Beyond the Ariel

I'm really enjoying the hell out of this thread, one of my all time favorites. Much appreciation to all who've laid down lifetimes worth of very detailed knowledge, amazing for a novice like me (at 60)!
I'm not through the entire thread yet so forgive me if this has been covered somewhere, but I wanted to mention the build I'm working on, which falls right in with this thread:
I'm planning to use Faital Pro 15PR400 woofers in a 140ish Liter box, tuned to 42Hz. I know the 416s are everyone's darling, but I don't trust buying old ones, and GPA has priced themselves out of reach for me unfortunately.
I'm still not sure about CDs, but after seeing some of the feedback on the SBA Rosso 65CDN-T, it's my current choice, followed by the Beyma CP755Nd. The compression drivers will be attached to Martin's AH425 horns, which he's building as we speak!

I'm looking for any feedback those of you with more experience might have, on my driver choices especially. FWIW, I'll probably use passive crossovers, although I'm seriously considering going active, although the whole point of this build was to have a pair of speakers to pair with my little Alan Eaton 45 SET, so it's more likely I'll end up going passive, possibly with autoformers on the CD rather than an L-pad.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Bryan

Reactions: 1 user
As you gradually move outside the window, it sounds more like a dome tweeter ... a little less exciting, a little less dramatic. It never sounds like a horn, ever. It could, of course, be used with a supertweeter, maybe around 8 kHz, but then integration can get tricky.

I still have my first set of 425's, so I can switch between them at any time if I don't care for the Yuichi A290's. But I've spent lots of time listening to the very closely related TAD horn, and that is mighty damn good, seriously top-rank pro quality. I have no doubt that Troy's ES290 is really good, too. Any of these are miles better than the "constant-directivity" garbage in movie theaters. And require way less EQ, too.
Hi Lynn,
Thank you for this thread and your nutshell hifi site before it. Together they have influenced more than a couple of the speaker projects I've worked on going back to the end of the 90's. It's good to see you are still working on this "Beyond the Ariel" project". At one point in this thread, I think you were leaning toward the AH426 with a ribbon super (or semi-super) tweeter. Have you shifted towards a 2 way with the horn handling everything from ~600-800Hz on up? Was this because of the extended topend performance of the drivers like the SB CDN-65?
Dan

Reactions: 1 user
Well, the Yuichi A290's I bought turned out to be proprietary things with lots of IP restrictions, so I'll be moving them on.
@Lynn Olson

I agree with Marco.

Some clarification of the quoted text would be useful here.

I'm guessing that you didn't want to end up recommending a modified A290 radial ( that would only be available from a singular source >> inadvertently creating a captured market for that source ).

:)

I got burned on the A290 purchase. I thought I was getting a discount, which is standard practice for those of us in the trade, but a US importer found out that I was going publish test results and threatened legal action.

Yes, I know that makes no sense. At all. But frankly, I didn't want to deal with this person ever again, so the A290's are getting sold. If I had directly imported the A290's from the country of origin (Athos Audio) I doubt there would have been a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I really hope you guys end up using a Joseph Crowe horn. As you've probably noticed, Troy measures and publishes thorough measurements on every horn and horn driver combination he's making and sharing with DIY. His horns and other designs are always professionally modelled in true 3D CAD on commercial CAD software, Solidworks. And, I think Troy would be happy to simulate your horn configuration in real space and take whatever measurements you like. Troy is also now publishing the Gedlee gm measurement for all new horn and driver measurements. These measurements are very useful on their own, but what's really powerful, IMHOP, is that now we are approaching a deep database of many drivers and some horns all published online by Troy. So, we can follow along, compare, and then dip into this database. If others follow his measurement script, this database could really grow.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this thread, one of my all time favorites. Much appreciation to all who've laid down lifetimes worth of very detailed knowledge, amazing for a novice like me (at 60)!
I'm not through the entire thread yet so forgive me if this has been covered somewhere, but I wanted to mention the build I'm working on, which falls right in with this thread:
I'm planning to use Faital Pro 15PR400 woofers in a 140ish Liter box, tuned to 42Hz. I know the 416s are everyone's darling, but I don't trust buying old ones, and GPA has priced themselves out of reach for me unfortunately.
I'm still not sure about CDs, but after seeing some of the feedback on the SBA Rosso 65CDN-T, it's my current choice, followed by the Beyma CP755Nd. The compression drivers will be attached to Martin's AH425 horns, which he's building as we speak!

I'm looking for any feedback those of you with more experience might have, on my driver choices especially. FWIW, I'll probably use passive crossovers, although I'm seriously considering going active, although the whole point of this build was to have a pair of speakers to pair with my little Alan Eaton 45 SET, so it's more likely I'll end up going passive, possibly with autoformers on the CD rather than an L-pad.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Bryan
Who said 416s ( and 414s for that matter ) are everyone's darlings? They have no use below 60 and above 300 hz . Actually pretty useless drivers altogether. New GPA may have more life to them I dunno. How I loved idea of Altec reading the countless posts and looking at pictures ,especially the Shindo green ( though even he recognized original drivers are crap and modified them) Work with 515, 803A , Biflex . Ditch all Altec speakers designs. It's garbage. Plain and simple. Well ,maybe Laguna in Heathkit version with Peerless crossover. Whatever Altec farted out for home use is utter ,complete garbage.

The tests on current-production GPA 416's are linked above.

......modern driver has less IM distortion in the 100 Hz to 1 kHz band, flat response to 1 kHz, and is 97 dB/meter efficient...... Nominations are welcome.
Which drivers have you tested so far????

I've never seen much IMD info on woofers but I wonder how much difference there is between a 15" from each pro manufacture with a similar specs;
Qts/Qes <0.3
Mms <89g

1701777016044.png

1701777900326.png