• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BPA300 mono block

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the DRV134 is a bit old so not many stores are selling them.

Try RS online : http://www.rs-components.com/full.html

I found they have DRV134 at the HK site and their "Global Export" site under North America.

If you can't find DRV134, consider the newer (and improved) line drivers : THS4131, OPA1632, AD8138.

Or, build the balanced line driver with 2 opamps. ( http://sound.westhost.com/project51.htm )

Another option would be using transformers.

ths4131 driver

alex, i have read the stats on the ths4131 and cmrr is approaching that of a good transformer. do you believe that rod elliots twin op amp design is much better than the standard drv setup using the 4131 chip. using the twin setup and driving each leg separate would make sense. thanks:smash:

alex, why did you choose the .2 ohm output resistor instead of .1 ohm. is the extra resistance necessary which it also robs voltage from speakers. i have just placed an order to farnell and was wondering about this. also, before i start soldering parts are there any last minute changes you would have made which i could incorporate in my build. thanks

I just learn from another forum

(http://av-forums.net/plus/viewthread.php?tid=27503&page=13&extra=page=1###)

that differential opamps like opa1632 or ths4131 themselves have low input impedence and needed to be driven by a low output impedence source. Otherwise you will get current noise. So you need to use a standard opamp to buffer the input first if your preamp is passive.

I used 0.2 ohm because I want to reduce current flow between chips. Note that Jeff Rowland used 0.5 ohm and 0.2 ohm in their amps.

model10-2.jpg

concentra-3.jpg

that mean you are going to design a useable driver with this chip. make the boards as good as alex88 and i want some. have you noticed the neat bridges jrdg uses to transfer the output power in there amps. nice thick elevated copper covered in epoxy. nice!! if you can machine out about 75 pounds of solid aluminum for the case we could have some amps like that. otherwise 8000 dollars u.s. i am going to build my own thanks to alex boards. have fun:smash:

Haha, I am absolutely not planning on using that much aluminum in my amp. I'm doing 2 channels + seperate dual power supply using 1/4" aluminum. I have some access to a machine shop but let's not talk crazy now.

I planned on following the OPA1632 datasheet exactly. If you want in, it would be cheaper for me to order more. Any extra ideas are welcome. I will start another thread if interest continues.

1 opamp if you want to use it with single-ended input only.

2 opamps if you want to use it with balanced input as well as single ended input. I think this option has more flexibility.

I have thought of IF I would built it (ok, I won't), I will build a 3-section board that can be cut into 3 pieces and be able to use them seperately.
The 3 sections are : voltage regulation, dual opamps buffer, differential opamp line driver.

This way I can reuse these 3 modules for different applications, e.g. preamp, DAC, etc. Also this saves PCB setup cost.

haha, Thanks for the idea. That is a good one. I was thinking the same thing. I was planning on a separate +/-15V regulator board but why bother if I'm using it for here only. BTW, I was going to use my mains 25VAC and regulate down to the +/-15V with a separate diode bridge. It should be no more than a small heatsink's worth of heat for just this circuit, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.