Brisbane meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MadMutt said:
Soldering iron cooled down many years ago.

Had my soldering iron fired up last night, trying to finish of my computer speakers. I will try and complete them tonight and put some pics up tomorrow. Sunday's meet was good incentive to get of my butt.

I will definitely be up for more gtg's. I know of a couple of nice projects that will hopefully be completed in the next 3 or so months.

Hi Guys
I would like to thank Phil for his hospitality on Sunday and the opportunity to hear some facinating variations in speaker design. I was taken aback by Phil's superb craftsmanship and attention to detail in his projects. Makes my attempts at diy look very hamfisted in comparison.

It was great to hear some different sounds, equipment etc and I was hard pressed to pick out a favourite - perhaps the 4's?. I was tempted to remove several items but I think Phil would have missed them!! Lol

Doug's open baffle speakers with those ancient drive units were producing some very sweet sounds indeed. The plans he passed around for his new version look very interesting and I am quivering with anticipation at hearing them!!

Also many thanks should be given to John from COEM for the loan of the Mingda Valve amp and those little, well, extremely tiny, full range speakers (name?) in a delectable piano black finish.

A splendid time was had by all.

Mike

PS The missus was not too impressed by the line array's Phil so I will cross them off the list!!

Moondog55 said:
Looks like a great sounding week-end, to mix metafores, I am trying real hard to get to Bathurst for the gather there, I am impressed, and almost scared to show my weak woodworking skills.
Ted

How's it looking realistically Ted? Brett (from DIY) and a mate of his will be riding out for a day too, it would be good if one or two other gtg's happen in aus.

PS (big letters note) if you're worried about woodworking skills the we are in the same boat :) , the goodies on offer in the pics in this thread leave my rough sawn raw MDF monsters for dead.

Brisso57 said:

They're only about 40! (Peak 8CX50's)
... but it just goes to show that quality lasts.

Doug

I must admit that they surprised me too.
Have you tried them sitting on something to raise the sound stage up higher Doug or do they lose some of their presence? It was weird listening to a 1 foot high midget singing and playing guitar :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Bathurst race week-end

we are both putting in an application for leave, if it s approved we will come.
i may not be able to bring the party set-up, but perhaps one ot two projects may be finished by then, I will bring a knife or two and a couple of big pots, spaghetti for 40?? happy to help with the catering side of things if it gets big.
If any-one from Melbourne is going perhaps you could Email me ( contact details in my profile) and maybe a trailer could be organised, we have no tow bar on the Renault.
Terryj, do you have a big BBQ?? and lots of paper plates organised??
I would love to bring the quad box and the Tandy towers and blow you all to the back of the block
Ted

finally got off my butt.

Thanks to the inspration gained from Sunday's gtg, I now get to listen to these when at the computer.
IMG_2203a.jpg

Still just dodgey'd up and as you can expect, nothing below about 80 hz due to the open back (omg, I'm listening to an OB :bigeyes: )

IMG_2202a.jpg

The cross over allows for plenty of adjustment for tweeter levels and still got a bit of fine tuning to do.

No, only about 10 years old. So does that make them "classic" rather than "vintage"?

They are actually my old car speakers (from my younger doof doof days), hence the adjustable and encased crossovers.

I do have some 8" diameter plastic sewer pipe to go on the back of the mids to create an enclosure, just haven't fitted it yet as I have to move the speakers out from the wall a bit more to fit them on the back. I should hurry and get these finished (only started them last Christmas :rolleyes: ) so I can get started on my next speaker project which will be a little bigger than these.

I guess I can bring them to the next meet, they should "just" fit in the back of the truck.

I must admit, I haven't heard many computer speakers that can image like these can :)

Christmas came early

Well good one guys, I hope you are all happy now. I have relapsed again after being clean for a whole 18 months.

Anyway, hopefully for the next GTG, these might sound a bit better than they do just sitting on a table.

A mono monster Peerless line array:D
IMG_368708.jpg

And when arranged so as not to fall off the table, with some other bits.
IMG_368001.jpg

The HDS tweeter looks nice, and heavy too!
IMG_368405.jpg

IMG_368506.jpg

Pick up the mdf tomorrow, will hopefully be making some saw dust over the next few weeks.

Crossovers and some other bits still yet to arrive.

So what's everyone else cooking up for the next gtg?

Re: Christmas came early

rob323 said:
Well good one guys, I hope you are all happy now. I have relapsed again after being clean for a whole 18 months.

Anyway, hopefully for the next GTG, these might sound a bit better than they do just sitting on a table.

So what's everyone else cooking up for the next gtg?

Well, the Peak's are migrating to some taller OB's. Actually a clone of the Visaton NOBOX idea.
I have a pair of vintage (unsure of their age) 12" woofers to help out the bass. To be bi-amped, eventually.

I have two m/ply baffles cut and one is routed, ready for the driver fitting this weekend.

I'll post a progress photo soon.

Doug

Probably not :) but they will "eventually" get crossed over to a small sub or 2 to fill in the bottom end anyway.

They definitely go lower than the cheap typical usb powered computer speakers that they replaced though, and alot more pleasant to listen to all round.

sfreak, thanks for the kind remarks, but you may not be too happy to hear that they were carved out of a slab of Tasmanian Box. I don't know if that's a renewable resource, but being hardwood, I don't think so.

rob323 said:
sfreak, thanks for the kind remarks, but you may not be too happy to hear that they were carved out of a slab of Tasmanian Box. I don't know if that's a renewable resource, but being hardwood, I don't think so.

Depends by what you mean box. I think your talking about Myrtle yeah? And as for hardwood, it is renewable as far as I know, just takes quite a few years to grow. Tas Oak is great stuff to build with. Easy, and doesn't kill you like MDF. Currently making a new computer case out of quite a bit, and always like a nice speaker with MDF box and solid timber front baffle. Always admired Rabbitz boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.