Big passive OB project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
motosapien,

Yes 470uH --> 0.47mH (u=micro)

The DX25 is a very common tweeter :
Madisound Speaker Store
Vifa DX25TG09-04 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter 264-1020
The scan-speak is not necessary to sell when you sell the vifa version which is the same.
But if you want to use the SB tweeter, you can ;) It is very similar to the DX25. This new version of the DX25 TG09 is better than the old version TG05.

The spring is starting and the weather is good. I don't have enough time to enjoy the sun. We should change President tomorrow...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
We should change President tomorrow...

Good luck with that ( we tried it recently and not much "changed" ) ;)

But alas, I've strayed into forbidden territory......

Merci for the reply! I'm ready to hit the order buttons and wait for the joyful arrival of the brown UPS trucks. I should say that the Manzanitas are really amazing speakers, engaging and fun to listen to. I just want to kick things up a notch or two. Simple & inexpensive is a good way to start into OB's though and John & Pano have stirred things up with their fine design.

I'm going to stand mount your low cost design like I have the manzi's. I'm plenty happy with their bass response so I don't need the floor coupling the full length baffle would provide. I'll let you know how they turn out Jerome.

Many thanks!!!

Vifa phase optimisation

Mount the SLS315 on a 1m tall baffle improves a little the bass response.

Having a little more time to think. It could be a next step of optimisation of the speaker with the vifa mid. The vifa is a smaller driver than the SDS and has a better response in the treble.
I don't know if the result will be very audible. For those who want to listen (a tweak for less than 10$)
The idea is to transform second order to third order low pass crossover on the vifa mid.
See schema below. The spl response is not changed at all, but the phase is different. The treble should have better transient and attack.

That's all.

Attachments

• vifa_3_5_opt.jpg
    vifa_3_5_opt.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 734
Jerome,
I’ve been a bit distracted with some travel and work. Thank you for posting the speaker links, very interesting to see driver uses and pricing.

I don't know enough about drivers and design but certainly respect your opinion on the TT-130.

Hoping you won't mind taking a look at the attached cross over list (post #55). I’m still learning and hoping to order the correct components.

I also have a couple additional questions .

Post # 53 - due to the Hiquphon tweeter I should use; R-5=3.3 ohms and R6=3.9 ohms (+2/-1ohms,to be tuned)…is this still correct?

Post #63 - is L32 and C32 added into the circuitry or do they replace L3 and C3?

Thank you again for all your generous help! This is a lot of “fun” and I’m looking forward to the next steps.
Marko

Attachments

• Network list.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 125
Hi Marko,

You list has a wrong value

(2) Woofers Peerless 830669
L1 10mH P‐core 15G 0.33 Jantzen
Lz1 1mH Perf. lay 14G 0.21 Erse (Could be very cheap, 1ohms resistance)
Cz1 6.8uF 250v Dayton
Lz2 20mH Iron core 16G N/A Erse

Cz2 1000uF 100v
Not easy to find in the US and expensive... (In Europe cost 2 times less expensive)
Use 2x2200uF and mount then head-to-tail instead

Rz2 10ohms 20w Parts Exp

(1) Midrange Vifa 18‐08
C2 15.0uf 250v Dayton
L3 1mH Perf. lay 14G 0.21 Erse
C3 6.8uf 250v Dayton
R2 2.2ohm 10w Xicon
R3 15ohm 10w Xicon
L32 .33mH Perf. lay 14G 0.1 Erse
C32 2.2uf 250v Dayton

(1) Tweeter Hiquphon OW 1
C4 4.7uf 250v Dayton
L4 .22mH Air Core 18G 0.21 Jentzen
C5 15.0uf 250v Dayton
Cz3 1.0uF 250v Dayton
Rz3 6.8ohm 1w Part Exp.
R5 1.01 10w Dayton
R6 10ohms 10W/20wParts Exp

Post #53 These values are for one woofer. You should not use them.
Post #63 It is an addition, they don't replace L3 and C3, they only improves phase tracking.

I think the list is ok :)

Hi Jerome,
It's been awhile, hope all is well.

Happy to report...your speakers are now up and running. I had some frustrating delays with receiving broken P-core's. All straightened out now and starting to settle into the big easy.

First impression...very very positive!!!!

While the Manzi's are amazing, considering the simplicity and cost, these present considerably more -sound...presence, depth and impact. Big upside.

Looking forward to some extended listening sessions, likely some tweaking ahead...may have additional questions along the way.

Thank you again for your continued help and support!
Kindest,
Marko

Hi Marko,

I am fine :) Not have a lot of time to do HiFi or listen to music :(

Happy to read your first impressions. Two woofers work better than one :)
You shouldn't go back.

Waiting for some pictures of the speaker ;)
I think you have to do extensive listening. I worked more than two years on this speaker to have the best from it.
You should rediscover your discs :)

Have Fun !

Jerome,
Sounds like you've been distracted with "other stuff"...sounds familiar.

Best to hold off with the pictures right now since I'm still working with the prototypes. Actually, they're now full of tape, cardboard etc...as I've begun experimenting. It will be some time before starting in on the finished set.

Planning to check in from time to time, when I do please don't be shy in letting me know if you're challenge for time.

Having some fun!
Marko

Hi Jerome,
I’m happy to report; substitute drivers and all, your speakers (prototypes) have been a blast. Absolutely love em’. Your comment; “You should not regret”… was…is …right on the money!
When I first began working with the Manzi’s, then moved to your design, I always had in the back of my mind “finish them, sell them, move onto the Orion’s” What I can now say for certain… moving on or selling these won’t happen anytime soon. They will be enjoyed for several years to come and I’ll be hard pressed to sell them…. ever.
It’s now time to begin work on the finished pair. Should you have time, answers to the following questions would be very helpful.
I plan to go with the DX 25 tweeters and the HDS134GF (830991) mids. Is your post #35 the correct crossover network? Do the adjustments in post #38 apply? (#38 shows the SDS134 mid vs. the HDS134).
Any other crossover comments or tweaks?
Here are few construction questions;
- I have an extra slab of Travertine marble which I may attempt building the baffles out of. Outside of being rather heavy, any concerns with this material vs. wood?
- I’m also considering a slight rounding or curving of the side edges (vs. squared), maybe top edge too… okay?…should the baffle size be adjusted if I do this?
- I’ve seen other baffle designs that add felt to the front and damping material or spray to the rear, any strong opinion?
Thank you for your continued help with this, our listening enjoyment has been very much enriched through your good work.
Kindest,
Marko

Hi Marko,

I worked a lot on this design and i build something similar to the orion, i think it is the best design but very complicated. I plan to go to Orion too but my results in a passive way are very closed.

Any other crossover comments or tweaks ?
I don't think you will have a better result with a 5"+1". I think the 3.5" vifa is better than the 5" GF peerless. If you want to have far better sound, you should go to a far better and expensive midrange. You can use the 18nx001+ 27tbc ) , more expensive but impressive result. With a 7" you can suppress the RLC on the sub (increase the sensitivity of the speaker). If you don't have any other project with the vifa, keep it as is or if you want a big upgrade, go to this SEAS mid.
But if you still want the 5"+1" keep the crossover post #55 and i will give you the values of R2/R3 for attenuation.

-The wood vs marble, i don't know. Perhaps a thicker wood can reduce vibration. Perhaps bituminous pad on the rear can help.

-Euh about the geometry, if you change the geometry (curving the panel), you change the response of the driver and the crossover will not work and i can't help. You can round the edges (r=2cm), the impact was small. But curving the panel, it is an other design.

-I design this speaker without any felt or damping. Not need here.

Regards.

Last edited:
Jerome,
Thank you for the follow up. Good to know about your opinion of the Vifa. A lot of money to upgrade, thinking I’ll stay with the current set up. Would be neat to know more about the upgrades should you ever decide to post more.
I must say it’s surprising to me that more people didn’t get active on your thread. While these do cost more than the original Manzi’s the two are clearly in different categories. These are truly full range speakers that are nicely balanced at lower volume levels ….or play LARGE without tons of power, given enough space to breath.
Off topic, we do have a small connection with France. My half sister lived there for several years and has taught French in the states for 35 years. My daughter also loves your language and is looking forward to visiting after college.
Good luck with the Orion's, a passive crossover for those would be very cool!
Thanks again for all your help with these speakers they will be enjoyed for some time to come.
Kindest,
Marko

Marko,

I give you a little more details about the vifa TC9FD18-08. This small driver looks absolutely amazing (see Zaph|Audio 12/4/2011 Some outstanding test results..)
The distortion is low as good as high end drivers. It is a bargain for the price. Remember it replaces the scanspeak 3806 ( 16 times its price). In the HiFi world there are some drivers like this ;)
But this driver have a physical limitation, its size or surface. In OB you move air and it's better to have surface to move air.
The GF perless have a little more surface but don't have such low distortion.
To improve the sound of this speaker we need to cross the mid lower, 200-300Hz, but a small mid (till 5") cannot cope with such low frequency. The sound looses its precision to my ears.
If you want to do better, you need a bigger midrange with as low distortion.

This speaker was my main speaker for several years and are still my main speaker. You can live with it for a long time :)
I am using the baffle but with different drivers (2xSLS263, 18NX001, 27TBC) , i have less bass but a little more vivid sound. My room is small, too big drivers do not work well. It is an other design and I don't want to publish more. It is not a cheap design like this speaker.
My migration to something like the orion is not for now and i don't know if i would really do this. My speaker works good to my ears.
The orion cannot be done with a passive crossover :(

You can do a little improvement, but the baffle will be heavier. You can add an other piece of wood on the woofer section, you increase the thickness of this part of the baffle but i don't know if the aesthetic will be good looking for you.
The baffle will be a little more thicker, more stiffer, it gives the woofer a little more advance and improve the sound.
Look this : Stepped Baffle Study , http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/stepped-baffle_files/stepped-baffles-drawing.GIF
You will do a stepped baffle.

OFF TOPIC : I am very pleased to see American people are very linked to the French culture. There are some people in this forum.
If your daughter have enough place in her suitcase, she can put some good French wine bottle.

Best Regards.
Rodolphe

Rodolphe,
Thank you for passing along this additional information. I glanced at the site last night, stepping the baffle is of interest. Followed other links, wow, loads of interesting information.

Plan to do some reading, think about design and layout, then work on some modifications to the prototypes. Will providing progress, likely some questions, only if you’re interested in hearing back??

Love the wine idea, unfortunately will need to wait awhile as she's starting her first in college this August.

I Spent an evening with a Sommelier a couple of years ago listened to his amazing story about some time he'd spent in France. Enjoy sharing that with you sometime.
Kindest,
Mark

Mark,

Don't be shy, a lot of people read this thread ;)
If you provide your progress, listening impressions, it will be cool :cool:

I guess you spent the night in the sommelier 's wine-cellar ;) . Remember too an history in Burgundy, where we spent time in the cellar of the neighbor, tasting wine (a bottle for one in the end :eek:) and different sausage (duck, pig ...), walking on straight line was difficult after that, to go home.

Regards
Rodolphe.

Greetings Rodolphe,
Hope you’ve been enjoying some of the Olympics. You guys have some great swimmers!
Thought it would be a good time to check back in with a few updates and questions. I chose to move forward with baffle stepping by adding 3 additional layers of hardboard to the woofer section of my prototypes. The most noticeable change occurred in the base region. With the original single panel baffle there was a particular frequency, or small frequency range, that wasn’t quite right. While it wasn’t noticeable on all recordings it did show up occasionally. Considering how much I enjoy the overall base presentation of these speakers, at all volumes, this minor flaw was something I was willing to live with. I believe that by adding the extra mass and weight to the baffle it took care of this minor weakness I don’t notice it anymore.
Another difference, that I think I noticed, was a small change in the midrange. It seemed to be slightly more articulated with some staging improvements. Since I can’t do ongoing A/B comparisons now, it’s difficult to know if these differences were real or perceived. It’s sure amazing what this $10 Vifa can do. John B. hit a home run here with his updated Manzi’s, especially since “low cost” was a driving goal. The cost/performance ratio is truly off the charts. While the Vifa continues to work well at low to moderate volume levels it slowly becomes over matched by the woofers as the volume goes up and begins to fill a larger room. It doesn’t make sense to comment much about the tweeter section yet since it’s still a patchwork for now. I did replace the single Hiquphon’s with a pair of (front and rear firing) tweeters taken from a different pair of older speakers….still needs work.
Now for the new dilemma. After several months of listening to these, from a rather humble and unsophisticated prospective, these speakers have so much more potential that it is worthy of pursuing driver upgrades but not without proper guidance. If I were to step up with these; (18nx001+ 27tbc) would this require considerable crossover work? If so, is that something you’d be interested in posting and working through? I have a few other questions regarding baffle layout but they don’t make sense unless driver upgrades were undertaken. You’re thought please.
It’s a strange and lovely disease.
Kindest,
Marko

Hello Marko,

Thanks for the dense report. There are real technical reasons for the improvement when you have made the stepped baffle ;)
Small drivers are problematic in OB, they don't support well high level.

Now for the new dilemma. After several months of listening to these, from a rather humble and unsophisticated prospective, these speakers have so much more potential that it is worthy of pursuing driver upgrades but not without proper guidance. If I were to step up with these; (18nx001+ 27tbc) would this require considerable crossover work? If so, is that something you’d be interested in posting and working through? I have a few other questions regarding baffle layout but they don’t make sense unless driver upgrades were undertaken. You’re thought please.
This project with the W18NX+27TBC is a different project and i don't want to post anything on it. Yes the crossover is completely different with other values of components.
I don't think you will be far the best of this design, even if the 3.5" cannot handle high level of sound.

It’s a strange and lovely disease.
Yes :D but you should learn when to stop :) You can't push too far the real limits. And one of them is the quality of the recordings.

Enjoy !

Yes, i enjoyed a lot Olympics game, we have champions swimmers but the USA too :eek:

Best regards.

Rodolphe,
Thank you for your kind generosity in helping me along the way. Your full range OB project has opened my eyes, and ears, to a new level of music listening enjoyment. The kudos that you received in this thread was well deserved. I look forward to following your work in the future.
Kindest,
Marko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.