• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

breaking in audio capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The nice thing about the bumblebee myth is that it quickly flags the person who uses it as someone who doesn't bother to let facts get in the way of a convenient (but false) story. We can then ascribe the appropriate level of belief to other things they tell us.
The nice thing about a bloody ****** is he make snarky comments with out bothering to read the context in which some thing is used. The context of the bumblebee was in classic aerospace at a time when vacuum tubes where king and how the bumblebee flew was not yet know . So to the true of why and how a break in period exists. The failure at this time to clearly explain how passive parts respond to use does not make it false . Further where is you proof that an incomplete test method is true ?

The problem with the comparison is that is was known by all that bumblebees fly. Here we have an if being skipped over to get to the why and how.
Sorry about that if I failed to properly give the context . I was viewing it as an aerospace engineer saw the bee in the 1950s when they knew it flew but did not understand till much latter how it did so . To see it with wonder and the desire to learn the way it really worked. Rather than the common man making fun process. Hope that cleared up what I seam to have eluded to say.

So far all I can find is anecdotal evidence . What would help is say the use of some arbitrary wave shaped like music may be computer based with a comparator read it new run it for a predetermined period based on what we know say 100 hour to 400 hours and repeat the comparator to the original look at the difference. Then you should generate some data worth review . What to look for is the larger question . that I leave to others.

Thanks for the link to tomchr's site. It led me to getting the complete manuals for my HP3563, which did not come with the unit.
I seriously doubt that you will be able to measure 'break-in' with any available test equipment. It is just too limited, even though the ear seems to detect it.

or, just as a basic lets see test, how about an input to your sound card and record the "unbroken in" signal.

Wave whatever esoteric timeframe you want over the DUT, then repeat the above.

Subtract the second signal from the first and see if there is any significant (key word) difference...

Rinse and repeat.

Enter argument about the lack of resolution of sound cards and the horror of digitisation at this point.

If you are going to break barriers, it is best to not be told what is impossible. '-)
and
I seriously doubt that you will be able to measure 'break-in' with any available test equipment. It is just too limited, even though the ear seems to detect it.
I had to point it out, but really can't think of anything to add. Or needs to be.

I only know him from this forum, but I like John C, even if some of his methodology make me tilt my head to the side and wrinkle my brow.:)

We have equipment that can see and manipulate individual atoms to equipment that can see billions of light years into the universe. You're going to tell me nobody is capable of documenting this phenomenon that only a handful of people with golden ears can vouch for?

If you feel our equipment is too limited, then do you have any suggestions as to what would be required?

There is no 'money' in making these sorts of measurements, so they are not made, at least in the audio realm. The equipment cost is too much, AND even if we made these measurements, some have, we are told that the results are faked or poorly gotten. You can't win, except to listen for yourself.

lolz.

There would be HUGE money in making these measurements. As long as they confirmed a positive effect. It would certainly be cheaper than the marketing ******** and spin that passes for customer enlightenment in the relevant magazines.

The equipment already exists, and there are labs enough to do it, if asked.

All it lacks is will.

And integrity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.