• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

breaking in audio capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ClaveFremen said:
IMHO a capacitor has a (maybe small) effect on signal even outisde his designed working area (i.e. in case of a filter in the 'unfiltered part of the signal).
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the unfiltered part of the signal.
I didn't agree with him... IMHO, DA and impedance (frequency dependant) apply on the whole signaland not only to the filtered part.
And again here.

Dielectric absoption has a role, IMHO, whenever the signal passing through the cap is not symmetrical (in such case DA voltage would tend to be 0 in average).
Any music signal which has gone through a high-pass filter (e.g. a coupling cap) will have no DC and very little long-term asymmetry. Short-term asymmetry will not touch DA, as it is a slow phenomenon.

Really, burn-in it's not a problem, just a thing we consider
I use the word problem to include things which need to be considered i.e. soluble problems. If burn-in exists, then it is solving the problem of poorer component performance and poorer sound which would result from burn-in not being done.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I know I must have missed something.

it was very finely explained in every single detailed aspect why it have been misunderstood, when 'adopted' by audiophile caps suppliers for marketing purposes

well, you know how it goes when that happens, and here we are ....again and again, over and over
it will probably never change

anyone want to buy Black Gate caps, I have a few NOS, and boy do I feel stupid every time Im reminded of them :dead:

I know I must have missed something. After the short discussion of "burn-in" as a quality control method, that term is now being used in place of the "breaking in" of the thread title.

Well if components are considered defective if they change during "burn in" why should a quality component change during normal extended use or break-in ?

Thanks
-Antonio

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Did you break them in, T? OR did you just use them and found them 'wanting'?

NOS ;)

bought them long time ago from Audio Note
then thought I would save them for better project than what had in mind at the time

now, I don't even care to try them
I would rather buy brand new NIC's or Nichicons than waste my solder on them
probably even much better, and cost much less too...50 caps for a fraction of the Black Gates

hey, just 10 small black Gates could easily pay those other 50, or amybe even 100 :scratch2: good idea :rolleyes:

but the 'shelf life' specs ? I have no idea about them
dry lytics for sure

I suppose a big hammer would be the right 'break in' for them

those polypropylene round caps are so strong that we tried running them over the dumptruck wheels.....the cap survive the ordeal without issues, the caps were Plessey caps out of Australia....

Don't try that with electrolytic caps. I saw some at a junkyard that had been turned into "low profile" caps by that method. I didn't measure to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the electric properties of the cap were changed in the process. :p

~Tom

The buzz

We 'break in' both caps and even entire amplifiers, because we have to, in order to make them sound their best. It is a reality for designers like me, who hate the very high effort that it takes to do so. It is NOT a marketing tool. In fact, IF we can, we design out any serious 'break-in' by alternate component selection, if practical and possible.
To shorten 'break-in' we might cryo the more sensitive components before assembly into the final product AND NOT tell the lay public or our competitors what we are doing.
This is the reality of serious hi end design that I live with day by day.
Well John just because you make a living for a long time designing very very goods pre-amps and amps some pontiff on the internet will say they know better . It is easier to claim it is psychoacoustic or some how a placebo in nature rather than admit it is a problem that is real and must be addressed for success . Doubting is good denial of the true is not. This reminds me of the bumblebee for the longest time aerospace engineers claimed that the bumblebee could not fly yet it did . Only after much examination after years did they figure out how it did fly . Break-in period for passives are the bumblebees of the curcuit so to speak.

Hello all, I have a set of russian pio caps I. I am wondering if there is a way to break this in before I use them?

I understand what he's asking, stop breakin the guys balls people...

Traditionally you dont want to "break in" or run voltage/current through it when its not in the circuit... the circuit itself tends to do that as its working, and the longer it is being used the better it will sound...

for example if you cannibalize some parts from an old radio or Tv or somethin you found in the garbage, that circuit "broke-in" that capacitor... so it will work best for that, but if you put it in something else, it might be great... or it might have an a**load of noise or may be on its way out, and might not sound good for what you want.

Just put it right in and run your circuit... after a few hours of constant use ( I use 40 hours as rough estimate) the circuit is broken in.

hope this helps out.

This reminds me of the bumblebee for the longest time aerospace engineers claimed that the bumblebee could not fly yet it did . Only after much examination after years did they figure out how it did fly . Break-in period for passives are the bumblebees of the curcuit so to speak.

More so that you think.

Bumblebee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't try that with electrolytic caps. I saw some at a junkyard that had been turned into "low profile" caps by that method. I didn't measure to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the electric properties of the cap were changed in the process. :p

~Tom

but of course.....;) ecaps have juices and plenty of air spaces inside the can....i can not imagine how those juices will not squirt out....

"It is easier to claim it is psychoacoustic or some how a placebo in nature rather than admit it is a problem that is real and must be addressed for success."

The coronary being, its easy to claim (insert pseudo-scientific, audio-electrical effect here) is not able to be measured because (insert implausible reason for not having tested and verified the effect empirically, either directly or by dbt listening tests) and then rely on appeals to expertise/scarcity/vanity/(insert irrelevant appellant option here) to fend off having to answer valid questions.

I understand what he's asking, stop breakin the guys balls people...

Traditionally you dont want to "break in" or run voltage/current through it when its not in the circuit... the circuit itself tends to do that as its working, and the longer it is being used the better it will sound...

for example if you cannibalize some parts from an old radio or Tv or somethin you found in the garbage, that circuit "broke-in" that capacitor... so it will work best for that, but if you put it in something else, it might be great... or it might have an a**load of noise or may be on its way out, and might not sound good for what you want.

Just put it right in and run your circuit... after a few hours of constant use ( I use 40 hours as rough estimate) the circuit is broken in.

hope this helps out.

Is there a face-palm smilie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.