Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

A second stage with both emitter follower and cascode is prone to local instability, which is indicated by the 50 MHz peak you see. Some randomly placed RC networks may, at least in simulation, mitigate the effect. But a far more powerful technique, used extensively in IC opamps but apparently mostly unknown to audio designers, is the use of a feed-forward capacitor at the emitter follower. For the schematic you posted in the other thread this would mean a capacitor (roughly 100 pF) from the base of Q19 (Q20) to the base of Q21 (Q22).

Also the capacitors from the current mirror inputs (C5 and C6) to ground look dubious to my eyes. Any reason for these? Also I'm not sure if it is a smart idea to implemented the amp without output stage; the second stage output node might be rather sensitive to capacitive loading. Use a small-signal class A emitter follower for prototyping.

Samuel

RC

Hi there,

First of all, I am happy to see Edmond is back on the forum since most of my actual schematic has been discussed with him.

As for the utility of the RC network in simulation it seems indeed rather of lower effect. Or effect in a less important portion of the graphs. However I built once one of those circuits. And also getting back to Samuels comment it indeed helps to lower / annulate oscillations which are like bursts on the scope. I can only guess it is indeed a local oscillation. What I can say for sure is that they have quite effect in reality.

As for the caps to ground in the IPS their effect is indeed very small in simulation and also in my previous pcb, they didn't have any noticeable effect. But I guess they are only useful in case of instability resulting from complex parameters and that in my case they were not needed.

I have a small OPS which is not implemented in this schematic nor in the pcb. I can connect it to the test pcb. I need however a jumper set in the pcb to make it easy. Or I can include the whole stuff on the pcb itself. Mmm I had troubles getting everything fitted on a 100x140mm pcb ... maybe I need to remove fuses and lower rail cap sizes ... it is a prototype anyway and will always be used with a bench powersupply (limited current).

I will check out what your solution brings in the simulation : 100pF between bases of Q19 & Q21 respectively Q20 & Q22

Cheers,

Olivier

A second stage with both emitter follower and cascode is prone to local instability, which is indicated by the 50 MHz peak you see. Some randomly placed RC networks may, at least in simulation, mitigate the effect. But a far more powerful technique, used extensively in IC opamps but apparently mostly unknown to audio designers, is the use of a feed-forward capacitor at the emitter follower. For the schematic you posted in the other thread this would mean a capacitor (roughly 100 pF) from the base of Q19 (Q20) to the base of Q21 (Q22).

Hi Samuel,

Indeed, those feed-forward capacitors are quite effective in suppressing local instability. More recently, by placing caps more or less 'randomly', I discovered this too.

On the other hand, according to Glen Kleinschmidt, a RC network at the input of the VAS serves one more purpose: reducing the susceptibility to HF ingress.

Also the capacitors from the current mirror inputs (C5 and C6) to ground look dubious to my eyes. Any reason for these?

Those caps vastly improve the PSRR at AF/HF. Remember, Cdom is referenced to the supply rails (instead of gnd), hence....

Also I'm not sure if it is a smart idea to implemented the amp without output stage; the second stage output node might be rather sensitive to capacitive loading. Use a small-signal class A emitter follower for prototyping.

Samuel

That's what I told him too.

Cheers,
E.

unusable?

I'm aware of this, but then they also affect open-loop gain. It's been years back since I've looked into this, but IIRC the effect was gross enough to make the technique unusable.

Samuel

At frequencies of interest the effect is virtual zero (at least in this application). Even at 10MHz the OLG is only 0.4dB less. Is that what you call gross enough to make the technique unusable?

Cheers,
E.

a quick estimate is that it rolls of 1/2 of the diff pair current starting at the pole of the C with the mirror input resistance

good practice will have some V gain between the diff pair degen and and the mirror degen to keep mirror noise contribution low

so the pole may be ~2-4x below unity gain - but power amps typically are ran at Av ~20 or more so the added pole will typically be 4x or more higher than the loop gain intercept frequency (all assuming dominant pole Miller comp)

the added phase shift at the intercept frequency would be <10 degrees - so the added psrr compensation C at the mirror input shouldn't cut available bandwidth by much either

it could be an unacceptable cost at lower/unity closed loop gain

Last edited:
RC

Hi Samuel,
I replaced the RC network with the 100pF capacitor between bases of the darlington vas transistors. The result is very similar. It eliminates the gain peak @ 50MHz just like the RC network did before.
I am mitigated about implementing both options on the pcb because I am willing to reduce optional tracks as I fear they make opportunities for problems.
Greetz,
Olivier

Hi Pete,

That's interesting about the speed of the 40409/10 devices. I really did not realize they were that fast. I think there were several vintages of the TO3 version of the 2N3055, with different ft numbers ranging from possibly below 1 MHz to around 2.5 MHz.

I built two clones of the Citation 12 back in 1970.

Cheers,
Bob

Were you are RPI at that time? My older brother brought home the schematics for the Citation 12 from RPI some time in the very early 1970s. I also built a clone from them around that time. Perhaps the plans were floating around the EE department at RPI.

Hi Bob,

With a day of delay, here are the simulation results (AC) for the circuit with and without RC network C12/R25 - C13/R27.
The difference is a little smaller as I remembered but however, it eliminates the spike in the magnitude plot @ 50MHz.

With RC
PM : 89°
GM : 35dB

Without RC
PM : 90°
GM : 25dB

See graphs attached.

Is this worth installing the RC network? Or is the positive aspect of it negated by the added complexity and other issues accompagnied with it?

Cheers,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

It looks to me like you are doing the right thing. Little peaks in the response like that often concern me and, as Edmond suggests below, can be evidence of local loops that are borderline stable. The Miller compensation loop always has to be looked at closely.

Cheers,
Bob

Were you are RPI at that time? My older brother brought home the schematics for the Citation 12 from RPI some time in the very early 1970s. I also built a clone from them around that time. Perhaps the plans were floating around the EE department at RPI.

Hi Pete,

Yes, I was at RPI from 1966 to 1970, in the Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity. I built the Citation 12's while I was at Stanford in 1970-71 getting my MSEE. I don't remember where I got the '12 schematics, but it could very well have been from my time at the "Tute".

BTW, ask your brother if he remembers stories on campus about the "Chain Dialer" - I was the guilty party.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Pete,

Yes, I was at RPI from 1966 to 1970, in the Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity. I built the Citation 12's while I was at Stanford in 1970-71 getting my MSEE. I don't remember where I got the '12 schematics, but it could very well have been from my time at the "Tute".

BTW, ask your brother if he remembers stories on campus about the "Chain Dialer" - I was the guilty party.

Cheers,
Bob

I think my brother started at RPI in 70 or 71 so he might have just missed you. I will ask him about that!

Miller issues

Hi Samuel,
I replaced the RC network with the 100pF capacitor between bases of the darlington vas transistors. The result is very similar. It eliminates the gain peak @ 50MHz just like the RC network did before.
I am mitigated about implementing both options on the pcb because I am willing to reduce optional tracks as I fear they make opportunities for problems.
Greetz,
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

As Bob pointed out: The Miller compensation loop always has to be looked at closely, I strongly advice you to analyse/simulate both options. Besides, I don't see why a few (tiny) optional tracks on the PCB should pose problems.
I'm aware that simulating the gain and phase of the Millers loops (there are two of them!) involves quite some work. Nevertheless, I think it's worth the effort. You will need a gain probe and few big caps and inductors to combine the two Miller loops into a single one (probing only one of them and leaving the other untouched, will yield meaningless results).

Cheers,
E.