Bob Cordell Interview: Negative Feedback

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Output impedance of Hafler DH220

estuart said:

Or this one. It outperforms a blameless in many aspects, despite its simplicity.

Cheers,

Edmond,

I was just looking over your design again and noticed that R14 is in series with C15, don't you need a DC path to bias on D1, D4, Q7, and Q8, BE junctions? Or did I miss something?

Thanks for sharing your design, nice work!

Pete B.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Bob Cordell said:

But I would say that the distortion performance of this example amplifier has been compromised. I would not consider such an amplifier to be a very good design. The rise in effective output inductance to closer to a microhenry would be the least of its problems.

Well so would I, but I don't promote the use of low NFB - unlike quite a few of those who can hear output inductances (and like high THD)...........

Bob Cordell said:
Your point actually highlights one of the reasons why I do not use the full complementary dual differential pair architecture. As has been covered before, most of the time this architecture requires the use of the VAS input load resistor, and does not normally permit the use of the current mirror load if VAS standing current is to be reasonably defined. This means that we are giving up the benefit of the VAS operating with the higher tight-loop gain of the Miller compensation, resulting in a high VAS effective output impedance and more susceptibility to load capacitance.

This can be avoided to some extent by using the form of compensation that I used in my amplifier instead of Miller compensation, where what was the Miller capacitor is now fed back to the input stage input. This tends to get back the feedback we had around the VAS at high frequencies, and in so doing again lowers the output impedance of the VAS so that it is more suitable for driving a MOSFET output stage directly. But this is no longer a particularly ordinary amplifier. BTW, it looks like you have chosen to use this form of compensation in your amplifier. If so, good choice.[/B]

I have spent quite a LOT of time trying to make a good symmetrical differential input stage with current mirror loading, but I have not been able to avoid the need for a load resistor to define the VAS bias current without over-complexity with VAS servo amplifiers and the like. There are disadvantages to this scheme, but they can be avoided by designing the rest of the circuitry adequately. For instance in my simple class A amp:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~glenk/12W.HTM

I use symmetrical differential inputs with I mirrors and forced current through a 1k resistive load to adequately define the VAS current. Those 1k resistors may look like a horrible compromise, but they really are not. Having push-pull drive to each VAS greatly improves performance over just a single-ended resistive pull up.
The transitional type of miller compensation is used, but I use a triple emitter follower output stage, so VAS output impedance isn’t a problem. Testing of the amp pretty much confirms the simulated THD of around 10ppm THD-20.

In my 512W amp:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~glenk/512W.HTM

I have gone for dual complementary LTP inputs again, but have reverted to simple resistive loading (because I also have a dual complementary LTP VAS and symmetrical/bridged output stages) . You like JFET LTP’s and I like BJT LTP’s. Due to the much higher transconductance of BJT’s, I can get away with having much lower collector impedances, whilst still achieving an adequate amount of LTP gain and linearity.

Cheers,
Glen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Output impedance of Hafler DH220

PB2 said:
Edmond,

I was just looking over your design again and noticed that R14 is in series with C15, don't you need a DC path to bias on D1, D4, Q7, and Q8, BE junctions? Or did I miss something?

Thanks for sharing your design, nice work!

Pete B.

Hi Pete,

Your are quite right. Just remove the "spurious" C15. Due to down scaling of the drawing it's hardly visible that C15 is shorted. Also the dot at the node C5/R18 has vanished, so this node is also connected to C6..C9.
BTW, the schematic was only meant as an example of the basic idea. It's far from complete, no protection, no bias generator etc. and the BC327S and BC337S are "virtual" transistors. Replace them for example by 2SC3601 and 2SA1407 respectively.
Please, accept my apologies for all these inaccuracies.

Cheers, Edmond.

G.Kleinschmidt said:
Well so would I, but I don't promote the use of low NFB - unlike quite a few of those who can hear output inductances (and like high THD)...........

I have spent quite a LOT of time trying to make a good symmetrical differential input stage with current mirror loading, but I have not been able to avoid the need for a load resistor to define the VAS bias current without over-complexity with VAS servo amplifiers and the like. There are disadvantages to this scheme, but they can be avoided by designing the rest of the circuitry adequately. For instance in my simple class A amp:

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~glenk/12W.HTM

I use symmetrical differential inputs with I mirrors and forced current through a 1k resistive load to adequately define the VAS current. Those 1k resistors may look like a horrible compromise, but they really are not. Having push-pull drive to each VAS greatly improves performance over just a single-ended resistive pull up.
The transitional type of miller compensation is used, but I use a triple emitter follower output stage, so VAS output impedance isn�t a problem. Testing of the amp pretty much confirms the simulated THD of around 10ppm THD-20.
[snip]
Cheers,
Glen

Hi Glen,

In the past I have showed you an example of a VAS servo (a common mode control loop), see:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...d=101745&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=121 post#1207, which comprises 6 additional transistors. Not that much, regarding the 40 transistors already employed in your 12W design. So, I wouldn't call such a servo an "over complexity". Apart from more gain and better control of the VAS standing current, such arrangement is far less susceptible to a mismatch of the two Miller cap's. Even a few percent does upset the VASes. Maybe Bob is willing to explain again the story of "fighting VASes" or give us a link to his treatise on this subject.

BTW, so you have built and tested the 12W amp. Great! Can you give us some more THD figures? as I like to compare them with my simulations.

Cheers, Edmond.

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Having push-pull drive to each VAS greatly improves performance over just a single-ended resistive pull up.

Glen

Hi Glen,

I agree completely with this statement, but I hope you don't think that my use of a single input differential pair means that I use a single-ended VAS. I always use a full-complementary VAS, but I drive it differentially from the single input differential pair. This can be seen in the design of my MOSFET power amplifier at www.cordellaudio.com under published papers.

Bottom line is that the full complementary dual differential pair input is a convenient way to drive a push-pull VAS, and looks nice and symmetrical on paper, but it is not the only way to skin that cat. I believe that my approach yields higher performance with perhaps slightly greater complexity.

Cheers,
Bob

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Here is another design of a "fool", described in a paper discussing the implications of possible higher (with respect to BJT's) output impedance of MOSFET output stages:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/papers/Feedforward.pdf

It has a considerably higher effective output inductance than the "pedestrian" DH-120 and DH-220 combined.

Hi Glen,

Thanks for referring me to this paper by Marshal Leach. I finally got around to reading it in detail. His scheme for eliminating the need for the coil by transitioning the HF NFB pickoff from after the output stage to before the output stage is interesting.

In the paper, he quoted, based on SPICE simulations, effective output inductances of 0.9 uH and 4.5 uH with and without his technique in place (both without coils). Interestingly, and probably as expected, the application of his technique effectively causes an output inductance to be electronically "synthesized" (for lack of a better term).

Of course, either of these numbers is greater than the numbers of the Haflers, but there are two things to point out. It appears that he has got the K factor for his MOSFETs wrong, so their transconductance at a given operating current is only about 60% of what it should be. This translates directly into a higher HF open-loop output impedance and a consequently higher simulated inductance. Secondly, he only has 26 dB of NFB at 20 kHz. When these two factors are taken into account, his output inductance results are pretty consistent with what the Haflers are doing.

Finally, it would have been nice if his paper included at least simulation of HF distortion with and without his technique in place. I'm guessing that the application of his technique may significantly increase HF distortion from to the output stage, perhaps on the order of the factor by which it increases output impedance at any given frequency. I suspect that there is no free lunch here.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

With reference to the practice of taking NFB off before the power stage instead of after it, perhaps just that I also find it advantageous in the case of difficult loads. (I am talking, in my case, of a FCP output stage and some 29 dB of global NFB to take any remaining distortion above 3rd to below the threshold of audibility.) I found the total distortion to increase by only some 30%, still in the 0.002% region.

Although I find this more stable, I found no way to make an FCP output stage unconditionally stable with all loads. I did some 70 simulations, and do need an inductor in some cases (referring to the parameters that you outlined when you asked that need for coils be discussed).

In general, may I say that I read the past number of pages here with great interest (and learning! - up to now I have not tried mosfets), but I do retain a feeling that the "Look Ma, no output coil!" syndrome is a little overrated, as I have stated before. I have by no means the best design on the show, but everything indicate that my results are blameless, and I still cannot see why avoiding a few uH is anything worth spending a whole lot of energy on. Some designs (not referring to anyone in particular) seem to boast high NFB and damping factors of hundreds - to what avail? I would guardedly say that sometimes sight is lost of what will make a practical difference.

Regards.

Johan Potgieter said:
Hi Bob,

With reference to the practice of taking NFB off before the power stage instead of after it, perhaps just that I also find it advantageous in the case of difficult loads. (I am talking, in my case, of a FCP output stage and some 29 dB of global NFB to take any remaining distortion above 3rd to below the threshold of audibility.) I found the total distortion to increase by only some 30%, still in the 0.002% region.

Although I find this more stable, I found no way to make an FCP output stage unconditionally stable with all loads. I did some 70 simulations, and do need an inductor in some cases (referring to the parameters that you outlined when you asked that need for coils be discussed).

In general, may I say that I read the past number of pages here with great interest (and learning! - up to now I have not tried mosfets), but I do retain a feeling that the "Look Ma, no output coil!" syndrome is a little overrated, as I have stated before. I have by no means the best design on the show, but everything indicate that my results are blameless, and I still cannot see why avoiding a few uH is anything worth spending a whole lot of energy on. Some designs (not referring to anyone in particular) seem to boast high NFB and damping factors of hundreds - to what avail? I would guardedly say that sometimes sight is lost of what will make a practical difference.

Regards.

Johan,

Thanks for your observations. In some ways I think of the coil as being analogous to a seat belt in a car. 99% of the time you probably don't need it, but when you do, it is good to have.

Even if the audible effects are not well understood, it is good to keep the coil as small as possible, consistent with stability.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:

Thanks for referring me to this paper by Marshal Leach. I finally got around to reading it in detail. His scheme for eliminating the need for the coil by transitioning the HF NFB pickoff from after the output stage to before the output stage is interesting.

I don't think the intent of this paper was to eliminate the output coil. It was an attempt to achieve greater stability.

Bob Cordell said:

Finally, it would have been nice if his paper included at least simulation of HF distortion with and without his technique in place. I'm guessing that the application of his technique may significantly increase HF distortion from to the output stage, perhaps on the order of the factor by which it increases output impedance at any given frequency. I suspect that there is no free lunch here.

The HF distortion definitely goes up. I thought this was mentioned in the paper. However, as the 2nd harmonic of 10kHz is not audible, he didn't regard it as a "problem".

My slight reservation here:

If distortion goes up, that means poorer linearity, thus also increased intermod. distortion. This could mean audible products rearing their ugly spikes in the audible region even though the distortion order itself is super 20KHz. I wonder if any tests concerning this have ever been done - until then, I am a little nervous here.

Bob,

Yep - thanks.

yes, I can't find it a the moment but one criticism of some of the ultrasonic audibility claims does go into amplifier distortion as a cause of measurable - and classically audible <20KHz intermod products

22oz 8.1% Big Bear Stout seems to have impacted my search ability

Bob Cordell said:

In the paper, he quoted, based on SPICE simulations, effective output inductances of 0.9 uH and 4.5 uH with and without his technique in place (both without coils). Interestingly, and probably as expected, the application of his technique effectively causes an output inductance to be electronically "synthesized" (for lack of a better term).

Of course, either of these numbers is greater than the numbers of the Haflers, but there are two things to point out. It appears that he has got the K factor for his MOSFETs wrong, so their transconductance at a given operating current is only about 60% of what it should be. This translates directly into a higher HF open-loop output impedance and a consequently higher simulated inductance. Secondly, he only has 26 dB of NFB at 20 kHz. When these two factors are taken into account, his output inductance results are pretty consistent with what the Haflers are doing.

In his conclusions he stated that the effect of raising the output impedance may be minimized if the feedback point is taken from a low-impedance point in the circuit. He changed this point in his DIY amp, relative to that in the paper. His DIY amp is tapped off of the predriver stage.

jcx [/i]the complementary diff/current mirror bias problem has been discussed before Unstable VAS current in amp from Slone book: [url]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16796[/url] I simmed a servo approach optoisolator VAS bias for Comp Diff?: [url]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56860[/url] [/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by estuart said:
Thanks JCX. I'll certainly have a look at it.
BTW, are you interested in my article "Autobias for MOSFETs...", also using opto-couplers?

Cheers, Edmond.

Hi JCX,

My apologies for answering so late. It seems that you have solved the problem very nicely, that is, at the DC level. No problem if the gain of the two branches from input to VAS output, as well as the two compensating caps are equal. However, in your design the caps are only 10pF (btw, aren't they too small?), so, probably little or no "VAS fight".

Cheers, Edmond.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Output impedance of Hafler DH220

estuart said:

Hi Pete,

Your are quite right. Just remove the "spurious" C15. Due to down scaling of the drawing it's hardly visible that C15 is shorted. Also the dot at the node C5/R18 has vanished, so this node is also connected to C6..C9.
BTW, the schematic was only meant as an example of the basic idea. It's far from complete, no protection, no bias generator etc. and the BC327S and BC337S are "virtual" transistors. Replace them for example by 2SC3601 and 2SA1407 respectively.
Please, accept my apologies for all these inaccuracies.

Cheers, Edmond.

I see the shorted cap now, and I understand that it was just for discussion. Interesting to see new and different ideas, thanks!

Pete B.