Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

john curl said:
Bob, please don't second guess me. I use more than 100ma/device in my JC-1 amp, BUT I operate at +/ 90V with a +/- 100V driver supply. You run out of practical voltage headroom with your caps, predrivers, etc, above this. Why do you insist that you can do something better than what we already do?

Lighten up, John. I don't think I was second guessing you. I was not even disagreeing with you. I was just asking you to elaborate on your reasons for stating that you could not use MOSFETs in your amplifiers. You seem so annoyed that I ask a simple question, the answer to which will be interesting to everyone reading this thread. Isn't that why we are here? I'm truly interested in understanding your reasoning, and I'm guessing many others here are as well.

OK, so you dissipate a lot of power in your JC-1 amp; I see that the spec is Class A up to 10W at low bias, and Class A up to 25W at high bias. A lot of heat. I like that. With 9 pairs at more than 100 mA with 90V rails, your idle dissipation per channel is over 160 watts. And you already have boosted supply rails. Thanks for sharing that information. This is one fine amplifier, by the way.

That tells me that high idle dissipation and need for boosted supply rails is not your reason for stating that you could not possibly use MOSFETs in such a design. I'm just interested in what the reason is. So what is the reason???

Nowhere in this post am I insisting on anything, much less that MOSFETs are better for your application. In my earlier post, I even acknowledged that perhaps your concern was with idle dissipation or the cost of a boosted supply. These would be reasonable reasons for not wanting to use MOSFETs (maybe that was where I was second-guessing you?)

I just want to know why YOU insist that they are inferior.

I think that one of the very valuable aspects of these threads is that we each test each others' assumptions, and we all learn from that. You are certainly not shy about questioning my assumptions and assertions, and I welcome that.

Bob

lineup said:

Thanks Bob.
Yes, most simulations where I got the specific 9th problem
also had 2nd, and 3rd that were even a level higher than 9th.

But it is strange, I think, to find 9th ( or 7th) that is higher
than 4-5-6-7-8.
It is not higher than 2nd /3rd , but there is something like
a peak of 10 dB compared to to the previous and surrounding ones.
And I could simply not trim or tweak down this 9th whatever I tried.

I am not very interested if this 7th or 9th is good or not.
I want to know what can be done to eliminate.

To me, lineup, all distortion is bad,
and no number harmonics dist is better than the other.
They all mean that the output signal is not in line with THE INPUT signal

And my question, again was:

What can cause this 9th (and sometimes 7th) peak in harmonics?

somebody may have some clue to cause, reason we get this unexpected test data
somebody may have done trial and error investigations
to see what is the mechanism behind these higher harmonics peaks

Regards
lineup

I wish I knew the answer, but I just don't. It is re-assuring at least that you did see 2nd and 3rd at the same or higher level. As some others have stated, it might be a simulation artifact.

Bob

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Bob Cordell said:

Glenn, OK, one thing at a time. You have now brought up a different issue, i.e., thermal bias stability.

Let me first re-iterate that there is absolutely no way one has to operate 10 pairs of MOSFETs at a total bias current of 2A to avoid crossiver distortion, as you had assumed. If you operate the total group at a few hundred mA, that will be adequate, since at that current level the transconductance of the group as a whole is adequate, and that is what counts for crossover distortion, whether the amplifier is a 50W or 1KW unit.

Now let's talk about the new issue you have brought up as a reason why you think that each of the ten MOSFET pairs needs to be biased at 200 mA, for a total idle of 2A. This is the issue of thermal bias stability in MOSFETs. I have covered this in detail in my MOSFET amplifier paper on my web site at www.cordellaudio.com. You cited instances where you claim others have paralleled multiple pairs of MOSFETs and run each pair at 100-200 mA. I can only think that you may have been referring to a design that used lateral MOSFETs.

All power MOSFETs start out with a positive TC of Ids at a given gate voltage. As current increases, the TC decreases, goes through zero TC, then goes negative. The current at which the TC crossover occurs depends on the type of MOSFET. With laterals, this TC crossover occurs around 100-200 mA, and provides for a nice characteristic that provides good thermal bias stability virtually for free (no heat sink temperature tracking devices needed, for example). So what you saw may have been a lateral design where they biased each pair at 100-200 mA to stay at this zero TC point. In that limited context, you are right: if one just kept the TOTAL idle current at, say, 200 mA, and ran half the current through each pair, one would give up at least part of the zero TC behavior, since each device would then be operating at a current below the TC crossover point.

As explained in my 20+ year old paper, this TC crossover occurs in the low ampere region for HEXFETs like the IRFP-240, meaning that in usual designs we are still stuck with a positive TC of Ids with these devices. This is no different than with bipolars, where the effect is actually far worse (see my paper). Therefore, there is no need or advantage in keeping each of the HEXFEt pairs operating in the 100-200 mA range for thermal stability purposes. Anything you say about thermal stability and concern about program-related temperature swings affecting operating point, it is usually going to be worse with bipolars than with HEXFETs.

Bottom line, there is no reason to operate ten pairs of HEXFETs in a 1000W amplifier at anything remotely approaching 2A idle.

Having said all of that, it is certainly true that the TOTAL amount of idle bias in a small amplifier using MOSFETs without EC almost always wants to be more than one with bipolars. As the amplifier gets bigger, the relatively fixed amount of needed MOSFET idle bias gets smaller, dissipation-wise, in comparison with the dissipation of the amplifier at 1/8 power or 1/3 power, so it is actually less of an issue in higher-power amplifiers. In the example you cited, even if we bias the output stage at a healthy 400 mA (40 mA per MOSFET pair), with 100V rails we are only dissipating 80 watts.

Let's look at the other extreme, however, in fairness. Suppose you are a manufacturer who wants to build a 5 X 75 wpc home theater amplifier with minimal heat sinking to meet a price point. There you WILL get burned, so to speak, if you choose MOSFETs over bipolars, because those MOSFETs WILL need substantially more idle bias to achieve low THD. Of course, in that crappy design, you probably don't have a design that can do 1/8 power with all five channels driven (but you might be able to do so with only two channels driven). Anyway, that I think is a good case where you would definitely suffer from the MOSFEts' need for greater idle bias to achieve a given transconductance.

Bob

Haven’t got much time now, but a few pertinent points I think you’re avoiding:

Yes, I was referring to lateral MOSFETs. In amplifiers built with these devices, 100-200mA bias per pair is the basically the norm, ragardless of the number of devices. When it comes to devices specifically manufactured and characterised for audio amplifier output stages, with the best linearity and lowest input capacitance, Lateral MOSFETs are at the top of the performance list.
That’s why manufacturers of high-end Lateral MOSFETs can get a way with charging ~$7 per device, Vs ~$1.50 for a comparatively crappy HEXFET with much more input capacitance and vastly inferior linearity.
Another thing worth noting about HEXFET’s is their horrible Vgs Vs temperature characteristics. There are some HEXFETs out there with the zero temp point at many amps of Id (well above any practical bias point for an AB amp), with horrendous temperature dependence of Vgs at drain currents below 1 amp - for a fixed value of Vgs and a junction temperature range of 25decG to 150degC, drain current variation for HEFFET’s typically exceed a ratio to 10:1.
Attempting to keep many paralleled pairs of these things in a high power amp operating stably with very low bias currents, as you suggest, without elaborate thermal compensation techniques would be a nightmare. I’ve seen people attempting to build high power HEXFET amps (and there are quite a few such amps out there) with multiple paralleled pairs resort to inserting source ballast resistors to compensate in exasperation!

Another place where MOSFETs fall down flat in comparison to BJT’s for high power amplification (and why John is quite correct in his assertion that his amplifiers would could not practically deliver the same continuous power output levels if the BJT’s were substituted for MOSFETs) is the fact that MOSFETs throttle back with increasing rds on as temperature rises. Higher bias currents are not the only contributing factor.
As long as they’re operating within their SOA, BJT’s don’t care what the temperature is - they will keep on delivering the goods. A MOSFET amplifier built with output devices of comparable Pdiss/Id/Vds ratings to the Pdiss/Ic/Vce BJT ratings of a similarly rated bipolar amp will always require significantly greater heat sinking.

abc11 said:
Mr Bob Cordell what is your view on "nfb dynamics" the freq responce of an amplifier may be flat but different levels of nfb
have a profound effect on distortion so could there be also a
role on subjectively sound of an amplifier this is a big question
for example big stability means super flat "dynamics" etc

kind regards
Alfred

Alfred this is an area of great debate. I believe that negative feedback, used properly on an amplifier that is well designed to begin with, is a good thing that will make for better sound and better performance. If negative feedback is just used as a band-aid for a crappy design, the results may be very disappointing.

However, what sounds good and what measures good do not always correlate. Just as there are some very good-sounding vacuum tube amplifiers out there (which usually don't measure as well as mediocre solid state designs), so there are also some very good-sounding no-negative-feedback amplifiers out there.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. The one strong opinion that I have is that some people have given negative feedback a bad rap for no good reason; but even that is just my opinion.

Bob

Bob
G.Kleinschmidt said:

Haven’t got much time now, but a few pertinent points I think you’re avoiding:

Yes, I was referring to lateral MOSFETs. In amplifiers built with these devices, 100-200mA bias per pair is the basically the norm, ragardless of the number of devices. When it comes to devices specifically manufactured and characterised for audio amplifier output stages, with the best linearity and lowest input capacitance, Lateral MOSFETs are at the top of the performance list.
That’s why manufacturers of high-end Lateral MOSFETs can get a way with charging ~$7 per device, Vs ~$1.50 for a comparatively crappy HEXFET with much more input capacitance and vastly inferior linearity.
Another thing worth noting about HEXFET’s is their horrible Vgs Vs temperature characteristics. There are some HEXFETs out there with the zero temp point at many amps of Id (well above any practical bias point for an AB amp), with horrendous temperature dependence of Vgs at drain currents below 1 amp - for a fixed value of Vgs and a junction temperature range of 25decG to 150degC, drain current variation for HEFFET’s typically exceed a ratio to 10:1.
Attempting to keep many paralleled pairs of these things in a high power amp operating stably with very low bias currents, as you suggest, without elaborate thermal compensation techniques would be a nightmare. I’ve seen people attempting to build high power HEXFET amps (and there are quite a few such amps out there) with multiple paralleled pairs resort to inserting source ballast resistors to compensate in exasperation!

Another place where MOSFETs fall down flat in comparison to BJT’s for high power amplification (and why John is quite correct in his assertion that his amplifiers would could not practically deliver the same continuous power output levels if the BJT’s were substituted for MOSFETs) is the fact that MOSFETs throttle back with increasing rds on as temperature rises. Higher bias currents are not the only contributing factor.
As long as they’re operating within their SOA, BJT’s don’t care what the temperature is - they will keep on delivering the goods. A MOSFET amplifier built with output devices of comparable Pdiss/Id/Vds ratings to the Pdiss/Ic/Vce BJT ratings of a similarly rated bipolar amp will always require significantly greater heat sinking.

Glenn,
Do us all a favor and read section 1 of my paper "A MOSFET Power Amplifier with Error Correction", readily available on my web site at www.cordellaudio.com.

Your association of price of a lateral MOSFET with higher performance is simply ignorant. They are expensive because they are an obsolete technology that is no longer widely used. 300B vacuum tubes are also horrendously expensive, and adhered to by some audiophiles as well. I'm not one of them, and I don't think you are, either.

As I showed with rigor in my paper, the thermal stability of HEXFETs is significantly superior to that of bipolars. Anyone who cannot thermally stabilize a Class AB HEXFET output stage will REALLY not be able to do so with a bipolar output stage. I have never avoided the fact that thermal stability of laterals is better, but that is not all there is in life. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am NOT talking about Trench FETs, which are a whole 'nother FET technology that is not advocated for power amplifiers. If you want to make comparisons, stick with the IRFP240.

A single HEXFET will put out 10 amps without even breaking a sweat in regard to RdsON. Why don't you take a look at the 20 kHz tone burst in my paper driving 22V peak into a one-ohm load at 20 kHz.

You keep going around and around on the dissipation-heat-sinking thing. While it is certainly true under many conditions that MOSFET amplifiers will have higher idle dissipation, which I have patiently pointed out, you simply cannot make the generalization that it is ALWAYS true that MOSFET amplifiers will need more heat sinking. The need to be able to cover the power dissipation at at least 1/8 power will usually dominate (remember, I'm talking about HEXFETs, not laterals).

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Glen,

It seems to me that you have no experience with HEXFET Vertical Mosfets so far, all you have stated above is in context with Lateral Mosfets, while HEXFETs differ alot......

The Minimum Gate Drive Current of HEXFET is define by

The main factor determining the charging current is Total Gate Charge and the Frequency of operation....

Ig=Qg X F

Ig = Gate Drive Charging current
Qg = Total Gate Charge
F = Frequency of operation....

Suppose we want to implement IRFP360
Whose
Qg=230nC
and desired Frequency of operation at F=50KHZ
from above equation the Ig comes out to be 11.5mA only.....

So its evident that the Driver stage needs to be capable of around 50mA pulse drivability to drive the Mosfet efficiently
WHEREAS
Bipolar Transistors need more than 1 A Base Drive to perform at this frequency.......Also the Driver needs to be a big Transistor as well...while in mosfets all it is needed a BC556 to do the job in a wonderful manner....no matter what is the level of rail voltage...

In my N-Channel HEXFET Mosfet amps i usually bias them at 35mA per device...and the Linearity is controlled by Local Feedback loop giving the distortions less than 1% without Global feedback....

I have designed Both Class-H amps with Bipolars as well as HEXFETS and both differ from each other vastly in terms of Sonic Quality and Reliability...HEXFET is a true winner

K a n w a r

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Bob Cordell said:
Bob

Glenn,
Do us all a favor and read section 1 of my paper "A MOSFET Power Amplifier with Error Correction", readily available on my web site at www.cordellaudio.com.

Your association of price of a lateral MOSFET with higher performance is simply ignorant. They are expensive because they are an obsolete technology that is no longer widely used. 300B vacuum tubes are also horrendously expensive, and adhered to by some audiophiles as well. I'm not one of them, and I don't think you are, either.

As I showed with rigor in my paper, the thermal stability of HEXFETs is significantly superior to that of bipolars. Anyone who cannot thermally stabilize a Class AB HEXFET output stage will REALLY not be able to do so with a bipolar output stage. I have never avoided the fact that thermal stability of laterals is better, but that is not all there is in life. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am NOT talking about Trench FETs, which are a whole 'nother FET technology that is not advocated for power amplifiers. If you want to make comparisons, stick with the IRFP240.

A single HEXFET will put out 10 amps without even breaking a sweat in regard to RdsON. Why don't you take a look at the 20 kHz tone burst in my paper driving 22V peak into a one-ohm load at 20 kHz.

You keep going around and around on the dissipation-heat-sinking thing. While it is certainly true under many conditions that MOSFET amplifiers will have higher idle dissipation, which I have patiently pointed out, you simply cannot make the generalization that it is ALWAYS true that MOSFET amplifiers will need more heat sinking. The need to be able to cover the power dissipation at at least 1/8 power will usually dominate (remember, I'm talking about HEXFETs, not laterals).

Cheers,
Bob

I did not associate the price of Lateral MOSFET’s with their performance. Lateral MOSFET’s have always been expensive, even prior to the emergence of new technologies, principally because they are more expensive to manufacture.
Lateral MOSFETs are still being mass produced for audio applications, and as far as I can see people are still buying them for new designs, despite their cost, due to their desirable characteristics. I think lateral MOSFET’s are just as relevant to a discussion on the merits of Bipolar Vs MOSFET transistors as is your beloved IRFP240.

I have built bipolar amplifiers rated at the kW level with low idle dissipation levels that happily keep their bias current within +/- 10% over significant temperature variations. I never said that comparable stability could not be attained with HEXFET’s, but looking at the specifications sheets for HEXFETs at low drain currents, it does not appear to me that there is any significant “superiority” of such a device over simple and very easily applied BJT’s biasing topologies.
According to the datasheet, at a Vgs of 4V the IFRP240’s drain current changes from 100mA at Tj=25degC to over 1A at Tj=150degC. The graphs do not extend below 100mA, but following the progression from the zero temp co point at approximately 10A, it is clear that at an idle current of 20-40mA the temperature dependence would be a great deal worse.

Your 20kHz tone burst test does not represent a comparative continuous high power dissipation test between a MOSFET amplifer and a similarly rated BJT amplifier. I'd dont see how it is relevant to the point I made.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Kanwar:
It seems to me that you have no experience with HEXFET Vertical Mosfets so far, all you have stated above is in context with Lateral Mosfets, while HEXFETs differ alot......

Ok. I’ll admit that the majority of my experience is with Lateral devices. I think that all the points that I have made viz MOSFETs Vs BJT’s in terms of Lateral devices stand.

Kanwar
The Minimum Gate Drive Current of HEXFET is define by

The main factor determining the charging current is Total Gate Charge and the Frequency of operation....

Ig=Qg X F

Ig = Gate Drive Charging current
Qg = Total Gate Charge
F = Frequency of operation....

Suppose we want to implement IRFP360
Whose
Qg=230nC
and desired Frequency of operation at F=50KHZ
from above equation the Ig comes out to be 11.5mA only.....

So its evident that the Driver stage needs to be capable of around 50mA pulse drivability to drive the Mosfet efficiently
WHEREAS
Bipolar Transistors need more than 1 A Base Drive to perform at this frequency.......Also the Driver needs to be a big Transistor as well...while in mosfets all it is needed a BC556 to do the job in a wonderful manner....no matter what is the level of rail voltage...

OK, I disagree with you here a bit. Driving a MOSFET with just enough current to ensure an adequate slew rate isn’t sufficient for extracting the best performance from a MOSFET AB amplifier.
If you want to get the best crossover switching performance, the drive currents requirements are a great deal greater. It is for this reason that many high-end MOSFET designs actually incorporate a complementary emitter follower or source follower stage between the VAS and the output devices.

Cheers,
Glen

G.Kleinschmidt said:

OK, I disagree with you here a bit. Driving a MOSFET with just enough current to ensure an adequate slew rate isn’t sufficient for extracting the best performance from a MOSFET AB amplifier.
If you want to get the best crossover switching performance, the drive currents requirements are a great deal greater. It is for this reason that many high-end MOSFET designs actually incorporate a complementary emitter follower or source follower stage between the VAS and the output devices.

Cheers,
Glen

Glen,

The Slewrate I get with these Drivers is 125V/uS.....is it still less to do the justice with full range audio bandwidth.....

My design donot feature regular VAS + EF stage its of another type...
Seperate Drivers for each half....inverse driver topology is used....
Common Base VAS..driven from emitter....

Could you drive your BJT amp with 50KHZ Sinewave with no load connected ..and see how well the Cross-Conduction current increases and destroys the BJTs in no time....

There is NILL Cross-conduction in my design upto 100KHZ OPEN LOAD

K a n w a r

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Workhorse said:

Glen,

The Slewrate I get with these Drivers is 125V/uS.....is it still less to do the justice with full range audio bandwidth.....

My design donot feature regular VAS + EF stage its of another type...
Seperate Drivers for each half....inverse driver topology is used....
Common Base VAS..driven from emitter....

Could you drive your BJT amp with 50KHZ Sinewave with no load connected ..and see how well the Cross-Conduction current increases and destroys the BJTs in no time....

There is NILL Cross-conduction in my design upto 100KHZ OPEN LOAD

K a n w a r

OK, cool. Your design is most likely adequate then. It’s just that a lot of people build MOSFET amps with no intermediate driver stage between the VAS and the output devices. They just apply that formula you provided and think that if they sink 11.5 mA from the VAS, that will be adequate.

Cheers,
Glen

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Bob:

OK, so you dissipate a lot of power in your JC-1 amp; I see that the spec is Class A up to 10W at low bias, and Class A up to 25W at high bias. A lot of heat. I like that. With 9 pairs at more than 100 mA with 90V rails, your idle dissipation per channel is over 160 watts. And you already have boosted supply rails. Thanks for sharing that information. This is one fine amplifier, by the way.

I agree with you, the JC-1 is a nice amplifier. However, it is also rated at 0.15% total harmonic distortion at full power.

Funny that. In post 134 you pretty bluntly implied that I should consider my designs lousy if they only manage 0.1% THD at 20kHz at near maximum power.

Workhorse said:

Not Correct, the Technical HEXFET amp design consideration is TOTAL GATE CHARGE not High input C......
That is the Drive parameter....

Just a note about Qg = gate charge, manufacturers state those figures often for a Vgs going from 0 to 10 Volts, eg. full on and off switching, thats where the Qg(tot) is used, for SMPS.

In audio amplifiers the working Vgs is around the platue only, eg. the "linear" region.

Qg(tot) data is for switching purpose, while Qgd is closer to audio amplifier designing.
See attached pictures here and in my followong post, first picture is data for a IRFP240 FET:

Cheers Michael

Ultima Thule said:

Just a note about Qg = gate charge, manufacturers state those figures often for a Vgs going from 0 to 10 Volts, eg. full on and off switching, thats where the Qg(tot) is used, for SMPS.

In audio amplifiers the working Vgs is around the platue only, eg. the "linear" region.

Qg(tot) data is for switching purpose, while Qgd is closer to audio amplifier designing.
See attached pictures here and in my followong post, first picture is data for a IRFP240 FET:

Cheers Michael

Hi Michael,

Thats why I consider Total Gate charge to design gate drivers.....
The figure shows that Qgd is less than Qg and therefore its more accurate to consider Qg as a main parameter in design
In Linear amps, when the output Clip, at the same time the Vgs increases to around 10V at which Qg tends to maximum and then the Qg is more determining factor towards gate driver...... Design

Cheers
K a n w a r