Bob Cordell Interview: Error Correction

Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

janneman said:
Hmmm. Too good to be true, almost. Could it be that what is limiting the THD levels in each case, is what the two versions have in common - i.e. the input emitter followers (Q2,3, Q20,21)? These are outside the hec loop as well as the nfb loop if I'm not mistaken.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

No, the amount of correction is not limited by the input transistors (I've checked that), but by the limited bandwidth of the EC respectively NFB circuit. See also:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1323328#post1323328

Cheers, Edmond.

@Edmond & Alex:
Thanks for giving these references to the autobias scheme.

@Edmond:
Nice to have that comparison and to see both approaches in one sheet for studying. Also it's good to have all the corresponding values, I will try to sim it LTSPice and see if they come out the same, I *think* I've collected all your posted bjt models to be consistend there. WRT models, is there a an easy way to change the 2SA1407/2SC3601 to 2SA1403/2SC3597, at least on a 1st order approx (that is, fitting the curves to the datasheet to same degree as the 1407/3601 do? Maybe you even have the models and want to share?

Uhm, I have the same question as Janneman, I cannot, with my limited skills, see that the input followers are inside a loop...

- Klaus

hec != hoax ?

KSTR said:
@Edmond & Alex:
Thanks for giving these references to the autobias scheme.

@Edmond:
Nice to have that comparison and to see both approaches in one sheet for studying. Also it's good to have all the corresponding values, I will try to sim it LTSPice and see if they come out the same, I *think* I've collected all your posted bjt models to be consistend there. WRT models, is there a an easy way to change the 2SA1407/2SC3601 to 2SA1403/2SC3597, at least on a 1st order approx (that is, fitting the curves to the datasheet to same degree as the 1407/3601 do? Maybe you even have the models and want to share?

Uhm, I have the same question as Janneman, I cannot, with my limited skills, see that the input followers are inside a loop...

- Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Sorry, I don't have models of the 2SA1403/2SC3597 pair.

I don't think you've 'limited skills'. You only took the wrong conclusion. Maybe I had should have written: although the input transistors are outside the loop, they limit the amount of correction far less than etc, etc.

Cheers, Edmond.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: hec != hoax ?

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Klaus,

Sorry, I don't have models of the 2SA1403/2SC3597 pair.

I don't think you've 'limited skills'. You only took the wrong conclusion. Maybe I had should have write: although the input transistors are outside the loop, they limit the amount of correction far less than etc, etc.

Cheers, Edmond.

Maybe you could just check the THD figures at the outputs of the input emitter followers?

Jan Didden

Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

janneman said:
Hmmm. Too good to be true, almost. Could it be that what is limiting the THD levels in each case, is what the two versions have in common - i.e. the input emitter followers (Q2,3, Q20,21)? These are outside the hec loop as well as the nfb loop if I'm not mistaken.

Jan Didden

(cont'd)

Hi Jan,

As I have told already, not all distortion is removed as a result of limited bandwidth of the NFB loop. I would like to elaborate on this subject. Suppose that the THD20 mainly consist of the 2nd and 3rd harmonic, then we could see from the plot below, that the loop gain at 40kHz is 37dB and at 60kHz 33dB (far less than at 1kHz, btw). No matter how accurately the EC circuitry is engineered, mainly these figures determine how far the distortion will be reduced.

Bob reported a 45 fold reduction at 20kHz, that's more than 33 or 37dB. But taken into account that his simulated circuit has 27% more bandwidth, then above figures are reasonable in accordance with his findings.

Cheers, Edmond.

Attachments

• hec-vs-nfb2-fb.png
    hec-vs-nfb2-fb.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 712
Hi Edmond,

would the anwer to this problem be, in theory, to have a constant loop-gain reserve, that is, adapt noise gain to open-loop gain over a certain bandwidth, for a constant distance? That would through away useful Aol at low frequencies, though... but assumed we had plenty of it?

- Klaus

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

Edmond Stuart said:

(cont'd)

Hi Jan,

As I have told already, not all distortion is removed as a result of limited bandwidth of the NFB loop. I would like to elaborate on this subject. Suppose that the THD20 mainly consist of the 2nd and 3rd harmonic, then we could see from the plot below, that the loop gain at 40kHz is 37dB and at 60kHz 33dB (far less than at 1kHz, btw). No matter how accurately the EC circuitry is engineered, mainly these figures determine how far the distortion will be reduced.

Bob reported a 45 fold reduction at 20kHz, that's more than 33 or 37dB. But taken into account that his simulated circuit has 27% more bandwidth, then above figures are reasonable in accordance with his findings.

Cheers, Edmond.

Edmond,

In my own amp I have an excess gain of ohh, around 0.8dB or so. (I try to make it zero). Still, the ec corrects the THD to levels very close to the ec circuit itself, which now becomes the limiting factor. Time and again I need to stress that EC *does not* need excess gain!

But maybe I am not aware of the exact topology of your circuit that shows these almost equal thd figures. Did they only differ in the (local) OPS ec, but with the same ol characteristics, same ol gain/phase/ same fb factor?

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

janneman said:
Edmond,

In my own amp I have an excess gain of ohh, around 0.8dB or so. (I try to make it zero). Still, the ec corrects the THD to levels very close to the ec circuit itself, which now becomes the limiting factor. Time and again I need to stress that EC *does not* need excess gain!

But maybe I am not aware of the exact topology of your circuit that shows these almost equal thd figures. Did they only differ in the (local) OPS ec, but with the same ol characteristics, same ol gain/phase/ same fb factor?

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

I was referring to output stages in isolation. The schematics can be found here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1356927&stamp=1195651662

Cheers, Edmond.

KSTR said:
Hi Edmond,

would the anwer to this problem be, in theory, to have a constant loop-gain reserve, that is, adapt noise gain to open-loop gain over a certain bandwidth, for a constant distance? That would through away useful Aol at low frequencies, though... but assumed we had plenty of it?

- Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I've tried a couple of things, but without any success. Nevertheless, the idea is still appealing.

Cheers, Edmond.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Jan,

I was referring to output stages in isolation. The schematics can be found here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1356927&stamp=1195651662

Cheers, Edmond.

Yes, but these 'output stages in isolation' are really more than the usual ops, as they have considerable excess loop gain. In that case, the EC 'automagically' turns into a high-nfb loop (view 3). So, in this case, both ops's performance is largely depending on the nfb which depends on the excess loop gain. Would you not actually *expect* similar performance here?

A more usefull comparison would be an ops with excess loop gain and nfb versus an ops with no excess loop gain and EC.

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

janneman said:
Yes, but these 'output stages in isolation' are really more than the usual ops, as they have considerable excess loop gain. In that case, the EC 'automagically' turns into a high-nfb loop (view 3). So, in this case, both ops's performance is largely depending on the nfb which depends on the excess loop gain. Would you not actually *expect* similar performance here?

A more usefull comparison would be an ops with excess loop gain and nfb versus an ops with no excess loop gain and EC.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

Just because you don't believe that HEC is NFB in disguise and don't have NFB loop gain, you are telling me that "these 'output stages in isolation' are really more than the usual ops". You really make me angry. I've spent a lot of time to make my point clear, and you didn't even bother to look at the schematics. The ops at the right is exactly Bob's HEC output stage and the ops at the left is the equivalent based on ordinary NFB .

That IS a very useful comparison, don't you think so?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hec != hoax ?

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Jan,

Just because you don't believe that HEC is NFB in disguise and don't have NFB loop gain, you are telling me that "these 'output stages in isolation' are really more than the usual ops". You really make me angry. I've spent a lot of time to make my point clear, and you didn't even bother to look at the schematics. The ops at the right is exactly Bob's HEC output stage and the ops at the left is the equivalent based on ordinary NFB .

That IS a very useful comparison, don't you think so?

Edmond,

Yes, I stand corrected. I hadn't noted that the circuit on the right has no excess gain. Indeed, it IS a usefull comparison. Apologies.

Jan Didden

Edmond wrote:
Just because you don't believe that HEC is NFB in disguise and don't have NFB loop gain, you are telling me that "these 'output stages in isolation' are really more than the usual ops". You really make me angry.
Janneman wrote:
Yes, I stand corrected. I hadn't noted that the circuit on the right has no excess gain.
Edmond,
Deja vu. Just to save dozens more futile posts being generated, I've been round this loop (pun intended) many times with Jan before. He does not want to believe that HEC is no more than NFB.
Brian

traderbam said:
Edmond,
Deja vu. Just to save dozens more futile posts being generated, I've been round this loop (pun intended) many times with Jan before. He does not want to believe that HEC is no more than NFB.
Brian

Hi Brian,

Sure, deja vu. This fruitless discussion is lasting for a year now.
Isn't it unbelievable how stubborn some people can be.
Maybe the holy grail of error correction is a vital element of their religion.

Cheers, Edmond.

Edmond Stuart said:

Isn't it unbelievable how stubborn some people can be.

Cheers, Edmond.

Hi Edmond,

Quite frankly, this is exactly what went through my head about you when you refused to accept that any view of HEC other than your own feedback view had any value.

Vanderkooy and Lipshitz showed the validity of the NFB view of HEC more than 20 years ago, and I have never disputed it as a valid view. I think the alternative circuit you have shown makes a valuable comparison, but there was never a need for you to prove the validity of the NFB view.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:

Quite frankly, this is exactly what went through my head about you ...

Agree.

This thread has been doing fine of late, thanks to steering clear of unproductive clashes and lots of quality work. So much I didn't dare intrude as far as I had nothing worthy to contribute.

Please keep it that way.

Rodolfo