is > the effective dia of the transducer, how can any reflectors/absorbers be effective.

My spider sense is tingling...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.