Betrayal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building a lookalike...maybe

Goody, can i have a Mercedes G4 looka-likey, with tubular space frame, alu panel bodywork, ceramic disc brakes, Audi 6x3 drive train and V12 diesel ?

Or would that be restricted to the happy few ?

Attachments

• bill-gates-gestapo.jpg
    bill-gates-gestapo.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 99
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But joke mode off for a minute - have you ever calculated what the parts would have cost you had it been a ricecooker or (apage satanas) a BMW?

Indeed! Parts for the Ural are cheap. It does use a lot of them, but it doesn't cost much. I got a new gearbox shipped to my door in Hawaii for $400 total. :up:

BTW, you were right- that's the service manual I'm reading. LOL

reminds me of the proud outpouring of New Zealand's motor industry - the Trekka!!

Since this is now an odd cars thread here's a pearl. If only for the it's five factory colours.

Safety Green
Safety Orange
Safety Red
Safety White
and everyone's favourite:
Safety Suntan!!

Honestly it was a sports car!! Who want's to buy 5000cc V8 gull-winged muscular sports car in "Safety Suntan!?!?!" Baffling.

EDIT: It appears it was designed by the same bloke who did Adam West's batmobile! No parachute though.

Where's GM? He's a big Bricklin fan. I traced down one rotting under a mango tree on Maui for him years ago. Could not get the owner to sell. Safety Orange, IIRC.

Oh and a Bricklin fan I am as well. Any car so utterly absurd scores high on my list. Everyone loves an underdog and the Brick is certainly that.
On five occasions I have spotted Bricklins in the wild. Four were Orange (I feel reasonably confident they were not all the same Bricklin) and one was red. Obviously a Safety Green one remains quite the white whale for me.

In perspective I have only ever seen 2 Countaches, 1 DeLorean and 2 Avantis in the wild. Making it a popular choice for the Silly Car collector round these parts.

Aahh… the 2CV Sahara!
Citroen made a couple of dozen or so for Total when they went loking for oil in North Africa. A number of them regularly 'competed' in the Dakar before they moved it to South America.

For odd cars how about Voisin?
When Gabriel Voisin couldn't pay his staff he got one of them, Lefebvre, in touch with Renault. Lefebvre eventually ended up at Citroen being instrumental in the design of the Traction Avant, the 2CV and the DS.

And there is the NSU Ro80, even disregarding the Wankel engine, this car was about 30 years ahead of its time. Give it modern rear light clusters and it looks like a late '90s Citroen Xantia, it was the first production car with ground effect and VW liked their semi-auto gearbox so much they bought the whole company.

Don´t mention the PaDak unless you want me to regurgitate.
It was always Thiery Sabine´s credo that sport must be affordable for all who dare...your everyday eduro, a knapsack with two spanners and one fresh underpant - off to Paris you went!
Nowadays...a cool million covers the ten days of it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.