BF862 Preamp

Power supply specifications

Hi Juma,
i assembled the negative rail and has a voltage of -4.75 V dc at the output. Is this acceptable?

I like the power supply very much and made another one for my dac that requires 18V dc. The dc after rectification is only 22V and after the salas shunt i have a 18.8 V . There is only 3.2 V difference .
Can this shunt work well ?Sorry, I do not have a scope to tell.
Thank you in advance .

kp93300

I received a request for version of this preamp that uses 2sk170BL (Idss about 9mA). Right now k170 is easy to get and BF862 is a SMD component (not convenient for old hands and eyes ;) ), so here is the schematic.
The gain is a bit higher (9 dB) and the PSU is a bit different (be exact with input DC voltages +28V and -8V).

Attachments

• pre4crt.gif
    pre4crt.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,536
Those who have already built B1 and just need some additional gain, can add just the gain stage (and the PSU) in the existing box. Coupling cap (C3) is not needed if your B1 already has one at the input.

Attachments

• gainstage.gif
    gainstage.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 2,837
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Those who have already built B1 and just need some additional gain, can add just the gain stage (and the PSU) in the existing box. Coupling cap (C3) is not needed if your B1 already has one at the input.

Wow, thanks I think I will try this. Do the sk170 jfets need to be matched?

Are you saying this needs its own power supply, or is it fed off the existing one?

Russellc

Wow, thanks I think I will try this. Do the sk170 jfets need to be matched?

If you are talking about gain stage from post #286 it's just one JFET per channel, but both channels should be same.

Are you saying this needs its own power supply, or is it fed off the existing one?

It needs -3.3V and +24V (both very, very clean, the neg. rail especially).

Gain stage is designed to use 2sk170BL with Idss about 9mA (8-10mA). Voltage of neg. PSU is chosen for amount of gain we aim for and Idss of JFET at hand. That determines the Rs and Rd too. I always aim for Id between 70% and 90% of Idss.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you are talking about gain stage from post #286 it's just one JFET per channel, but both channels should be same.

yes, this is the one...I see only one fet, I was getting confused, that question concerns the BF862 preamps SK170s. sorry.

It needs -3.3V and +24V (both very, very clean, the neg. rail especially).

The one shown for the Preamp the thread concerns (BF 862) appears to be perfect for it? Post# 283

Russellc

The radio hack breadboard solution shown by jackinnj looks like a no-brainer. No doubt one could find better quality proto-boards (epoxy-glass with decent copper thickness and some plating on the pads) with similar characteristics (E-pay?). The big sticking point with me for these BF862 parts has been some sort of jig that would allow me to sort for Vgs vs Id without losing my mind. There are several Far East Ebay sellers offering a "clamshell" type" 6-pin SOT-23 socket for a logic device programmer of some sort. The price is about half of what a clamshell socket generally sells for in these parts, and a 6-pin SOT-23 socket fits the standard 3-pin part just fine. I ponied up and got one of them - the fit and finish is not quite as nice as the domestic product, but it still works just fine. Expect some BF862 projects from me some time down the line (but not right now, please).