Betrayal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mace, it´s typical idiocy nobody went on with that. Modern toothbelt instead of what they used...wow!
I still remember that "whassat now?" feeling - you accelerate pedal to the metal and the revs stay the same, at optimum torque. That ugly thing was bloody nimble, considering her tarmac ripping 24 horsepowers!

mace, it´s typical idiocy nobody went on with that. Modern toothbelt instead of what they used...wow!
I still remember that "whassat now?" feeling - you accelerate pedal to the metal and the revs stay the same, at optimum torque. That ugly thing was bloody nimble, considering her tarmac ripping 24 horsepowers!

Subaru is selling a version of the legacy with a type of cvt.

If it´s ~the same it´s typical AGAIN...engineers have a brainflash, beancounters say "no, the old stuff still sells" - and once the patent is not renewed you can buy it from Japan, with lots of brainpower invested to perfect it.

Hell, the last aircooled Yamaha bikes still sounded like the 50s German Adler engines they were copied from - only they were cheaper and had twice the horsepowers. :mad:

Ray, what still is completely undervalued - ex East Germany. Being a sattelite state they had to export to Mother Russia for kopecks and buy material with Western currency...I still have my PentaconSix. Bought cheap when The Iron Curtain came down. Camera uses 120 format film (pro format, like Hasselblad), lenses are Zeiss, camera is built as "flimsy" as a tank...in this case, no Japan import needed.:cool:

Pit

To the OP....I had the "Ram" '97' 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L AT. I chose the Ram for its solid front axle, strong but way lacking in travel...she would hit the stop on very gentle off-road expeditions. Being a professional mechanic helps of course...Wifey busted up a RF CV joint when she worked the truck like a tractor....pulling out some bushes(20+) with a chain out the back. Nevermind she did the "tension first then gas it" wrong routine, four tires chirping, fighting for traction...not to mention the AT trying to apply power...Its a good thing I wasn't there to see it. So I did up a new CV joint on my lunch-hour.....no big deal.
As a professional I saw the introduction of electronics over the years.....fortunate I was schooled in electronics far and above what any "tech" would have received from the factory schooling.
In 1970 my folks took us to two dealerships, looking for a new car...the 69 Datsun 4Dr 510 just wasn't working out. As a kid of thirteen I scanned the lot....A 70 Cuda AAR, 440, Hemi by the dozens...all shiny in the front lot. At the Milwaukie dealership, a yellow Superbird out front....on display.
What did my father buy?? A '70' four-door valient, slant six......Brown.
At church, in the parking lot, there was the "new" white '70' Boss 302 someone had...
Best truck I ever had? A '76' F150 , 360 manual box........the engine expired after awhile, but I treated that thing like dirt, emulated "Mr Majestyk" type driving..she kept coming back for more. I would like to acquire a '73' F250 2WD manual box, in "perfect" condition, yank the tired 360/390 & put a well built 390 to 428, 450+ Horse.........Absolute Nirvana.
Oh....and the great idea Saab had of putting the ignition key down low at the console? Stupid! Right where all the dust, dirt & crap accumulates just so it can enter the keylock assy to foul it up!

___________________________________________________Rick..........

Attachments

• 73 F-250.jpg
    73 F-250.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 68
VanVeen built a Wankel engined bike, the Munch used the four-pot from the NSU Prinz TTS. As far as I can tell the Titan used a similar engine with a Wankel-type (rotary) supercharger but I could be wrong.
I always had a soft spot for naked Hesketh and MV Agusta bikes.

Ever spotted the similarities between a '80s Yamaha TR1 and a '40s Vincent Black Shadow? Both are 1000cc V twin cylinder engines which are a load-bearing part of the frame, both can produce 70hp.

CD, my keyboard can´t do the Sterling sign...but when you think Ural, think thousands. For starters, they don´t. When they eventually do, they don´t lose oil, they just mark their territorry...and 27 horses out of 750cc are not a stunner either. Mind - they are happy with Russian black market petrol, which has a lower octane rating than McDonald´s salad dressing.:wchair:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.