Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

I knew England would show up for the game. I salute them. Thats what makes rugby a great game imo. If you show some grit you can come a long way. Bokke were rattled. Just as England was 4 years ago in the final The All Blacks are the team to beat. They have found a new formula. Their maul is the best in the game. So if they get a lineout near the tryline. Try time. As as Springbok supporter I don't think we can beat them this time around. But I thought the same against France and yet here we are. So here I am hoping to be proven wrong again!🤞

Reactions: 1 users
Whatever happens, it's going to be the first team with 4 RWC titles.

sa-vs-all-blacks.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Bas, agree but the score would have been the same since that England try never should have been. With so many games in this WC where were the coaches to insist on changing tactics at critical times. Why is it that teams only have one player that can actually kick a ball accurately most of the time. Any team should have at least 3 kickers and the drop goal should figure much more prominently. The equivalent of diving in football is the shenanigans taking place in the scrum, SA are very good at this. I cannot see that the Kiwi captain should have got a red card, yellow yes.

Stop the bulking up (steroids) and see how much better rugby would be. Instead of crashing into opponents passing the ball is the way that rugby should go not to mention far less injuries and in later life crippling injuries. Sadly rugby is in crisis financially, sport in general has become monetised like everything else.

Bas, that Argentinian was really stupid, he should have seen that an English player was really close. He could easily have passed the ball to unmarked player. He didn't, he chose to kick a low ball forward, all well and good if there was no threat of interception or he had kicked the ball much higher so that it couldn't be intercepted - he cost Argentina third place.

The late Peter Brock was arguably Australia's greatest 'touring car' driver. He won several 1,000km races at the fearsome Bathurst Mount Panorama track, including this one (1979) , where he set fastest time on the last lap. His race number was "05" which refers to the legal blood alcohol limit.

Footage quality is poor but you get a sense of how scary this track is:

Geoff

His car seemed to be on steroids compared to the others! In boxing you'd call it a mismatch....

Glenn Maxwell of Aussie has been lauded for GOAT innings status in the World Cup cricket:

Glenn Maxwell Australia Cricket.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67350945

I wouldn't go that far, he was dropped twice, but certainly a great knock and a gutsy one too. Enjoying the cricket on the radio every morning.

Glenn's got some pretty stiff competition, including Sir Viv Richards, Kapil Dev and Adam Gilchrist to name a few.

It was a remarkable knock, but each great innings is different: context, quality opposition bowling and fielding, players' mood etc. One of the best I've ever seen was by Sir Garfield Sobers , 254 against Australia at the MCG, when he was reportedly dealing with some serious personal issues.

Geoff

I watched Gary play a few times, and on TV of course. Could bowl off breaks, leg breaks aka a Chinaman, medium and medium fast.

Once hit 6 sixes in an over! What couldn't he do? :cool:

His ROW side versus a fine Australian side in 1971-72 wasn't too shabby:

Rest of the World Cricket Team 1971-72.jpg

I always liked watching Clive Lloyd too. He seemed to have so much time against the quicks and he moved like a gazelle in the field.

Plus, and it's incredible when you think about it, they didn't wear helmets in those days!

ROW 71-72.png

My Somerset team beat those Australians at Bath in a big surprise. A golden age. Mainly because I was young I suppose. :D

As a teenager I 'worked' (unpaid) at the WACA ground here in Perth for a test Eng v Aus. My job was assisting with the covers and keeping little kids away from them at the end of play. Anyway, this was in the era of Lillee, Marsh and Botham; but the thrill as a kid was being allowed to throw the ball for Botham and the others to warm up hitting it back and being allowed to mingle with the heroes such as Lillee. I can't imagine being allowed near the players nowadays.

Shall I rename this "The Cricket Thread"?

Actually I can't figure out how to change the name... :(

Anywhoo, I looked up Somerset's famous victory over the tourists in 1977. IIRC, Australia had lost a few good players to the Kerry Packer rebels.

I was meant to be studying for my Physics finals in June, but felt that watching this game was far more important:

Somerset's Finest Moment.jpg

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/20148491.somersets-ever-win-australian-cricket-team/

Joel Garner (Big Bird) had a fine debut. Budgie Burgess had great success with his accurate medium pacers.

Greg Chappell was actually a Somerset player usually. It was a fine side.

Somerset Captain Brian Close clearly was not interested in doing much, we thought he had left a cigarette burning in the pavilion when batting, but celebrated greatly afterwards.

Back to the present day:

World Cup Table 9 Nov 2023.png

Looks like Aussie take on South Africa for a chance to play (likely) India in the Final. Can't wait! :D

New Zealand have a hugely better run rate than Pakistan and Afghanistan.

As for England, they have been out of form in every department. Only about 4 players come out with any credit IMO. :(

Last edited:
That match was pre-Packer, played after the famous 'Centenary Test' where Australia's winning margin was exactly the same as the match 100 years before.
A great innings from Derek Randall, great bowling from Lillee and courage from McCosker, who batted with a broken jaw. Randall got man of the match.

Hookes, Walters and Chappell joined Packer after that tour, IIRC.

Cricket in the 70s: poor pay, great players and when patrons at Australian grounds were "limited" to bringing in two dozen cans of beer per person (!!). I recall one Ashes match when I sat behind a bloke with a huge "Esky" (portable ice box) - it wasn't full of beer, just lettuce and tomatoes which he lobbed at various people in the crowd he didn't like, plus Tony Greig when he was fielding at fine leg.

Geoff

Oh Goodie, Cricket is back after a brief lull. Radio 5 live extra on. :)

Virat Kohli has just taken the centuries batting record for ODI matches against New Zealand in the first semi of the World Cup Cricket:

Virat Kohli India.png

What a star! GOAT? Things looking grim for the Kiwis... TBH, only Australia might have a chance against India IMO. They never know when they are beaten.

I love any sort of sport at the very highest level. I suppose top sportspeople have a very unique mindset and a fearless approach to their profession. Sports movies work for me too.

Clint Eastwood has done some, Boxing (Million Dollar Baby) and Baseball (Trouble with the Curve) here, even if the knowledgeable fans picked holes in the details:

DSCN1445.JPG

Boxing is a brutal sport. My big brother fancied himself at it. He was used to getting his own way being a huge lad.

But suddenly retired from the sport when he got his *** and a huge black eye handed to him by a little nippy guy.

Why do I mention boxing? Fascinating interview by Steve Bunce ( A knowledgeable man who attended a lot of Eubank fights within 10 yards ) with former super-middleweight World Champion Chris Eubank. Known for his bravery.

Also well known as a man who, when he opens his mouth, appears to come from another planet. But a warrior.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001swf5

He said he was getting his *** handed to him by Michael Watson when he found a flurry of punches.

Eubank versus Watson II Middleweight.jpg

Horribly, Michael Watson collapsed with a blood clot to the brain.

Apropos rien, I once worked with Joe Tete, who was also a very good middleweight Boxer, but ended up brain-damaged, but we usually kept him out of trouble and in employment.

He was very knowledgeable about West Indies cricket despite the shakes and stutters. A fan of Cricket opener Gordon Greenidge, IIRC.

Back to Michael Watson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Watson

Michael has recovered somewhat now, but he and Chris remain great friends. And Chris has always helped Michael out financially.

I was moved. :cry:

Last edited:
The die is cast, my friends!

Tomorrow (08.30 Hours) is The World Cup Final Cricket ODI between India and Australia.

I can hardly wait!

I am massively invested on "underdogs" Australia. To the tune of £2.

DSCN1459.JPG

Disappointingly, I only got 19-10. But if it all goes horribly, horribly wrong, I expect to survive a £2 loss. May the best Men win. :)

People might ask why I am on Australia here... This is because the Ponsfords are known for Bravery against Impossible Odds!

Consider my Uncle Bill Ponsford:

Bill Ponsford.jpg

A mighty batter, got a Stand at the MCG named after him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ponsford

Anyway, Happy with progress so far:

World Cup.png

Keep bowling accurate Line and Length my boys. Victory will then be assured for Australia! :D