Brisbane meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
obiwan said:

Sshhhh, who told you?

Ok, well the cat's out of the bag now. Yes I am, but they will be the yet to be released, still undergoing rigorous testing (cue trumpet fanfare) Mark 3 versions, with a slight twist on the aesthetic side of things, Rob-style (no more shaped solid hardwood though, learnt my lesson with that one).

On that note, I would like to publicly thank Joe for putting up with my barrage of stupid questions (don't worry Joe, I only have a few more left :D )

At least with the external crossover box, it will be easy to deqx them at a later stage if my first born ever sells for a decent price on ebay and I don't have to keep pulling the auction cause my wife keeps finding out.

sfreak said:

Depends by what you mean box.

Wouldn't have a clue, I just walked in to the lumbar yard, asked for a slab of hardwood about this by that, they said will this Tasmanian box do? I said yep, paid for it and walked out.

It certainly is a nice timber, but takes forever when you try and sand it into some stupid curvy shape :rolleyes:

Can't you overlap frequency ranges with the deqx?
If so, just think of it as a 3 way.
Lower 2 drivers - from 30hz to 400hz (or where ever they are rolled off)
upper two drivers - bass and mid - 30hz to 2000hz
tweeter - 2kz and beyond.

Can the deqx do this, or does it have problems when trying to measure the mid range drivers as the bass drivers aren't contributing?

obiwan said:
No DEQX can't do that Rob.

Oh well, they will stay passive for a while then (not that I will have the funds available for doing that sort of thing for quite a while anyway, got to refurb the room first, get a better amp, get a better preamp, get a better cd player etc etc etc, and only then I might look at playing around with the speaker side of things).

Moondog55 said:
but a little voice inside my head wants to put a tophat on those tiny men

You hear them too, I thought it was just me, thank god I'm not alone. The medication that those lovely men in white coats gave me does help somewhat though :)

Oh, and Joe has now updated his site to show the Mark 3 changes.

rob323 said:
Can't you overlap frequency ranges with the deqx?
If so, just think of it as a 3 way.
Lower 2 drivers - from 30hz to 400hz (or where ever they are rolled off)
upper two drivers - bass and mid - 30hz to 2000hz
tweeter - 2kz and beyond.

Can the deqx do this, or does it have problems when trying to measure the mid range drivers as the bass drivers aren't contributing?

obiwan said:
No DEQX can't do that Rob. You'd have to treat 2 of the drivers as bass drivers and 2 of them as midrange. Maybe the bass ones going to say 300Hz and the mids from 300 to wherever you want it crossed with the tweeter.

Dunno Obiwan, been wondering about it. It is certainly no problem to put the different pairs of drivers on different outputs....of course you would end up with a boost at the common frequencies, but it is then a trivial matter to eq it back flat when you do the room correction (you would do that manually, as I'll show you when you get here), and probably you wouldn't use too many eq points up as the overlap region mostly covers the room correction region.

Would be an interesting design problem to tackle and see what the results were. Got the feeling i'd give it a good shake.

rob323 said:

Oh well, they will stay passive for a while then (not that I will have the funds available for doing that sort of thing for quite a while anyway, got to refurb the room first, get a better amp, get a better preamp, get a better cd player etc etc etc, and only then I might look at playing around with the speaker side of things).

(Obiwan will get the inherent humor of the following remark) Don't forget if you are considering upgrades of the electronics that the deqx is also a pre-amp.

So have you built them yet Rob? I'm ready for a listen. I keep going around in circles trying to decide what 3 way to build. But I did stumble on your Elsinore project a few weeks ago. Now I've been looking the wilmslow audio site and wondering about either their Prestige, Centurian or Excellence.

The Prestige has the ATC midrange, difficult cabinet though to build by the looks.
https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...id/28?osCsid=212fddd1c994de01ce19c66df10883aa

The Centurian is all Scan Speak Revelator.

The Excellence is Seas Excel drivers.

But I'd use my DEQX instead of their passive crossover.

I just figure that at least by buying their kit, or at least their cabinet plans, then I don't have to worry about working out ideal cabinet volumes, port diameters etc.

obiwan said:
So have you built them yet Rob? I'm ready for a listen.

Not much to listen to just yet. The panels of mdf are cut and that's about it so far.

obiwan said:
I keep going around in circles trying to decide what 3 way to build. But I did stumble on your Elsinore project a few weeks ago. Now I've been looking the wilmslow audio site and wondering about either their Prestige, Centurian or Excellence.

The Prestige has the ATC midrange, difficult cabinet though to build by the looks.
https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...id/28?osCsid=212fddd1c994de01ce19c66df10883aa

I like the look of the Prestige. Hard to tell just how complicated the cabinets are though until you see the plans.

That's one thing I like about the Elsinore's, the crossovers are housed in an external box, so you don't need to get inside the speaker cabs to have a play. You would have to bring around some additional amplification though.
My avr would do 5 channels, but I don't think it will do 6.

Seeing as I have already polluted this thread with my delusions of audio excellence, here is some more :D

I have so far covered my workspace with a good thick layer of mdf dust (along with anything else within a 10 metre radius, including the neighbour's washing :ashamed: ) and so far, this is all I have to show for it (warning, grainy, poor quality camera phone pic coming up).

Image004.jpg

Nothing is permanent yet, its just slapped together with enough screws to stop it falling apart. The front baffle is not on there yet (still yet to be routed). Some panels have to be trimmed a little yet before it all gets glued up (and my stuff ups are hidden forever :) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.