Board 3-Way PWM DAC with DSP ADAU1452 - 100W per channel

I came across a project in Sigma Studio in which they simulate the operation of a tube amplifier. What attracted me to this project was the ability to control the level of distortion. I made a distortion adjustment using an external potentiometer from 0.005% to 15%.

The result was quite interesting. This project is a good way to test your threshold for sensitivity to distortion.

The design of the project introduces distortions according to this principle:

-When changing frequency, the level of distortion is almost the same for any frequency;

Fr Sweep -12dB.png

-As the signal level decreases, distortion increases;

Level Sweep.png

-Even harmonics prevail over odd ones.

THD.png

Project in Sigma Studio.

Attachments

• Tube.rar
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 1 user
For some time now I've been working with an ADAU1701 DSP board and separate 2x50w and 1x 100w amplifiers trying to get things to work well together to manage a three way active speaker project. Problems with numerous power supplies, ground loops and general incompatibilities. I was about to re-ignite long lost electronics knowledge and design my own when I saw this post.

I purchased one of the boards and have been working with it for a few weeks now. The unit was delivered on time, well packed, Uriy-ch was in touch throughout, followed up on delivery and has been very helpful with information advice and resolving a few queries on my side.

The amp has been very easy to work with. I'm powering it from a 20V DC power pack to start with as recommended. I reviewed the amp listening on a known set of speakers and was very pleased with the lack of any high frequency hiss which is present on most of the other amplifier boards I have. It has more the enough power for my needs and sound quality is excellent.

Programming has been straightforward, I'm using a Dayton Audio in circuit programmer but any SPI programmer should work fine. The three Sigmastudio projects provided are great starting points. I have settled on the 3 way design but with manual EQ rather than the AutoEQ algorithm which I haven't mastered yet.

I can thoroughly recommend this for integration into DIY speaker projects or as a standalone 2.0 or 2.1 amplifier

For those who don’t like FIR crossover but want to have an even phase, I put together a subtractive crossover in Sigma Studio.

The frequency response and crossover circuit turned out like this.

Sub FR.png

And this is the measured step response of the sum of three bands.

Sub step.png

Below is a project in Sigma Studio.

Attachments

• 3Way subtractive.rar
    29.5 KB · Views: 5