Best TA2020 Amp On Ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BEST TA20202 Amp on ebay

Hi guy's

I just thought that I would chuck my two bob's worth in :p:rolleyes: I now have four T amps, all from different manufacturers;
Kingrex T20U
Topping TP20
Helder Mk 3
Hlly Version 2

They all have some things in common they have a TA2020 chip and they all are based on the basic Tripath application notes circuit, other than that they are all are modified in some way in various degrees.
I am happy with the sound that I get out of all of them! IMHO I don't think that any are the BEST!
I bought the Hlly amp for the inductor evaluation (in another thread) It was cheap and I really didn't expect that it would be very good, but was suprised how good it was unmodded. I have been using this amp for a couple of weeks now and can recommend as much as the others.

IMO if someone is looking for a small T amp to modify you will get a good result from any TA2020 board, read the threads, see what others have done and I am sure you will be happy with the results

At the end of the following exposure, respectively as a summary of my following words below, I am not any longer sure about the received opinion that the TA2020-020 is the best. In the meantime I think it could be that the TA2024C is the best (note well, not the TA2024)

Let's start:

I have looked the datasheets of the Tripath’s TA2020-020, TA2024 and TA2024C. First, both of the 2024’s have a little bit few output power than the 2020-020. O.k., that’s not so important in my opinion, but there is a big different in the Channel Separation. The TA2024 has at 2kHz 76dB, at 10kHz 64dB. On the other hand the 2020-020 has at 2kHz 80dB, at 10kHz 69dB. Otherwise the Channel Separation Chart of the TA2024C looks very strange. Could it be that Tripath has tuned up this chart a little bit afterward they saw the bad response in many Online-Forums, especially for people who compare it with the older 2020-020? In one and the same Datasheet exists two different Channel Separation charts (on two different unknown and strange measure units, they call it Inductors). On the one chart the 2024C has at 2kHz 84dB, at 10kHz 69kHz. On the other chart the same 2024C actually has at 2kHz 92kHz, at 10kHz 88dB. This is absolute contravene with the information on the third site of the datasheet of the TA2024C, the so called electrical characteristics table. There has the average channel separation 50dB to 60dB, and this is the same as on the bad TA2024. To be fair, it has to be said that Tripath uses in their electrical characteristics tables always different bandwidths on each mentioned processor. Anyway, it is strange. --- What do you make of it? ---

Link to the mentioned Tripath Specs.

Spec's

From reading the spec's of the three chips mentioned, you really haven't swayed me from my previous assumption that the TA2020 is better than the others. With regard to channel separation 'Typ 80db' for the TA2020 is marginally better than the others.

May I suggest that you purchase one of each? Do some tests and give some feedback

Hello All,

For anyone who has purchased a Tripath amp from Arjen Helder, I would be interested to know what (if any) documentation comes with his products. If there is any documentation, does it include things like schematics and/or suggestions on how to add features like a volume pot, etc.

Thanks,

Obe1

Arjen doesn't include schematics, but I think they're available in past threads here and he's quite good about getting back to you about specific questions.
I've now built 3 of the 2020 boards and have been very pleased. I matched one to a Sony ES player from the early 90's and a 2 way set of speakers using an accuton ceramic tweeter and a cabase 6.5" woofer in a corian pyramid and was genuinely shocked. I'd thought of my speakers as an expensive failure, but they're a great match for the 2020.

Hi mfong,

Thanks for the feedback and your insights. I'm interested in one of Arjen's MKII TA2020 amps for my daughter. Her primary music source will be her little MP3 player and since she lives in an apartment, massive sound levels are not required (and probably would not be appreciated by her neighbors).

Best regards,

Obe1

I matched one to a Sony ES player from the early 90's and a 2 way set of speakers using an accuton ceramic tweeter and a cabase 6.5" woofer in a corian pyramid and was genuinely shocked. I'd thought of my speakers as an expensive failure, but they're a great match for the 2020.

Wow... a $15 amp a great match for over $500 worth of tweeters...? :yikes:

If it sounds good to you, anybody else's opinion doesn't matter, but I'd have to think there was some other reason for your dismay.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Since product documentation is not included, did you find it pretty straightforward to wire everything up and get it working to your satisfaction?

I haven't put it together yet. I've changed directions slightly, and that mini project has been placed on the back burner.

it sounds a little eccentric I know. First way back when I bought the drivers from Zalytron, I didn't pay anything like 250/tweeter for the Accutons. My issue with the Cabasse-Accuton combination was that for an expensive tweeter the Accuton just didn't go that high. The Cabasse woofers are a bit on the heavy side and can sound a little slow and don't pick up a lot of detail. It was sort of the listening equivalent of being in an old Cadillac.

They picked up the wiry thin quality A/B transistor amps had (Adcom, Parasound, etc) Even with 300B tubes, the top end got a little mushy. The best match I had was a very low powered class A amp which didn't quite have enough oomph for the woofers on fast passages. The tripath has often been described as sort of a class between tubes and class A soundwise and for these particular speakers in a small room, it played to their strengths.
I'm not saying there aren't better options than a fifteen dollar amp, but Arjen's board is good enough to bring out the virtues of these relatively expensive drivers. fwiw, the Sonic Impact Super T didn't do that, the little extra power of the 2020 vs. 2024 made a difference.

For most of the last 15 years, I've listened to a pair of Scan Speak tweeter/woofer. Revelator and their fiberglass mid-woofer that I generally like much better. I did some catalog work for a speaker company many years ago so I took the speakers in trade out which partly explains why I have expensive drivers and budget diy amp :}

Wow... a $15 amp a great match for over $500 worth of tweeters...? :yikes:

If it sounds good to you, anybody else's opinion doesn't matter, but I'd have to think there was some other reason for your dismay.

I ended up getting an assembled TA2024 MkIII with separate power supply from Arjen. It came with everything listed on the Ebay page, and nothing more. Meaning..: no schematics or instructions on possible upgrades/tweeks.
Finally assembled a TA2020 Mk3 amplifier & 12AU7 buffer both from Arjen (had for several months but never got around to putting it together). Coupled to a MP3 player and a pair of Roth Oli2's and the result is very good! Just need to sort the lid out!

Attachments

• P1010202a.jpg
    P1010202a.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 1,097
Finally assembled a TA2020 Mk3 amplifier & 12AU7 buffer both from Arjen (had for several months but never got around to putting it together). Coupled to a MP3 player and a pair of Roth Oli2's and the result is very good! Just need to sort the lid out!

Hello borninthe50's,

Very nice compact construction you have there. If I may, a few questions:

1) Is that enclosure made of molded plastic or die cast metal?

2) What's the story behind the big capacitor you've wired up to the PSU?

Best regards,

Obe1

Hello borninthe50's,

Very nice compact construction you have there. If I may, a few questions:

1) Is that enclosure made of molded plastic or die cast metal?

2) What's the story behind the big capacitor you've wired up to the PSU?

Best regards,

Obe1
Hi, thanks for the interest.

The enclosure is diecast aluminium.
As the 3.5a 12volt PSU is powering both amp and buffer, it's acting as a reservoir for peaks in usage.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 937
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 899
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 903
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.