best speaker under 1200.00 a pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a killer if you DIY... for less than $1000/pair.

Fostex FE208eZ ~200$/ea
(http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/fostexdrivers/fe208ez.pdf)
plus T-90A ~ 170$/ea
(http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/t90arev.pdf)

here is the cabinet:
https://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/208ez_enclrev.pdf

just add cap to each tweeter and L-pad to dial in the tweeter to your taste.

Or this Danish (Jantzen) 2-way... should be with shipping just inside your budget as well..., more budget on crossover and less efficent but still a fine sounding option.
http://www.jantzen-audio.com/download/ja8008-tw034-kit/JA8008_TW034_article_v2_ja_web.pdf

Have you heard the CLS215?
No I haven't.
Hmmm, let's see, two 15's, a 6.5" mid and a horn on top. Now where have I seen that before? :D

Maybe I can find someone who owns a pair and do a side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 236
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No I haven't.
Hmmm, let's see, two 15's, a 6.5" mid and a horn on top. Now where have I seen that before? :D
Not sure....
What are the drivers and flare?

I made some that looked a bit like that last year as throw togethers with some boxes I had laying around and some spare drivers; JBL2225, 2123, B&C DE250 PT95 WG, DCX and some amps. Very good for 10 mins dial in and not much more assembling them. Boxes were junk and went to a council cleanup a few days later.

Maybe I can find someone who owns a pair and do a side by side.
It would make an interesting read. Not heard the CLS215 myself, and the few they imported sold fast, thought they'd make good sides/rears for what they were asking for them, about $A700ea IIRC.

I'd estimate that the Vegas average around 94 db one watt one meter average. The "balanced" poly film tweeters produced rarely exceed 95 db on average, and I doubt the 5 1/4 inch mid did either. Factor in some insertion losses - and 94 db seems about right.
We HAVE thought about it, and discussed it in these pages, thoroughly, with substantially the opposite conclusion.... :)
Well, recalling customers I had just like this, my points were

a) THIS fellow may really like that "rock and roll" sound and find the Zaphs too smooth...a condition which should un-learn over time, fortunately. Zaphs will definitely sound better.

b) Total SPL might not be enough without a bigger amp.

BUT: so true about the little tweet, I kept thinking these had a horn for some reason. My bad! I suspect the woofer sensitivity is probably bumped up above the tweeters', and therefore maybe a chunk more than the Zaphs still. If he actively biamps the NAD and Sansui, that should fix that problem.

However, if the Zaphs are 12" sealed vs. CVs with 15" ported, maximum displacement is a likely a chunk less. For this application, I'd recommend changing the Zaph to a cabinet with a large, free-flowing port. Since I presume the Cerwins have some crude tube, a big smooth port should close the gap on total output. (I don't know the Zaph 12 parameters, but even if it's more a sealed box design, an undertuned port can almost always be accomodated, extending the low end a bit and relieving some woofer excursion).

Pluto's target output is 115dB. Is this not enough? :cool:

Not even close. There's a plot on SL's web-site of Pluto+ ground-plane measurement, although the vertical scale is not aligned so that 0dB = 0dB SPL.

Peter Aczel measures 10% THD at 40Hz when running a frequency sweep such that a measured 85dB SPL is produced 1 meter from the speaker.

The Pluto 2 is equalized to have a 2nd order Butterworth roll-off at 45Hz. Keeping the midrange within its xmax limits you to a program level of 87dB @ 45Hz, about 94dB @ 80Hz, 98dB @ 100Hz, etc.

Mechanical limits are 5dB higher.

Adding sub-woofers with the recommended 100Hz LR4 cross-over bumps you up to 104dB at 100Hz and xmax.

I built the Pluto+ sub-woofers to go with my original Plutos in the second system to get more realistic output levels. The Seas driver allows for nearly 6dB more of headroom than the Peerless (more Sd and xmax) so it'll be better although they still won't be high output speakers.

They're very good (I'd take them over any single driver speaker or conventional 2-way with a dome or ribbon tweeter) but maximum SPL is not a strong point.

Last edited:
Reasonable off the shelf speakers

I listened to a pair of Peavey SP-2's on a piano CD yesterday. Sounded decent, but didn't have enough cd material to give a full trial- the shop had mostly rock CD's, not difficult to reproduce. I listened to the SP-5's too, the 2's sounded better on piano bass notes and were $499 ea this week. I got interested because some SP5's showed up on craigslist 100 miles from here, looked to me like old VOT design with a horn on top. Have huge power handling capability and "field re-coneable speakers". Give a pair a listen, I haven't seen anything of that design in a prebuilt unit in years, here in the midwest. Bose & Yamaha is what I am seeing in churches, bleah, all those little 5" speakers chained up in a Bose. I didn't like the Bose 901 when it was the hottest thing in 1973(?). I think the Yamaha speakers people are buying are dedicated PA speakers, don't even pretend to have a top end. Our church is miking the Yamaha piano and playing it from the roof through the Yamaha speakers. Bleah twice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.