Best way to destroy a Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12v DC at the rated wattage would fry the heck out of the sub's coil. Otherwise yeah, ac outlet at 120v and let it play for a few minutes not in a box. Maybe spray the spider before with a duster can to make it cold and brittle so it will obliterate itself, before the power signal of death. Be prepared for a ciruit breaker to trip if the coil somehow shorts or the tinsels burn and touch.

Re: Re: Best way to destroy a Subwoofer

Brett said:
C4.

This should be law for any doof-doof boy that disturbs my sleep.

Oooohhhh, I'd love to pull up to one of those boom cars at a stop light one day - with a flat bed truck and a stack of LABHORNS. What kind of music you think I ought to use? I've got some really good recordings of pipe organ....

Re: Re: Re: Best way to destroy a Subwoofer

wg_ski said:

Oooohhhh, I'd love to pull up to one of those boom cars at a stop light one day - with a flat bed truck and a stack of LABHORNS. What kind of music you think I ought to use? I've got some really good recordings of pipe organ....
Add some really bad PA speaker to make it fullrange, then blast along with some bagpipes played by a beginner, and a bass drum played by someone with no sense of rythum.
Oh, hang on, that sounds like a lot of rap and drip-hop.

theAnonymous1 said:

But how long could the voice coil withstand 144W of dissipation?

A long time, for any driver with a 3" or more VC. And after about 10 minutes, the temp will have reached about 200C, doubling the VC's resistance to 2 ohms, and it now only has to deal with 72 watts of heat. It can take that a lot longer than the battery can supply it.

Need more cowbell, er... voltage.

(Remember the opening scene from "Back to the Future"?)

I have the ultimate solution: 1.21 Giga-watts! Get four or eight flux-capacitors in a series-parallel arrangement- that should do the trick! I'd get them rated at at least 5.6 space-time constants, each (for quicker travel).

:rofl:

Steve

EnvisionAudio said:

12VDC at the rated wattage....?

Think about that for a second, please. :rolleyes:

theAnonymous1 said:

12V / 1R = 12A :dodgy:

12V x 12A = 144W :whazzat:

But how long could the voice coil withstand 144W of dissipation?

Well not thinking that the woofer is going to dissipate a specific wattage at 12vdc I was considering the fact that the woofer will not be moving and therefore won't be able to dissipate the heat. It will burn. They are designed to handle their rated power while moving/circulating air. Now maybe 12vdc won't generate much wattage at 4ohms????

Actually I've got a clarion 10" sub with an aluminum cone. I'm going to hook it up to a 12v supply that can only supply about 6amps. I'm tired of looking at it anyway, lol. I wonder how long it will hold up... possibly forever from what I'm hearing here. (walks off to find the power supply)

hooked up at 10:12, and only drawing about 3.5amps at 12v

10:36 and stinking but holding on

Well apparently 36.something watts isn't enough to destroy a 150watt subwoofer, lol. Stinks like a biatch though. It is REALLY hot, I wonder if the surround or spider will give out?

10:54 and still alive

11:02 and still kicking. My room is really stinking so I'm going to have to disconnect. At this rate unless the heat shortens the life of the epoxy and causes it to break down quickly I would have to assume the woofer would last indefinately at 36 watts. You guys will have to excuse me, it was kind of late, lol.
So my other suggestion of spraying the spider with canned air to freeze it and playing it with the ac wall outlet would probably be the best bet.

When I was first breaking in a pair of 12" Dayton S2's in my truck system, they stunk to high heaven at high volume. 400 real watt (2000 watt advertised) amplifier, bridged at 4 ohms. About the time the bass started getting loose from the Qts rise, it would smell up the cabin. Yes, that was clipping the crap out of the amp. After a few times, it quit smelling - presumably the volitiles in the adhesives finished boiling off. It never hurt a thing.

There is also a heck of a difference between a 400 watt sub with a 3" VC and a 150 watter. Hit a brand new 400 watt sub with 400 watts of music (you will need several kW to keep it clean) and it will smell for a while, too.

yesterdaysyouth said:
last time i dropped 120v across a speaker coil, it launched the vc out of the gap and on top of the pole piece...

200 watts a channel will do that. In my destructive college dorm days, we were seeing how far we could launch ping pong balls with an unhoused 12" speaker, and amp and a microphone. Came to an end when the VC got stuck outside the gap. It's not too good for the mike, either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.