Bob Pease on the New LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: no single, quad

rtirion said:

From a thread over at Head-Fi:

I was talking to the National Semi rep today (the price I have to pay when I order samples at work), and he mentioned that the LM4562 will soon be replaced by the LME49860. The part is supposedly the same, with higher voltage rails (+/- 22V vs. +/- 17V). He stated that the part was in production, but was not yet on the web site. (Apparently National is renaming all their audio parts.)

I have a preliminary data sheet, that appears to be the same as the LM4562 data sheet, with the updated voltage ratings. Searching the National web site didn't show the new part yet, so stay tuned. It will be available in single, dual, and quad packages. It will still be available in the DIP package, as well as SOIC and TO-99 metal can packages.

...probably so the LM4562 fits with the new 'LME' naming scheme.

Re: Re: no single, quad

AudioNewb said:

From a thread over at Head-Fi:

...probably so the LM4562 fits with the new 'LME' naming scheme.

It's not the first time that National has done that to a part -- they used to produce the LM3525 pwm chip (i.e. SG3525) but it is now a USB Power Switch.

This probably means that there will be a scarcity value for LM4562's :) -- some folks insist that only Motorola MPS8599's will do in their Leach, On-Semi units being unsatisfactory.

LME49740

I tried the quad version, LME49740 on my modded active crossover (Ampslab) instead of TL074 stock output opamps.
The effect is comparable to swapping JRC4580 or NE5332 for the, now famous, LM4562 :D

Sound floor is lower (more detailed), less noise, much better textures (no grain); enhanced subjective dynamic contrasts; increased subjective freq. extension.
The good thing is that they do not sound sterile even with the improved inner detail. On the contrary, it sounds even warmer and involving (warm as in colorful).
Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the tip:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49740.html

Cheers,
M

Re: Re: Re: no single, quad

jackinnj said:

It's not the first time that National has done that to a part -- they used to produce the LM3525 pwm chip (i.e. SG3525) but it is now a USB Power Switch.

This probably means that there will be a scarcity value for LM4562's :) -- some folks insist that only Motorola MPS8599's will do in their Leach, On-Semi units being unsatisfactory.

The part# from TI/BB is logic to me: PCM for the dacs, (pulse code modulation) OPA for opamps, (though not all their opamps are labeled as OPA) and SCR for sample rate converter ;)

Hi Folk!

I tried the LM4562 in a TAG AV30R after the DAC (was OPA627, and originaly OPA2134). The result is very fine.

The stage is:

AK4393 + LM4562 + CD4053 + OPA2132 + PGA2311A + OPA2132 (+ servo with OPA2132)

PSU is 15V.

The sound is close to the 627 but without grain. Less bass but more regular. No hard high freq as with AD8620. Improved details and dynamic. Warm but not too. Voices are very very fine. Acoustic guitar not harsh and very detailed. In stereo, the effect seems larger.

stef1777 said:
Hi Folk!

I tried the LM4562 in a TAG AV30R after the DAC (was OPA627, and originaly OPA2134). The result is very fine.

The stage is:

AK4393 + LM4562 + CD4053 + OPA2132 + PGA2311A + OPA2132 (+ servo with OPA2132)

PSU is 15V.

The sound is close to the 627 but without grain. Less bass but more regular. No hard high freq as with AD8620. Improved details and dynamic. Warm but not too. Voices are very very fine. Acoustic guitar not harsh and very detailed. In stereo, the effect seems larger.

Hi,
Why did you leave the OPA2132 in?
Just curious!
Bias current?

thanks

Portland Mike

maxlorenz said:
OT:

AK4393 is a very good DAC. I think AKM DACs are underestimated here. I wish I had the skills necessary to build an upsampling DAC with AKM upsampler+ AKM 4396?+ LM4562 :(
That would be a wonderful DAC!

End OT.

OT part two:

Yes, i have a AKM 4382 chip in the DVD player, sounds good.

I am looking around to build a 24bit 192 kHz diy dac in future, thinking of PCM1798 with PCM2706 for USB -> I2S conversion, and maybe a BB sample rate converter. As I/V the LM4562.
Or THS4032 as I/V and LM4562 as buffer.

Hi Tubee,
(sorry guys) :angel:

OT part 3:
I envy you, having the abilities to build a DAC from scratch. (harryeng, are you there?)

While you plan it, please consider the possibility to build it with the following parts:

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4396/ak4396_f00e.pdf

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4125/ak4125_f02e.pdf

You can extract more audio wisdom than myself from those impressive files ;)

It seems that they are not easy to source, though.

If you build it, I'll buy the first PCB! :cool:

Cheers,
M

PS: you don't need I/V here, only perhaps output stage with LM4562 or the like, to increase subjective dynamics...

stef1777 said:

Because, I only have 3 LM4562 samples... It was a try, not a full mods.

;-)

Okay. I ask because I'm gearing up for a big mod on my SACD player, which also uses the LM4562, but it also uses 2132's, which I intended to change out also. Somewhere I read someone leaving in a 2132 in the path. Seems like the LM4562 should be an improvement by spec, but the 2132 is still a respected OA.

Thanks

Portlandmike

Hi chaps, excuse the numnutz noob Q, but can the LM4562 be used as a drop-in replacement for OPA627s in the output stage of a DAC?

I've searched this thread, and although the two are compared, it's unclear if the application is comparable, likewise I've pored fruitlessly over the data sheets before accepting that my knowledge is currently insufficient for the job... :scratch1:

churz, eofs

OT part 4:D

Maxlorenz, i thought you wanted EC designs dac?
I like I outputs, nice to fiddle with. Better choose own opamps against the standard incorporated opamps in dac.

If AKM is that difficult to get, i'll stay at the pcm. The pcb will be designed by simple French TCI software. (trous are holes!) But would be happy with a good and simple pcb drawing program for Linux.

Portlandmike,
Keeping 2132 will maintain some of "BB's dark and weighty sound" while transparency and inner detail will suffer, IMHO. You know you'll have to try it and see... :)

I will make this very swap (LM4562 instead of 2132?) for my UCD400 wich already have monster bass with Rubycon ZL as PS caps, so I can tolerate some lost on subjective "weight".
Anyway, as time elapses I find the LM4562 sounds even better, with impressive bass. Has anybody found this fenomenon or is it just me going crazier? :D

OT again, at least nobody complaints :angel:

AKM: Worst than not easy. Impossible.

Dommage, très dommage!

Maxlorenz, i thought you wanted EC designs dac?

Indeed, I already ordered the parts :cool:
The box and PS's are waiting here. I only lack a laptop :(
And will also build a DDDACed-DIDAC with 64chips!

You know, and Mike can confirm, that even with my evident lack of basic knowledge, I have this infirmity wich urges me to try and get good sound from digital sources :D :clown: I can't help wanting to build every interesting project/mod out there :bawling:
(at least my children still have food and shelter)

I build speakers for fun...
I build amps by necessity...
But Digital sources are a passion!

Uf! I feel better now...

Cheers,
M

Nine LM4562...

One still missing... Not tried yet.

Attachments

• 9lm4562.jpg
    9lm4562.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 895
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.