Big narrow sub under the bed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This was the rough box layout for the one I had in mind for under my sofa saving material and footprint by combining walls of two enclosure sand ports.

Attachments

• IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 164
Thanks graham, that's a fine looking sub.
However your last drawing is basically two subs with double volume? Or am I missing something here..
I am still learning modeling software and so far it only pre-calculates tke length or diameter of the vent, so I have to learn to specify both parameters and see what I get. Is there another way to do that by changing box parameters?

Also, I understand that a standard port inverts a phase of sound wave, so in result you get a half-period delayed wave summed with actual wave, so the sound should be not as "accurate". But you probably don't need "accurate" at 30Hz.

What a very large vent does I have no idea. Probably same thing as adding insane weights on to passive radiator, which lowers overall Fs? Reading continues...

Bought myself a single Reckhorn D-165 and a couple of passive radiators. Just because it's so cheap and close by (also cheap delivery).

Their prices are so damn good. Also took a car speaker set to replace my awful tinny-muddy WRX speakers.
Also could not resist on the body transducer:
shop.reckhorn.net - BS-200 Body shaker for home, car audio, games and therapy
I don't expect much, but I have never played with these before. I wonder if it could be attached in a car somewhere to add some lows. They say it can be mounted under the seat, but I could not find any public builds.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I haven't done it before, but in theory, I'd go with these ideas combined:

My two 6.5s are in sealed 0.5 QTC boxes and with room gain get fairly low.

BTW, sub-painting on a wall.. Has been done before

...assuming you can hang the speaker directly behind the listening position.

Each halving of distance is ~6dB of gain, so a sub that is 25cm from your head rather than 100cm from your head will subjectively have about 12dB of 'boost'. That's a big deal. It will also be 12dB less loud for your neighbors.

A ~12 dB proximity boost is much larger than the boost you'll get from choosing one (small) enclosure over another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.