Beyond the Ariel

Is it a ‘better’ performer?….sure………is it more than twice the improvement?………..i can’t relate to that equivalency when it comes to music……….

And then there’s the JBL2260…….there’s something about the midbass dynamics that IMO, NO DRIVER can compare to.
I can...... or at least I could back when I had the hearing to 100% appreciate how much inner? detail the 515B can extract from a quality recording, i.e. experiencing the 'is it live or is it Memorex' performance that being spoiled on live shows, concerts, too many childhood hours 'enveloped' in a large cinema palace's loud multi-channel, multiway horn system and eardrum flattening low B pipe organ recitals in a Ga. marble, granite stone cathedral.

That said, the HIFI purists of days gone by have proven that it's just amplifying recorded distortion anywhere and everywhere in the signal chain and in some cases manufacturing it with increasing power input, euphonic though it may be, so caveat emptor applies.

Dunno about the 2260, but as Altec proved in circa 1986 polar response measurements, the JBL 2220B is a near carbon copy performance wise to the then current 416-8B from ~200 up to at least 3150 Hz if this helps in finding ~affordable substitutes.

We can literally get 4 Faital PR15400s for the price of 1 GPA 416. Something I’m highly considering.
Yeah, spec wise it's mostly a 416 spec wise except for a higher Fs, so dual drivers with one rolled off for acoustic BSC in the pioneer's Vb = Vas/1.44 tuned to exactly Fs prosound alignment and driven with a modest output impedance tube amp should make for a nice vintage (toe tappin') performance.

Troy is suggesting I try the AH340 Azurahorn with full rollback, which is 600mm/23.6" wide, while the bass cabinets are 660mm/26" wide. Hmm ... might work.

DSC00907.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Cough ..cough ..:)
I think it’s REALLY important to remember that each of us have a very individual and differing ear/brain mechanism AND our acoustic 3D spaces are anything but similar. The shape of our outer ear is essentially a waveguide and not unlike waveguides, even the slightest variation of a mm can have drastic consequence to how sound is captured. We can have differing shared experiences all day long in regards to drivers but who’s to say really?…..there’s simply no way to actually compare those experiences. Frequency response measured near field establishes little……..measured response in the room at the LP tells us a little more, but not much.

Watching that knucklehead from GR research on YouTube and that Erin guy reveal the mysteries of the sonic universe after Convincing themselves with sighted listening always gives me a chuckle. Just give us the baseline measurements fellas because at the end of the day, the rest is all purely subjective……there’s no further point of reference until we’re all genetic clones. Stop the nonsense……..celebrate individuality.

Reactions: 3 users
Lynn I’m just late to this party. We are at nearly 800pages here, so please help me get up to speed.
We got a GPA 416 in a sealed box
and the SB acoustics Rosso 65cdn-T, with Troy’s 3d printed rear covers.
Besides high efficiency for your tube amp, what is the goal of this speaker?
2way from 100hz-17000hz? Are subs being used for the lower octaves?

I’d like to see some measurements of the
Rosso with Troys rear boxes to see if Fs is really that much lower.

@Bryan S. and myself are close to finishing a similar build but ported using the Faitalpro 15pr400 and the SB-CD65t. Debating on Troy’s rear covers to use with the Azura AH-425.

I think it’s REALLY important to remember that each of us have a very individual and differing ear/brain mechanism AND our acoustic 3D spaces are anything but similar. The shape of our outer ear is essentially a waveguide and not unlike waveguides, even the slightest variation of a mm can have drastic consequence to how sound is captured. We can have differing shared experiences all day long in regards to drivers but who’s to say really?…..there’s simply no way to actually compare those experiences. Frequency response measured near field establishes little……..measured response in the room at the LP tells us a little more, but not much.

Watching that knucklehead from GR research on YouTube and that Erin guy reveal the mysteries of the sonic universe after Convincing themselves with sighted listening always gives me a chuckle. Just give us the baseline measurements fellas because at the end of the day, the rest is all purely subjective……there’s no further point of reference until we’re all genetic clones. Stop the nonsense……..celebrate individualI have
I have no problem with that. Have you heard a reference class speaker based on Altec 416 or 414 ? Based on the current price they belong to reference class of drivers. So please , come forward all you Altec junkies and prove your point by pointing me to a reference class speaker based on those drivers.
Given the unrivalled performance there must be quite few of them.

Erin guy reveal the mysteries of the sonic universe after Convincing themselves with sighted listening
I listen after I measure. Always have. Always said this.
Just give us the baseline measurements fellas

I do. It’s on my website. I literally say this in every one of my written reviews:
“The review on this website is a brief overview and summary of the objective performance of this speaker. It is not intended to be a deep dive. Moreso, this is information for those who prefer “just the facts” and prefer to have the data without the filler. The video below has more discussion with respect to the technical merits and subjective notes I had during my listening sessions.”

And I link my video below this for those who want to see it.

Reactions: 4 users
Following Troy's suggestions, I'll be ordering a pair of AH340 Azurahorns and B&C DCM-50's (2" exit). He's had very good results with that combo. Maybe add a superweeter or two pointing at the wall behind the speaker.

Some have noted the AH340 is on the large side, but not with the bass cabinet 26"/660mm wide. And the AH340/DCM-50 combination offers the potential of a much lower crossover, which is highly desirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The LeCleac'h family of expansions have a very smooth Fc transition region, compared to other profiles (data based on Bjorn Kolbrek's doctoral dissertation). There seems to be a tradeoff between constant directivity vs smooth cutoff behavior, with conical on one extreme, LeCleac'h on the other, and other horns in the middle.

The LeCleac'h horns are part of a larger family of low diffraction horns, some with some pretty wild shapes.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I'm building a similar type speaker, I've been scouring the weeds for a 15" driver to suit my needs too. GPA is out of the question due to cost, so I looked at and modeled (WinISD) drivers from Acoustic Elegance, Beyma, including the 15Mi100, 15P80Fen, and one other. B&C, Radian too. The FaitalPro 15PR400 stood out at least in the modeling, and a lot of people have really liked it over the years, so that's what I chose. F3 of 43Hz in a 135L vented box, and all the other measurements look great. A couple of those others looked super promising but hardly any of them will get below 50Hz. Crossing it with the Rosso 65CDN-T and considering using Troy Crowe's rear covers to get it to cross a bit lower, which should, I hope, help them integrate really well at the xover, hoping it will look good at 700Hz. I'd love to go lower, but The AH425 (shipped today!) really wants to cross closer to 800 according to Martin. I know this doesn't answer the IMD question, but just thought I'd weigh in on some of what I've found.
Crazy I've landed on the same drivers! Though I'm using Troy's 100 liter bass cabinet designsl. In the end I'll pair the SB Audience with his ES-600. I'll be crossing at 600-800 Hz.

Reactions: 1 users
That's going to be a nice build. If you plan to cross at 600, ask Troy about his rear covers for the Rosso. I was interested and still am, but I can't cross that low because I'm using Martin Seddon's AH425, and he tells me 800Hz is a good spot for them. When I asked Troy, this is what his response was, I hope he doesn't mind me pasting it in here:

"Hi Bryan, the rear cover lowers the FS from 470Hz to 290Hz which affects the phase response an octane above FS. So it cleans up the sound near the crossover point if going down to 600Hz.
There is an audible difference where the driver takes on a more relaxed sound."

Watching that knucklehead from GR research on YouTube and that Erin guy reveal the mysteries of the sonic universe after Convincing themselves with sighted listening always gives me a chuckle. Just give us the baseline measurements fellas because at the end of the day, the rest is all purely subjective……there’s no further point of reference until we’re all genetic clones. Stop the nonsense……..celebrate individuality.
What evidence do you have for your assertions? I guess you believe Dr Toole sprews non sense too?

Paul

OK so I have a question regarding baffle edge diffraction and large radii at the edges. I was able to knock out the cabs for my 15PR400/Rosso65CDN-T/AH425 build, and had planned to put a 38mm radius on the left and right edges, but the way they look with the 36mm of Baltic birch edge showing, I'm smitten and don't want to grind into it. I know Lynn has made a good point for large radii but I'm not ever going to do 3-4" as he did, and from what understand, lower midrange and bass frequencies really aren't that affected enough to even measure let alone hear. This probably explains why so many big drivers are surface mounted as well. What I'd like to do is spray everything satin black but leave the edge grain with a clear finish, make it a feature. Any good science on this from anyone? Thank you, here's a couple of shots:
IMG_5872.jpeg
IMG_5870.jpeg
IMG_5868.jpeg