Bob Pease on the New LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting scared

maxlorenz said:
I have this infirmity wich urges me to try and get good sound from digital sources :D :clown: I can't help wanting to build every interesting project/mod out there :bawling:
(at least my children still have food and shelter)

I build speakers for fun...
I build amps by necessity...
But Digital sources are a passion!

Uf! I feel better now...

Cheers,
M [/B]

Oh, so you are the new bo.. sorry, ehm, dac-collector out here.

:clown: ;)

OK, I swaped the stock OPA2134 from UCD400 to LM4562 :cool:
I kind of liked the BB opa, but the LM is from another planet, really. Much more inner detail and armonics/textures...trasparent, transparent.
Plus, I don't feel bass is lacking, on the contrary, it is deeper and ampler then before, as Ryssen declared, just not "dark" as BB, maybe because of the more detail, control and openness of the whole audio spectrum...

I guess that's how Halcro amps must sound...:cool:

maxlorenz said:
OK, I swaped the stock OPA2134 from UCD400 to LM4562 :cool:
I kind of liked the BB opa, but the LM is from another planet, really. Much more inner detail and armonics/textures...trasparent, transparent.
Plus, I don't feel bass is lacking, on the contrary, it is deeper and ampler then before, as Ryssen declared, just not "dark" as BB, maybe because of the more detail, control and openness of the whole audio spectrum...

I assume there better than the AD8620's too.
So I guess I should put in those LM4562's I've been sittin on for a year huh?
:rolleyes:

Mike

To my ears the 4562 uncovers some more detail and depth but it's not amazingly better. The 2134s are still a great value at half the price.
In my headphone amp it was a huge difference to the 2134,the 2134 sounded compressed and hars in comparision.It is on pair with my other favorite AD827 very detailed.I do not regret paying those extra dollars for the improvement,and I´m not rich..
Infact I cannot belive that a few years ago I liked the 2134 and AD8620.:eek:

Actualy I did a quick listening test on some opamps I used for some years ago,it was:
OPA2134
OPA2132
OPA2604
against
AD827
LM4562
AD8620
Did some swapping-listening-swapping....

And I prefered AD827 and LM4562,I before did like the AD8620 but now the cymbals didn´t sound like symbals,and the OPA all sounded worse.The AD827 has a little higher level on the cybals than LM4562,but the later has more natural bass.I often switch between those 2 each have sommething the other don´t.
At least in my headamp.:)
I have tested many more opams but those 2 are the favorits,for the moment.;)

Hi Portlandmike,

So I guess I should put in those LM4562's I've been sittin on for a year huh?

Gee, Mike, I thought I had transmitted you some reckless enthousiasm before! :D
(maybe you have prototypes? being that old...)

I agree with Ryssen with respect to HF: we are probably used to some HF noise that LM4562 reduces, making sound more "raw". In fact I hear more armonics, notably on strings, wich I love and wich are IMO the hardest to reproduce naturally.

About DVD's, even with high PSRR, the player will benefit from further tweaking the supply...wich leds me to another question to be asked on another thread...

OPA627 is a great opamp at ten times the price :(

Regards,
M

Follow-up to my earlier query

Obtained some LME49710NA, popped them in the cradles Stello so thoughtfully provided for their OPA627 predecessors in the CDA320's output stage...

And :cloud9:

Bass improved in every way, better sense of acoustic space, and a more natural instrumental timbre are the immediately obvious benefits, and that's straight out of the tube.

If you "believe" in run-in then there should be more to come...

Downside is the extra insight is revealing of DAB (routed thru the Stello's DAC) radio's HF oddities.

Otherwise the best single-component upgrade I've yet tried. Thanks all for the advice.

churz, eofs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.