Beyma 12P80ND + TPL-150

In my 90l cabinet, the 12p80nd has usable output down to ~50hz. But if you can raise below that frequency 6 or 12db with a plate amp or electronic crossover, you won't need a sub. The best in my view is what i am doing : a sub bass array crossed at 40hz / 24db.

The only midrange i would be curious to compare to the 12p80nd is the PHL Audio 2460.

thanks man. I'll give sub a try

Yeah the audiophile gods would not be pleased with me. But I need to simplify and free up funds and shrink the system too as we'll be on the move quite a bit the next year. Took it away over NY and it took me two car trips and 4 hours to set up at the new place, vowed never again. Wife not fond of the mountain of cables and boxes either, so no more 4-way actives in my near future, back to dinky passives for a while :( Been through this cycle of complexity to simplicity a few times over the years, bit like the seasons for me :)

a 4-way active speaker seems more like a nightmare of being in the middle of Norse Mythology!

How are the 12P80ND in the area 80-200Hz and also at 1000-1500Hz?

Used as dipoles, do you get any proper output down to 80Hz from the 12P80ND?
I doubt it. If I get them I would probably use them in a sealed box with ~40-50 litres.

Tried the JBL 2202H recone in a E-120 magnet, but it is not very useful below 200Hz. Not even when sealed. I tried the 2202H as a dipole and it sounded better but lost all midbass. And it is not very detailed in the midrange.

Rewind

I tested it on a dipole from 100hz - 1600hz and I couldn't believe how linear/natural/timbrel accurate/open/brilliant it sounds. I've heard countless mega dollar speakers out there, from Avantgarde Trio to WA XLF. 12p80nd just sounded as good as all of them. maybe performs better in a nearfield AB tests. I think 12p80nd could be a parts of utopia speaker and I think TPL-150H could be another part but I haven't received it yet.

Hi 1ogic,

How wide was the baffle you used for the 12p80nd, at did the 12p80nd load all the way down to 100 Hz?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

thanks man. I'll give sub a try

a 4-way active speaker seems more like a nightmare of being in the middle of Norse Mythology!

I tested it on a dipole from 100hz - 1600hz and I couldn't believe how linear/natural/timbrel accurate/open/brilliant it sounds. I've heard countless mega dollar speakers out there, from Avantgarde Trio to WA XLF. 12p80nd just sounded as good as all of them. maybe performs better in a nearfield AB tests. I think 12p80nd could be a parts of utopia speaker and I think TPL-150H could be another part but I haven't received it yet.

Hi 1ogic,

How wide was the baffle you used for the 12p80nd, at did the 12p80nd load all the way down to 100 Hz?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

in open baffle I lost some dBs in lower freq. areas. the baffle width was approximately 15" wide it was almost linear from 180hz-1db. I also tested it in a ~100l enclosure tuned down to about about 100hz. you almost can't get any deep bass out of this driver, no matter you EQ it or not. no matter what enclosure internal volume or a very wide (let's say ultimate wide) baffle used in order to decreasing step baffle loss. imo 12p80nd will need at least a woof or a sub

Last edited:
Thanks 1ogic,

How did the to configurations (vented box vs OB) compare soundwise in your opinion?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

in open baffle I lost some dBs in lower freq. areas. the baffle width was approximately 15" wide it was almost linear from 180hz-1db. I also tested it in a ~100l enclosure tuned down to about about 100hz. you almost can't get any deep bass out of this driver, no matter you EQ it or not. no matter what enclosure internal volume or a very wide (let's say ultimate wide) baffle used in order to decreasing step baffle loss. imo 12p80nd will need at least a woof or a sub

I think there have been lots of talk over 12p80nd and TPL-150H. one thing if for sure, these two products come along together really nice and both sound fantastic in their covering range. BUT there are lots of good speaker drivers out there, from Seas to Peerless, Scanspeak, Focal, etc... you name it, BUT only one let's say Wilson Audio XLF exists! and many other speakers. I think if we want to have a top-notch speaker using professional drivers like Beyma and all for a fraction of price tags which will make any audiophile faint, we have to work on a certain concept. we should search and develop. measure and listen. once we found the solution, we can proudly have thread presenting DIY-ers a project which will result in what did before

hi all

yesterday i sent Ray's prototype amt's back to him, as he will need them. Set back in place the Beyma TPL150, with Beyma TPL12p80nd, 1600hz crossover and listened some tracks . The difference is quit dramatic. I can immediately hear the coloration of cone speakers now. Something, i was not aware of, before listening to amt's. So amt's are really quit a improvement, and its naturalness is striking and awesome. And his prototypes are not even fully finished, and some issues he will have to improve, and work on. Once, a full range amt is ready, it will set a new benchmark of audio reproduction. :)

Angelo

hi all

yesterday i sent Ray's prototype amt's back to him, as he will need them. Set back in place the Beyma TPL150, with Beyma TPL12p80nd, 1600hz crossover and listened some tracks . The difference is quit dramatic. I can immediately hear the coloration of cone speakers now. Something, i was not aware of, before listening to amt's. So amt's are really quit a improvement, and its naturalness is striking and awesome. And his prototypes are not even fully finished, and some issues he will have to improve, and work on. Once, a full range amt is ready, it will set a new benchmark of audio reproduction. :)

Angelo

it would be great if you could come up with some pictures.
for me it's not about whether 12p80nd and tpl-150h sound good, because they sound really good, but I'm wondering if they'll make the final speaker sound "BIG". I don't know how to describe but many speakers sound good but a few sound big. by "big" I mean wide and dynamic sound. if you ever listen to Wilson Audio XLF you'll see what I'm talking about. as these Beyma professional drivers are capable of pronouncing high SPLs with much lower distortion than hi-fidelity drivers, I think the final result will be comparable to some of the best commercial speakers out there

it would be great if you could come up with some pictures.
for me it's not about whether 12p80nd and tpl-150h sound good, because they sound really good, but I'm wondering if they'll make the final speaker sound "BIG". I don't know how to describe but many speakers sound good but a few sound big. by "big" I mean wide and dynamic sound. if you ever listen to Wilson Audio XLF you'll see what I'm talking about. as these Beyma professional drivers are capable of pronouncing high SPLs with much lower distortion than hi-fidelity drivers, I think the final result will be comparable to some of the best commercial speakers out there

A few weeks ago i had 3 local audiophiles coming over, listening to my setup. Two of them own Wilson Alexandria's, and one owner has a B & W Nautilus / Jeff Rowland system. They did not say, my system was sounding
" better " than theirs , but they enjoyed it a lot, and one of the Alexandria owners liked specially the bass performance, and he admitted that it was not sounding that good at his home. They also mentioned how dynamic it was, and life like. And good room treatment. Beymas are pro drivers, and built for that. So high spl and low distortion is a must. They have far more headroom, than someone needs for home use.

Attachments

• amt 2.jpg
    amt 2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 857
  • amt 1.jpg
    amt 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 836
  • 3.12.2012.jpg
    3.12.2012.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 820
A few weeks ago i had 3 local audiophiles coming over, listening to my setup. Two of them own Wilson Alexandria's, and one owner has a B & W Nautilus / Jeff Rowland system. They did not say, my system was sounding
" better " than theirs , but they enjoyed it a lot, and one of the Alexandria owners liked specially the bass performance, and he admitted that it was not sounding that good at his home. They also mentioned how dynamic it was, and life like. And good room treatment. Beymas are pro drivers, and built for that. So high spl and low distortion is a must. They have far more headroom, than someone needs for home use.

uh thanks for the snapshots
actually I don't believe in mega dollar high fidelity speakers, USD 3-4K studio monitors sound much more accurate than many of hi-end speakers but most studio monitors are nearfield speakers with a thin sound. not much preferable for music listening. I noticed 12p80nd sound somehow between a studio monitor and a good musical speaker. recently I was busy designing some kind of lathe which can turn round horns, I had stunning results using 8" fullranges in Tractrix horns but 12p80nd with ~95db of efficiency made me regret using round horns. I know using a 12" driver as midrange is not so common, but the center area of the cone does the job, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using this driver combined to a front horn?

For those people who have used the 12P80nd in open baffle, do you have any suggestions for suitable 12" or 15" woofers to partner? I have a pair of Alpha 15A's lying around that I can try but have always wanted to try something else.

I tested 12p80nd in OB setting on a La Scala bassbin and a CP25 Beyma tweeter. actually it's a La Scala speaker upgraded with CP25 tweets (very smooth sounding tweeter). I replaced K-55 - K-400 horn of Scala with 12p80ND and set some attenuation for woofer and tweeter. the result was a much better-sounding speaker with no honkiness coloration in mid-range area which K-400 is pretty high on that. but you know what, La Scala is a folded horn which doesn't go that low in bass, it goes as low as ~50hz. 50hz is bass-shy to me, music needs more low frequency to be heard full body. the woofer I'm using in LS is CW1526 15" from Bob Crites originally made by Eminence.

Here are two drivers that work with the TPL-150H.
When the TPL-150H has it's back off it will be around 100db for one watt and both of these woofers sealed are exactly that,,,100db when in a sealed cabinet. The 13" takes a larger cabinet of about 8 feet but would be better in a periodically damped box of less than half that size anyways. The 10" takes about half the volume the 13" driver needs in a sealed cabinet.
Looks like I cannot attach these graphs.
I can send them to an email if anyone is interested.
Ron

I forgot to mention that the box sizes in my above thread are modeled at .7 for the 13" with a down 3db at 46hz and the 10" .8 with a down 3db at 67hz. There is another 10" with an SPL of 99db so would be 96 or 97db sealed that needs only 7 liters for a Qt of .7 but has a 3db down point of 111hz.