Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Aussie Rules is a strange mix of Gaelic football, rugby and violence; I don't like it much either, which makes me a heretic here.

By its nature and rules, Australian Football League (AFL) is less violent than rugby (Union or 'League') but the concept is similar, a bloke gets the ball and about five people jump on him - or her, now that there's a AFL Womens' competition.

The main difference between AFL and other codes is that when someone catches the ball from a kick - 'marks" - they can't be tackled. Former players are now getting diagnosed with concussion related damage and wonky knees, backs and ankles.

The 'Grand Final' of a long and tedious season will happen on Saturday, but even then the wretched game will still be in the news, with players getting drunk at post season functions and getting into trouble with Police.

Bleah, give me netball and soccer any day!

Geoff

I don't know what you think, but I have always considered the Dutch to be good and sensible people.

I may reconsider... :oops:

Simple Dutch football (soccer) game turns into a riot!

Ajax versus Feyenoord 2.jpg

All the players left the pitch, all the Ajax supporters were kicked out of the ground. There were no Feyenoord supporters in attendance, due to an expectation of trouble, though Feyenoord were breezing it at 3-0 at the time.

Whole thing turned into a worse shambles when Ajax supporters tried to re-enter the ground:

Ajax versus Feyenoord.jpg
#

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66907389

Sod a weak continuation behind closed doors, I am giving it 4-0 to Feyenoord. IMO, Ajax should also be kicked out of the League. The beautiful game has no place for such people. :(

Don't real men in australia play aussie rules which is quite the maddest thing I have seen?

Yes. Greatest game ever, once you get into it. Ignore Geoff. :)

The best thing is that the lead can change many times during a game and even after two hours and over 100 points scored a side, a game can be won in the last 5 seconds by one point. I genuinely think there's no more exciting game, and in fact the rules are regularly reviewed to keep the spectacle alive.

Unfortunately as Geoff alluded to, things are going to have to change due to the long term effects of concussions. So some of the physical side of the game will have to be tamed down - which has already been happening. Some of the games up to about the 90's were crazy!

Edit: I chose to give up playing when I was 19 due to being crushed between two big guys running into me from opposite sides and my collar bone was partly ripped off its 'mount' on my sternum so to speak. My shoulder was numb for two weeks. I wasn't that great anyway, so bailed out!

Last edited:
:)

The best thing is that the lead can change many times during a game and even after two hours and over 100 points scored a side, a game can be won in the last 5 seconds by one point. I genuinely think there's no more exciting game, and in fact the rules are regularly reviewed to keep the spectacle alive.
Yesterday's AFL Grand Final was very close all through the game - and was decided in the last two minutes. I didn't watch it, of course, so I missed KISS playing three numbers to entertain the record crowd, over 100,000.

Geoff

Last edited:
I haven't put any money on the Nags in ages, but feel inspired today.

https://www.skysports.com/racing/racecards

Two goodish meetings...my fancies:

Ascot:
13.50 Emaraaty Ana 2/1
15.00 Commanche Falls 10/3 AND Jumby as a worthy outsider at 18/1
15.35 Blue for You 20/1

Newmarket:
14.05 Great Acclaim 40/1
15.15 Inspiral 10/11

Inspiral Last Time Out.jpg

16.25 Military Leader Evens

I know these horses. :D

An affordable £7 on the line. It will be an entertaining afternoon and far cheaper that going to see Pompey (Portsmouth F.C.) against Port Vale F.C. in the footy.

I hope Radio 5 Live reports the races.

Best regards from Steve (The man the bookies fear...) in Portsmouth UK. :)

Last edited:
@Stuey, TBH, I did not understand that game at all. Was it the catch that was considered good or the kicks?

Looked vaguely like Rugby to me.

I say this as a Cricketer with a sound Cover Drive. I was always more useless in direct contact sports, being a man of light frame.

MEANWHILE the old country of England has knocked up a splendid 364 against East Bengal in the 50 over World Cup Cricket:

England Total.png

I think this one is in the bag. But am listening with interest. Particularly to commentators Alex Hartley and "Aggers", who are very popular in the BBC Cricketing community.

Alex  Hartley England Cricketer.jpg

Jonathan Agnew.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216052

Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth England.

Last edited:
Steve, in AFL you get a free kick for a 'mark' which is catching a kicked ball that hasn't been touched by another player in flight. So that mark led to a free kick at goal. When young players are getting drafted (selected by teams at the start of their career) one of the tests they go through is a vertical leap test, which is an indicator of how high they can jump to take marks. Some players manage to literally stand on the shoulders of another player when taking a mark. Bearing in mind they run 12-14km per game (some have run 18km) and still have to leap that high as well as take and give heavy knocks, it's quite impressive. An AFL ground is 165m by 135m and many players constantly run all over the ground during a game (rugby/soccer pitches are around 100/105m).

Last edited:
And now for 'real' rugby - Portugal/Fiji. What a match! Portugal played some real innovative rugby. Rugby like football is a passing game. Nowadays it's nearly all about using steroids and bulking up and later dying young from the effects of steroid abuse. I'm sick and tired of seeing bulked up steroid freaks slamming into the opposition - boring,boring and yes boring.

In the first half Portugal used the most effective play in rugby - the long pass. They were so unlucky in 3 attempts that could easily have destroyed Fiji in the first half. I havn't spoken to one Frenchman that wasn't totally knocked out with how Portugal played. To be fair to Fiji when they got the chance with one stupid back pass that should never have been made by a Portuguese player, it got them back into the game. I am ashamed to say that I switched off for the last few minutes but the Portuguese weren't - they played until the last moment and won - bloody brilliant.

The 6 nations are rubber stamping the particle physics mantra - all systems tend toward self perpetuation. It isn't good for rugby. To survive and prosper rugby has to open up and embrace the many nations now playing rugby. Georgia - very unlucky. Argentina - playing some superb rugby - another team for the future. In the early 2000's I couldn't believe seeing rugby pitches in the university of Granada grounds. Chili and Romania can only get better. So disappointed with Italy they have speed but their hands let them down.

Unlike football where the refs only think about the money they earn - the female refs in the World cup either used the rule book as toilet paper or threw it away. In football - ONLY TWO PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED TO USE THEIR ARMS AND HANDS - THE GOALKEEPERS. They did as they were told by FIFA. Deliberately diving - no problem: pushing you opponent over blatantly - no problem. Openly using brute force to take out the opposiition - no problem. All female refs earned a minimum of US$80K the ref for the final US$300K - follow the money.

To see the rule book used effectively in the rugby WC and blatant brute force seriously penalised has only been good for rugby. New Zealand back to form? South Africa - very physical but is that enough? Ireland who wouldn't want to see Johnny Sexton going out on a high. I'd love to see Argentina do well - great for rugby.