BPA300 mono block finished and measured

Because in Alex's design, the AC ground/safety earth is connected directly to the chassis and the choke+resistor are between the amp ground and the safety earth.

Putting a resistor between the safety earth and the chassis can act like a fuse, blowing the resistor and leaving the chassis live and potentially deadly if a fault occurs.

Guess I didnt read Pocoyo post carefully. Thought he was talking about putting a resistor between pcb ground and chassis, like Alex have done.

Even I, with a significant limited knowledge, wouldn't put something between safety earth and chassis.

Thank you for taking time and answering.

have you thought about making your own PCB layout. I've had a fair few issues with the surface mount resistors causing high R and oscillation when hot. Mostly due to dry joints.

for this reason if i were to make the amp again i would not use 'unreliable' surface mount components. Just a thought.

have you thought about making your own PCB layout. I've had a fair few issues with the surface mount resistors causing high R and oscillation when hot. Mostly due to dry joints.

for this reason if i were to make the amp again i would not use 'unreliable' surface mount components. Just a thought.

I do have some knowledge about electronics but I havent ever done a pcb design. My plan is to buy the populated pcbs from ebay and change some components to better ones.

But I may consider giving it a go. There are alot of tutorials on making pcbs. So your are telling me that you would get rid of all the smd components on the board? What type of resistors and caps would you use instead?

thanks,

Mackis

This is my favorite amp so far (PA150). I gave it nice cases (monoblock construction).

Attachments

• DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 886
  • DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 830
I did some SMD parts at work and would rather not do them at home on my hobby build. I want to build something fun, rewarding and easy. If I have to burn parts and do alot of searching I wouldn't enjoy the DIY part, myself that is.

Nice amp Toufu!!

I am wanting to build a 200 watt x3 amp in 4 ohms myself. Only really need 100 watts but just want to have 3db headroom is all. Is there a BPA200 or what other options are there?

I did some SMD parts at work and would rather not do them at home on my hobby build. I want to build something fun, rewarding and easy. If I have to burn parts and do alot of searching I wouldn't enjoy the DIY part, myself that is.

Nice amp Toufu!!

I am wanting to build a 200 watt x3 amp in 4 ohms myself. Only really need 100 watts but just want to have 3db headroom is all. Is there a BPA200 or what other options are there?
For what purpose do you really need 100w?

The difference between 70 and 100W is only 1.5dB, more semantic than anything else.

There are good 100W-ish modules available completed for $100 or so, so no need to build unless you like or want to.

For less work and the same overall expense, buying a Behringer A500 and bypassing the troublesome input attenuator would get you a complete soluion quickly and for about $A330 and an hours work.

The entire idea of this forum is to do it yourself. Most of us could buy a damn nice amp for much less than the cost of diy. The thing I enjoy is selecting extremely high quality parts, not exotic, and assembling everything in a designed by me enclosure. I enjoy soldering in all of the little numerous discrete components and having it work. That is the enjoyment. Not owning an amp and listening to music. Build it from scratch, learn a few things along the way, and then you can have all of the gold plus the music.
A short story. In the seventies I owned a really nice Mcintosh system which was liberated from me by some scoundrel. Not until the early 2000's did I find some Mcintosh gear on ebay. I bought a boatload and had a truly fabulous system. However, I know longer had anyone to brag over it. Nice things are useless unless your friends covet them. I sold everything and began this journey on DIY Audio. I have not regretted it one second and feel that what I have now far surpasses the Mac gear. I now own what I constructed with my own skills and am proud of it. I need no outside kudos. You will never regret building something yourself. The feeling of achievement is astonishing.

Tad

I will stick with DIY. Not sure what the TP2050 or STA505 is. I had been talking on the 41hz forum for a while about different model T amps but never got enough info and other things came up.(Family)

So now I am just wanting to build my own high quality amp that I would be proud to say that I built. If I wanted to buy an amp I would try and find a used QSC. I cant remember the model number. It was a very low power rating and usually used in studios. Most of the horn guys praise them. Anyways.

The entire idea of this forum is to do it yourself.
Your reading and comprehension skills are lacking: building a working amp from modules or modifying existing units are very common practices and are no less worthy of DIY which is easily seen in the thousands of threads and posts on those subjects seen here. They are simply alternatives, equally valid depending upon the desire, time, motivation and desired end result of the person. Even more ironic is the two modules I was going to suggest were from a vendor here.
Most of us could buy a damn nice amp for much less than the cost of diy. The thing I enjoy is selecting extremely high quality parts, not exotic
I have been building amps for nearly 40 years and started designing them whilst still in HS a few years later. Amps nowadays are commodity items and apart from the learning and pleasure in construction there is seldom anything to be gained with DIY, especially for a chip amp which is typically a single item (an IC 'module') and a couple of passives or simple multiples thereof, hardly makes it much different to a discrete module sold complete. And there are those of us who remember before the GC when they were despised, but suddenly, after a near textbook implementation in a jewellery case plus lots of hyperbole, they became acceptable.

DIY parts also typically have almost zero resale, where the modified A500 could easily and quickly be returned to stock and sold later, recouping some of the initital outlay, which may be important to some people.
Nice things are useless unless your friends covet them.
That is just pathetic. I can own and enjoy something simply because I like it, think it is beautiful, well designed etc, irrespective of what anyone else thinks about it. Sad that you need to look to others to bolster your self worth via objects.

Last edited:
So now I am just wanting to build my own high quality amp that I would be proud to say that I built.
Fine. Then also look to items designed around the LME498x0 series chips. These have all of the input and driver circuitry on one chip and leave the output stages to the final designer. They can be MOSFET or BJT in power up to several hundred watts depending upon the number of parallel output devices used. There are a number of threads here with them.

no need to build unless you like or want to.

Apparently the people around here like and want to, so why shouldn't they build chip amps when they are ...
equally valid depending upon the desire, time, motivation and desired end result of the person.

I have been building amps for nearly 40 years
...inspite of knowing that...
There are good 100W-ish modules available completed for $100 or so...
...and...
For less work and the same overall expense, buying a Behringer A500...
...and...
DIY parts also typically have almost zero resale,

And now you came to the conclusion that building amps those 40 years was a mistake and therefore post to spare others from making the same mistake?

I am not trying to start an argument but just was suggested to have about 100-200 watts of amp per speaker. For me that will be channels. The 3886 seem to put out around 68 watts so thats why I mentioned 70 watts.

I said 100 watts because I was wanting enough power and yet have the amp coasting by when listening to movies at reference volume.

Everything said and done I will probably end up searching all venues and see what works. Having a bunch of modded amps is fine by me but I would like to build a nice high quality amp for 2 channel listening at least and then go from there. This is going to be a horribly slow process anyways.

I was think before of buying the Crown D45(used) for my highs. Now if I can build something similar I am all for it. If not and the cost is A LOT more I will just have to wait for that build.

Cant afford Krell mono block clone parts but do want to at least have the 2 channel listening with an amp I built.

Dont have many friends here so no one will care about what I have. But I will and thats what will count.

I will have to search the LME498x0 builds and see what that all involves.

Watts is not what listening to audio sources is about.
It is about what you hear.
Hearing requires some Sound Pressure Level (SPL).

Listening to music and other audio sources is about SPL.

You decide what SPL you like to listen at for your various sources, whether it's the birdsong of a rare species, or a gently plucked acoustic guitar string, or the sound effects accompanying your favorite film.

Start with SPL.
Forget about the numbers game (Watts or pseudo watts or pmpo) that the CAR audio fraternity has gone down.