Bronze heatsinks, split from advanced GainClone thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jneutron said:
But during that waiting period, perhaps it is best not ridiculing others. His observations may be suspect, brought on by wishful thinking, or they may indeed be valid.

Obviously, some topics will never resolve, so does that require hostility?

Cheers, John

Hostility, no, but I so think a good ribbing is in order.

Also, if I stopped to test every single thing I hear on this board for verification, I'd have no time left over to actually sit and enjoy what I'm working for. Some you just have to read and say, "I can't believe he's serious, but good luck to him..."

So, yes, until something more materializes that what I've seen, I'll continue to think it's a humorous proposition. You have to understand that my first post in this thread was totally honest. I thought this was some sort of April Fool's day gag.

Now that I see that people are actually serious about this, I'll definately stop heckeling them, but I won't stop thinking it funny.

P.

is this really a debate or are you all rubbig the asthetics, Point of prospective - taste is a matter of non perpetuism and so stability or perfect balance denotes clinical air, perhaps you may be able to obtain the perfect balance of atoms and particles using nothing more tha a mere click of the fingers as determied by the butterfly effect but why avoid the issue that you will never be happy with any less than gods cd collection, the amp sounds grrrreat at most levels, a nip or a tuck here and there will always taste like fresh lettuce but the design remains constant as does the mass of our universe to whomever stepped on the waste of materials, Any ways the ab amp does not require massive thermal precaution and hence does not react significantly to change, I do beleive technics built a so called class aa with fans to keep things cool and constant at different levels and such like is necessary as not in the gc case, Diy I think is a great way of reaching out and becoming one with the world that I and yourselves are all part of by some form of degree and that is what makes this all so apealing, that and self ritcheousness of senchient being, give me a recipee and I will bake a cake

EDIT: Ok, very old post..

also the form of the heatsinks may influence the sound. my PC, just for audio-playback, had a standard Intel-heatsink at the CPU (linke this: http://tinyurl.com/kml3q5). when i scratched over it, it gave a hair-raising sound. so i found this kind noise in the analog-ouputs too. i chanced to a solid heatsink. - and the sound through analog-outs was FAR better, this noise was gone. -so, the material of course too..

i don´t think it had an influence at the digital procedures in the CPU, but the vibrations may have influenced caps or other not that solid stuff..

br
Daniel

Okay,
I have read through this link fast and not seen all the details but the reason I want to build one of Daniels amps is because I found out that my dfa888 amp sounds really bad when getting warm.
I was actually surprised that the sound quality would change that much warm or cold.
In the beginning I thought it had to do more with my mood it sounded that different but over time I found out the reason was because of the time the amp was on.
One phrase of Daniel made me make my choice about the heat-sink.:
"it seems that the colder the chip it sounds the best."
Besides diamant, silver etc.,copper has the best thermal dissipation and simply will keep the temperature the lowest at the chip.

After I will get my kit from Daniel and know what size the heat-sink must be to fit the casing I will visit the local lumbyard to get me the perfect heat-sink from copper

Greetz,

Joery

One phrase of Daniel made me make my choice about the heat-sink.:
"it seems that the colder the chip it sounds the best."
Besides diamant, silver etc.,copper has the best thermal dissipation and simply will keep the temperature the lowest at the chip.
If you want to take anything Daniel says seriously, you might like to remember that he preferred bronze to copper. He was NOT happy with the sound using copper heatsinks.

Actually, it seems to me that the chip sounds better with lower temperatures.

This for me sounds very logical, the heat being dissipated is determent by the current and this will vary a lots in music amplification.

Over thinking my first comment I better use a copper bar as heat accumulator that will draw as fast as possible the produced heat from the chip. This bar directly connected to an aluminum heat sink with big surface to air area to transfer the produced heat to the air.

It is all for me also an experiment so we will see.

@ Jacco,
Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Greetz,

Joery

Well, I actually don't like to impose my own ideas about something without hearing someone's explanation but it seems that is implied that an older amp simply can not perform good.

My father has an amp of 45 years old that still goes for Euro 4000 and performs very well.
I know that my amp is not new and is not in the league of my fathers amp but still people offer over Euro 300 for it so it maybe old but I still do not understand the comment "its 25 years old" implying that its a stupid remark for me to put here.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its not a thread I've followed at all tbh but I would say that many old amps can perform well. We all know electroylitics can dry out and fail with age but I don't personally believe its as big or widespread a problem as some claim. I have a 35 yr old Sony tuner and cassette deck and they are original electrically.

If your amp really does change in its sound quality (a real and not imagined change) then there is a problem with it, perhaps the bias is unstable with temperature. DFA888 (Philips ??) Philips loved to use darlington output devices... so maybe an issue with the bias.

A chip amp should sound identical from cold through to the limits of what is permissible temperature wise. If it genuinely changes sound quality with temperature (which I doubt) then its a very poor design of circuit.

Dear Mooly,

As I stated before, that is the reason why I ordered the LM4780 kit from Peter.
I just did not like the reaction from Jacco with no explanation why because it really does not tells anything.

I only want to consider the best possible situation of the amp I'm going to build.

It meant that with a 25 year old amplifier, one would have to get it in top shape before assuming anything.
The dfa888 has tone controls, lots of electrolytics, pots, many switches and contacts.

And a very happy new year to you, Mr Mooly, sir.

I'm sorry to say but the good thing of this amp is that it has a "direct source" function, that is why I like it so much.

So maybe you look first before you judge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.