BGW 750B output modules

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Freddy,
Older designs always ran the risk of oscillation with different output types. The MJ2119x series have an fT of around 4 MHz, which is close to the average output transistor used years ago. I have had very few problems unless the stability of the amp was marginal to start. I always check of oscillation even when using the same parts. That is one reason any audio service person requires a 'scope and THD meter (or better). These things are not optional, in addition to a good DVM. Every shop used to have at least these things and knew how to get the most from them. Today I hear people say they can test distortion with their hearing. Well people, that is not true, not even close. I get products in with several percent THD right from a "good" service person without equipment - but it passed the hearing test. Once you fix the unit, the owner hears the difference readily. Also, high distortion normally points to another problem, some serious.

-Chris

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Goodnight all,
I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but I'm delighted to see the enthusiasm that surrounds this amplifier which is often diverted from Pa to stereo. its weight makes it a cannonball I agree, but its reliability and its musical rendering make it forget this weight.
I still use it a few times on my JBL E100, but in the meantime I found my second QSC studio 1100 amplifier which I bridge per channel and which outputs 140W into 8 ohms. talking with other people on various forums, I hesitated to operate my 2 QSC in bridge mode on bi-amplification and I then passed the course. I switched to bi-amp mode with the BGW on the woofers and the 2 QSC studio 1100s, still in bridge on the medium-treble part, I was again amazed at the sound reproduction as well as the dynamics obtained, in terms of consumption it's not ideal to use 3 amplifiers for listening, but I only allow myself to use it 2 to 3 per month because I rarely have time to sit down to listen to my music at home.
:cop: Please post in English.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
hi, Anatech
Of course , sorry translate french-english , first language is french ( belgium Wallon )

Goodnight all,
it's been a long time since I came to the forum, but I'm delighted to see the enthusiasm surrounding this amp which is often diverted from sound to stereo. its weight makes it a cannonball I agree, but its reliability and its musical rendering make it forget this weight.
I still use it a few times on my JBL E100, but in the meantime I have found my second QSC studio 1100 amp which I bridge per channel and which delivers 140W into 8 ohms. talking with other people on various forums, I hesitated to operate my 2 QSCs in bridge mode on the bi-amplification and I then passed the course. I switched to bi-amp mode with the BGW on the woofers and the 2 QSC studio 1100s, still in bridge on the mid-treble part, I was again amazed by the sound reproduction as well as the dynamics obtained, in terms of consumption it's not ideal to use 3 amps for listening, but I only allow myself to use 2 to 3 per month because I rarely have time to sit down to listen to my music at home .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi titoon,
Welcome back firstly!

Using an electronic crossover is the best, specially if you can remove the passive crossover. One amplifier per driver, and you get amazing dynamics and much lower distortion. Oh yeah, it goes louder too!

Amplifiers operate better in normal mode. Bridging an amplifier brings problems and I think you may find it sounds cleaner in normal mode. For one thing, damping factor in bridged mode is 1/2 normal mode.

-Chris

bonjour anatech
Je n'avais pas pensé à cette configuration, je l'utilise dans ma sono utilisation de mes T3V avec deux DCX2496 pour la séparation des 4 canaux (infra - grave - médium - aigu) mais je n'avais jamais utilisé cela en hifi stéréo .

ma configuration hifi stéréo, cela comprend un lecteur multimédia Auna ituner CD internet DAB+ et FM avec Lan et wifi. Double 1228 platine vinyle et mes 3 amplis . J'ai encore un DCX2496le libre mais passer par un système actif va compliquer le nombre de câbles à passer pour les 3 voies à séparer.

Phil

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Phil,
I'm using Google translate to understand you so I'll paste that here so others can follow.
I had not thought of this configuration, I use it in my sound system using my T3V with two DCX2496 for the separation of the 4 channels (infra - bass - mid - treble) but I had never used this in stereo hifi .

my hifi stereo configuration, this includes an Auna ituner CD internet DAB+ and FM media player with Lan and wifi. Double 1228 turntable and my 3 amps. I still have a free DCX2496le but going through an active system will complicate the number of cables to pass for the 3 ways to be separated.
Just keep your filter slopes reasonable. Too steep is not good!

My system uses a Revox B-261 tuner, Denon DCD-S10, Thorens TD-126 MKII + Ortofon 540 MKII, Node 2i streamer through a Marantz 300DC and currently Yamaha C-70 preamp (normally a Marantz SC-9 switch problems). Everything has been optimized and modified for increased performance. My current speakers are PSB Stratus Gold (original), looking at Klipsch RF-7 III. My current speakers are hard to beat, the system has been stable for over a decade. I also have a Nakamichi CR-5 cassette deck, sold my Tascam BR-20 (the cost of tape - yikes!). I have a few other good systems in other rooms, all have steamers. All my audio streamers and TV streamers are wired network connections. That is far better (good thing I wired the entire house when it was new!).

-Chris
Gardez simplement vos pentes de filtre raisonnables. Trop raide n'est pas bon!

Mon système utilise un tuner Revox B-261, Denon DCD-S10, Thorens TD-126 MKII + Ortofon 540 MKII, streamer Node 2i via un préampli Marantz 300DC et actuellement Yamaha C-70 (normalement un problème de commutateur Marantz SC-9). Tout a été optimisé et modifié pour des performances accrues. Mes enceintes actuelles sont des PSB Stratus Gold (d'origine), en regardant des Klipsch RF-7 III. Mes enceintes actuelles sont difficiles à battre, le système est stable depuis plus d'une décennie. J'ai aussi une platine cassette Nakamichi CR-5, vendu mon Tascam BR-20 (le coût de la bande - beurk !). J'ai quelques autres bons systèmes dans d'autres pièces, tous ont des vapeurs. Tous mes streamers audio et streamers TV sont des connexions réseau filaires. C'est beaucoup mieux (heureusement que j'ai câblé toute la maison quand elle était neuve !).

-Chris

Reactions: 1 user